Unpopular opinions.

I don't believe one person that says this. 
I've got post from a long time ago saying I couldn't care less if Scotland qualified or not, what's so unbelievable about not giving a f**k about a shit winter WC?

Just now, Empty It said:
5 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:
I don't believe one person that says this. 

I've got post from a long time ago saying I couldn't care less if Scotland qualified or not, what's so unbelievable about not giving a f**k about a shit winter WC?

I don't believe you. I think you'd be happier if they had won last night. 

Funny seeing posts about this "shit winter WC" all appearing after the embarrassing defeat. 

2 hours ago, jagfox said:

Ally McCoist is a good analyst at the football but he is a staunch, royalist tory voter who just had a rant about GCC not putting on any events for the Pkatinum Jubilee. He obviously forgot the royal wedding where they couldn't even behave in a park and how anything connected will ne hijacked by knuckledraggers resulting in criminal damage and social disorder. 

To be fair, I don't think anyone in the park that day gave a flying f**k about the royal wedding, they just wanted to go out and get pished 

On 02/06/2022 at 08:15, jagfox said:

Ally McCoist is a good analyst at the football but he is a staunch, royalist tory voter who just had a rant about GCC not putting on any events for the Pkatinum Jubilee. He obviously forgot the royal wedding where they couldn't even behave in a park and how anything connected will ne hijacked by knuckledraggers resulting in criminal damage and social disorder. 

I’ve seen lots of comments online complaining about that. I don’t get it though, if someone cares that much about celebrating it, why do they need the council to put events on for it? They can put on their own parties.  

On 02/06/2022 at 10:20, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I don't believe you. I think you'd be happier if they had won last night. 

Funny seeing posts about this "shit winter WC" all appearing after the embarrassing defeat. 

^^^ cannae wait to get his 'Engerlund ' top on.

On 02/06/2022 at 09:51, Empty It said:

Been saying since it was announced I'd prefer Scotland not at Qatar because I'd have to watch it if we were there, now we aren't there I'll not be watching it at all.

I was hoping for Scotland to qualify and pull out, appreciate it was extremely unlikely but feel like someone needs to take a stand either but pulling out at the last second or wearing LGBT and Anti-Slavery kits at every game.

However like you with Scotland not going I'll be doing my best to ignore it.

Me not watching the world cup won't change any of the horrific elements around it. I wish teams had boycotted it, but sadly cash talks too much and too strongly.

4 hours ago, Jambomo said:

I’ve seen lots of comments online complaining about that. I don’t get it though, if someone cares that much about celebrating it, why do they need the council to put events on for it? They can put on their own parties.  

I was walking through George Sq with my son yesterday afternoon, it was lovely - sunny, people chilling on the grass, no redacted word as apparently its racist fans pishing against the statues and having a shite behind the bins or scaring people.

Kinda like a really nice early summer day in Glasgow should be.

I hope it turns into an embarrassing circus.

I absolutely love the World Cup. Being only every four years, it punctuates my life. Every one I can remember, I can tag things onto. It's an institution and what has been done this year totally sullies it for me. I dont like it, I dont want it to happen again. World Cups happen in summer, and should happen with football fans at the forefront of any decision on where they go to.

None of this has anything to do with Scotland not making it. Scotland have only made 1 that I actually remember with any degree of certainty (98) and I still love the World Cup.

The World Cup's bound to be a "success" - neither FIFA nor the Qataris will allow it to turn into a farce, unfortunately. Huge amounts of money will be made, and Qatar will continue to be the trendy destination for wealthy c***s.

What I'd really like to see, as it's the closest we'll get to anyone being embarrassed, would be for Qatar to get absolutely turned over in their matches. Not just one, but several good hidings, just to underline that they're only at the tournament because their government was willing to pay massive bribes to up the country's profile among the rich and famous. It won't make up for the appalling mistreatment of the workers, but you'll never convince anybody important to care about that.

Sadly, huge resources have been spent trying to make their national side at least competent, so it's unlikely. If they can manage to dig out a win, or even make it out of their group, we'll be treated to the sight of the media fawning over the incredible underdog story of the plucky wee Middle-Eastern nation who could  :barf

Edited by BFTD
Sight, not sign FFS

Have any World Cups been a failure? By what standards?

I remember there being quite widespread protests at the Brazil World Cup due to the huge money being spent in an impoverished country. I think they were experiencing a significant recession at the time of the tournament as well.

37 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Me not watching the world cup won't change any of the horrific elements around it. I wish teams had boycotted it, but sadly cash talks too much and too strongly.

The World Cup should not have been awarded to a country that imprisons and executes people for being gay.

Football Associations can parrot that "football is for everyone" all they like, and players can wear rainbow laces all they like. These gestures are hollow though, because they cannot be bothered to do anything meaningful as long as they're making money.

I thought I was the odd one out who preferred to see their club win, than country.

I guess it's because I feel more vested in Dundee than I do Scotland. Both teams are utter shite and always let me down, but I always feel worse after a Dundee defeat.

I obviously want them both to do well, but I would rather see Dundee win something (open season with that line...) than Scotland.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

I thought I was the odd one out who preferred to see their club win, than country.

I guess it's because I feel more vested in Dundee than I do Scotland. Both teams are utter shite and always let me down, but I always feel worse after a Dundee defeat.

I obviously want them both to do well, but I would rather see Dundee win something (open season with that line...) than Scotland.

I would forfeit Scotland from qualifying for any major tournament for the rest of my lifetime just to see Dundee win one Scottish Cup.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I would forfeit Scotland from qualifying for any major tournament for the rest of my lifetime just to see Dundee win one Scottish Cup.

Is that unpopular?

I'd rather see Dundee win a corner than Scotland score a goal tbh.

19 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Have any World Cups been a failure? By what standards?

I remember there being quite widespread protests at the Brazil World Cup due to the huge money being spent in an impoverished country. I think they were experiencing a significant recession at the time of the tournament as well.

2010, but mainly because it was mostly shite on the pitch and had vuevezelas off the pitch (although it did result in an amusing incident at Stark's Park when we pretended to have one, by mimicking the noise, and the stewards went mental trying to find it).

8 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

The World Cup should not have been awarded to a country that imprisons and executes people for being gay.

Football Associations can parrot that "football is for everyone" all they like, and players can wear rainbow laces all they like. These gestures are hollow though, because they cannot be bothered to do anything meaningful as long as they're making money.

Yup, agreed. 

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Is that unpopular?

I'd rather see Dundee win a corner than Scotland score a goal tbh.

I was more just following on from Johnny's post regarding club vs. country, but I can see some at least disagreeing with that.

I'm nowhere near as ambivalent about Scotland (though I barely could care about Wednesday's game). I'd love to go watch Scotland in a World Cup (particularly the 2026 edition in NA, would strive to make an entire summer available for it), but I'd still happily give that away to see club success at Hampden, even for just one season.

7 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

2010, but mainly because it was mostly shite on the pitch and had vuevezelas off the pitch (although it did result in an amusing incident at Stark's Park when we pretended to have one, by mimicking the noise, and the stewards went mental trying to find it).

I was at that game funnily enough- I could never work out why a wee plastic trumpet would cause offence while stewards don't seem to do anything about sectarian song singing real trumpets.