Unpopular opinions.

15 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Do they actually have to watch it? Would be some laugh if the opposition turned their backs to it.

On anthems, my UO is get them to f**k. Particularly at major tournaments. Even if you have to do it on your first game and the Final. But I'd bin them completely.

https://www.balls.ie/rugby/best-haka-responses-351851

28 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Do they actually have to watch it? Would be some laugh if the opposition turned their backs to it.

On anthems, my UO is get them to f**k. Particularly at major tournaments. Even if you have to do it on your first game and the Final. But I'd bin them completely.

I don’t think they need to watch it but there you go - 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/sport/2019/oct/29/england-fined-new-zealand-haka-world-cup

you can’t enter their half whilst they’re doing their stupid we dance so a rule for every other country must be followed just so one team can do a pre match ritual after the national anthems are done? Seems pretty daft.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:

The Australian boy just wandering away and practicing his kicking is class emoji23.png

He was unbelievable in that game after as well.

That approach doesn't always work, pretty sure the Wallabies once just did a mini warmup as the Haka went on, and proceeded to get smashed by 50

7 minutes ago, Empty It said:

The Australian boy just wandering away and practicing his kicking is class emoji23.png

There was another one with the Aussies where they turned their backs but it seems they got a lot of shit for it afterwards.  

I'd be slightly worried that such actions wind the All Blacks up and they took it out on the opponents on the park.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

England literally do boo absolutely everyone else's anthem, despite having the worst anthem in the world themselves, and are the first to whine when they get the same treatment.

Not that it matters; I just find it amusing.

To be honest, it's indicative of a deeper issue with the neanderthals cro-magnons who define themselves by their National team and all the flag-shagging malarkey that goes with it.

Possibly amusing, but certainly interesting is contrasting their fans' abuse and disrepect of EVERY opponent with the reaction when, say Hungary abuse English  players in the exact same way that their own fans have just done, literally months and weeks previously. The reaction, I might add, of the FA. Not an organisation familiar with matthew 7:3, then.

Spoiler

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

The best response to the Haka I ever saw was France in 2007, who formed a line and, as the Haka went on so this line progressed to the half way line. At the end the French were barely a foot away from NZ, right in their faces and visibly fired up. Big Chabal was loving it and they went on to knock the All Blacks out the tournament. Class.

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's terrifying 

There was a time it was quite cool around the 90s. Then rugby went pro and everyone took themselves all seriously and it now does indeed look fucking ridiculous. It's like a west end stage show 

That particular one is terrifying as in it just looks like a bunch of old jaked white guys in Sinatras at 8pm.

@Melanius Mullarkay

13 minutes ago, Mr. Alli said:

That particular one is terrifying as in it just looks like a bunch of old jaked white guys in Sinatras at 8pm.

@Melanius Mullarkay

Happy days. Sinatra’s Karaoke, then Town House, Grizzel Jaffreys and a Corfu Kebab before the Underground.

47 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

The only response to the Haka for any team playing New Zealand that is appropriate is to break out the streamers and poles and do a bit of Morris dancing. It'll instil the same level of fear.

Morris Dancers scared me far more when I first encountered them, though I was quite young TBF.

I'll bet the Haka was probably more intimidating if you were about to enter a battle with the Maori, rather than a poxy sporting contest. Still doesn't beat Genghis Khan marching out a troop of his own men and forcing them to hack their own heads off to escape his wrath on their families  :blink:

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Incorrect.

Ban all national anthems that aren't the Soviet Union/Russia; Italy and France. 

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Morris Dancers scared me far more when I first encountered them, though I was quite young TBF.

I'll bet the Haka was probably more intimidating if you were about to enter a battle with the Maori, rather than a poxy sporting contest. Still doesn't beat Genghis Khan marching out a troop of his own men and forcing them to hack their own heads off to escape his wrath on their families  :blink:

The only battles that the Maori ever faced saw them lose 40% of their side killed outright. Because the other side had already developed rifles and cannons instead of a dance.

A ridiculously overrated martial society in the grand scheme of things. 

3 hours ago, virginton said:

Nothing sums up the ridiculous nature of egg-chasing more than their gormless fans 'going quiet' to let the opposition team do their stupid dance. Instead of piling on abuse and ridicule.

This is true but the fact you have to be silent whilst a professional kicks a ball at an enormous target is also mad, especially when you consider the noise footballers have as well as someone trying to save it and even more mental when you consider darts players have a massive f**k off party going on behind them and still manage to hit a much smaller target.

Tldr; Rugby is not a good sport.

38 minutes ago, virginton said:

The only battles that the Maori ever faced saw them lose 40% of their side killed outright. Because the other side had already developed rifles and cannons instead of a dance.

A ridiculously overrated martial society in the grand scheme of things. 

If you ever feel like explaining this theory to a living, breathing Maori please put me down for a couple of tickets.

I think the Haka is ridiculous. I don’t see why they get to do it on top of their national anthem as well. Why do New Zealand get preferential treatment and why do the opposition need to sit and watch it? Did England players not get fined for stepping over the half way line when NZ were doing it at the World Cup 2019?

They should allow, or even force, every team to do a traditional dance from their country pre-match.

It would be great to see the Scotland team respond to the Haka with a rendition of the Gay Gordons.