Unpopular opinions.

2 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

I was at that game funnily enough- I could never work out why a wee plastic trumpet would cause offence while stewards don't seem to do anything about sectarian song singing real trumpets. 

They were banned in all grounds, apparently because they could be used as 'missiles' (if someone is determined to chuck something they wouldn't need to bring a silly plastic based wind instrument to do so; a c**t chucked a fucking coconut on to the pitch at the Edinburgh derby a few years back, and coins are never confiscated). Idiotic nonsense of course, although I'm glad they were banned as they were nippy as f**k.

I don't mind the world cup being played in winter,  why should they always be played during the northern hemisphere summer regardless of where they are taking place? 

qatar can f**k off tho.  I think this was the last world cup worth qualifieing for, a 48 team format is going to be shite. i don't like the 24 team euros either

no point in having elite tournaments and filing them with shite

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Have any World Cups been a failure? By what standards?

I remember there being quite widespread protests at the Brazil World Cup due to the huge money being spent in an impoverished country. I think they were experiencing a significant recession at the time of the tournament as well.

There are also the stadia that are built at huge expense for these massive events, then left to rot and fall apart in the aftermath. I don't know if anything changed recently, but I read years ago that, despite all the money that's made, not enough of it goes to the host nations for the event to be anything other than a net loss.

It would appear that the only reason to want them is the egotism of the folk in cherge.

2 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I would forfeit Scotland from qualifying for any major tournament for the rest of my lifetime just to see Dundee win one Scottish Cup.

Thats what I did with my magic lamp at the start of 93/94

Edited by invergowrie arab

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I remember there being quite widespread protests at the Brazil World Cup due to the huge money being spent in an impoverished country. I think they were experiencing a significant recession at the time of the tournament as well.

Also Mexico 1986

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Yeh Brazil is a great example of how not to deliver a major event. How they got it so wrong after using the stadiums for the Olympics and World cup I'll never know. 

On 01/06/2022 at 18:58, Shandön Par said:

Oh yes, forgot about that. What an unexpected treat that film was. 

Yup, absolutely brilliant fun. Watching it now. The 'sing-off' at the Russian lad's pad in Edinburgh is tremendous.

1 hour ago, Amarillo Bairn said:

Top Gun was Rubbish, and I have no desire to see the new one that's out.
I'd even go far as to say Cocktail was a better Tom Cruise movie of that era.

As a kid in that era, Iron Eagle was far superior to Top Gun. No volleyball or shite crooning, just blowing up unspecified baddies etc whilst using bad language and listening to some soft rock.

Can't say I ever got the big deal about Top Gun either. Cocktail was definitely a more entertaining film.

One of my friends at school loved it though, and his family rented it every weekend from the mobile video van that drove round their estate. However, that might have had something to do with the fact that they still only had a Betamax machine by the early Nineties, and the van only had twelve Betamax tapes available.

As a kid in that era, Iron Eagle was far superior to Top Gun. No volleyball or shite crooning, just blowing up unspecified baddies etc whilst using bad language and listening to some soft rock.
The Iron Eagle where they use WW2 planes to fight modern jets is excellent

9 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Iron Eagle is way better than Top Gun. 

It has everything; High School drama, an 80s soft rock sound track, a training montage and plenty of explosions.

The "Hades Bomb" is a particular highlight.

Top Gun is a classic and you're all speaking shite. 

The spectacular aerial fight scenes with the guitar motif over the top, the bromance, the ott melodrama and the many quotable lines put it head and shoulders above Iron Eagle and (almost unbelievable that this needs said) Cocktail. 

4dbbeb1ed01e6f8430ca493e1193483a.gif.e6326ece28d80219e810e1143f27a1f1.gif

I've never seen Top Gun and, after looking at the rest of Tom Cruise's oeuvre, I've not really liked any of his films I have seen.
In the same boat as you, never seen it and don't have much desire to see it.

18 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've never seen Top Gun and, after looking at the rest of Tom Cruise's oeuvre, I've not really liked any of his films I have seen.

TBF, some of Tom Cruise's films are excellent, especially when he plays a c**t, like Interview with the Vampire and Collateral. I also thought he was excellent in Valkyrie.

He's generally pretty good at choosing projects that entertain. I've enjoyed quite a few of his films over the years, even if I wouldn't say any of them were all-time favourites or anything. Also, he usually does quite well when he pushes himself beyond the standard action hero fare into something that requires more than just charm and good looks.

Unfortunately, you can't help feel there's something off about him personally, as evidenced by the full-bore Scientology con. Christian Bale based his performance as Patrick Bateman on Tom Cruise (who also makes a cameo in the novel), and it's hard not to think that he's a very high-functioning sociopath who's made supreme efforts to mimic human emotions and appear to be a nice guy.