Unpopular opinions.

8 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
1 hour ago, Pato said:
Do the English pundits still go on about 1966 as much as they used to? I feel like it's less of a hing these days. Like the failure of the Golden Generationemoji769.png to do anything maybe recalibrated their aspirations to something more realistic, to the extent that Gareth Southgate can steer a team to moderate success without it feeling particularly annoying.

Na, when the chips are down, they talk themselves down but dont believe what they are saying then try to peddle the plucky underdog line when they start to do ok, last world cup a perfect example. Their humbleness was absolutely laced with arrogance and it was painfully obvious on the likes of Lineker and Wright

Lineker is 60 and was actually alive when England won something. You have to assume the younger generations have copped on a bit.

Lineker is 60 and was actually alive when England won something. You have to assume the younger generations have copped on a bit.
You would think that, but the inter generational hardon for WW2 wpuld suggest otherwise

28 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I recently watched a clip from BT sports where Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard and Steven Gerrard talked about their England days and the Golden Generation. One thing they said was that the squad were definitely split on club lines, with Man Utd players sitting together, Chelsea players, Liverpool players etc doing the same.  Gerrard contrasted this with Suarez at Uruguay where the players mostly play abroad, perhaps counter intuitively this fosters better team spirit. 

Applying this to Scotland the obvious split is between Celtic and Rangers players but there are only two Rangers players in the squad. I think the leaders in the current Scotland squad are guys like Andy Robertson and John McGinn so you’d hope they would avoid any splits.

Celtic and Rangers players are often friends off the pitch though, since both sides need to put up with the same shite so they know what the others are going through.

Never read the books, and I wouldn't say that they're classics or anything, but The Hobbit films are noticeably more enjoyable than The Lord of the Rings.

Really quite amazed that they were tolerable when I finally saw them. LotR is a stodgy, woefully acted, tedious masturbatory exercise in fan service. And I even quite liked Legolas in The Hobbit, which is a miracle.

48 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Never read the books, and I wouldn't say that they're classics or anything, but The Hobbit films are noticeably more enjoyable than The Lord of the Rings.

Really quite amazed that they were tolerable when I finally saw them. LotR is a stodgy, woefully acted, tedious masturbatory exercise in fan service. And I even quite liked Legolas in The Hobbit, which is a miracle.

I think the Hobbit films are unfairly lambasted. If you view them as adaptation they are fine and my son loved them. 

The Hobbit book is by no means perfect but when you read it within any reasonable time of watching the film trilogy the films don’t come off terribly well. 

For those with any deeper understanding of the legendarium, the Hobbit films are hugely problematic. Creating characters is just not on, and Tauriel was well cast but her having a love triangle involving a dwarf is just ridiculous. No elf, be them Eldar or Avari ever has any romantic attachment with a dwarf in the whole legendarium and if you know the origins it is clear why. 

Alfred was a ridiculous and lazy pastiche of Wormtongue. The big Golden Dwarf? Absurd. 

The LOTR film trilogy is as faithful to the spirit of the books as we were likely to get at the time, even down to the design of the Ring of Barahir.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

This is banworthy imo, LOTR isn't perfect but is probably as good as a massive blockbuster franchise can be. The hobbit films are the bawhair of good performances by some lead actors away from being a complete turkey, razzie worthy shite 

39 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

This is banworthy imo, LOTR isn't perfect but is probably as good as a massive blockbuster franchise can be. The hobbit films are the bawhair of good performances by some lead actors away from being a complete turkey, razzie worthy shite 

Climbing up through the toilet in Laketown. 😬

1 hour ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

I forgot to add that LotR fans are even worse than the films.

Worse, even, than Star Wars fans.

7 hours ago, Pato said:

Do the English pundits still go on about 1966 as much as they used to? I feel like it's less of a hing these days. Like the failure of the Golden Generation™ to do anything maybe recalibrated their aspirations to something more realistic, to the extent that Gareth Southgate can steer a team to moderate success without it feeling particularly annoying.

I didn't mind them too much at the last world cup but it did get gradually worse. It coinciding with the high point of Corbynism meant a lot of really funny meltdowns from lefties though. I still remember my Welsh mate getting briefly cancelled for saying he would support a Khmer Rouge XI against England. Loads of young Labour folk Googling the histories of Sweden, Colombia and Croatia as well to talk down to the Celtic peoples of the UK. Torrid stuff that I couldn't get enough of.

47 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I forgot to add that LotR fans are even worse than the films.

Worse, even, than Star Wars fans.

This is completely untrue. Star Wars fans are the worst people on the planet and I include myself in that.

9 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm obviously not quite as proud or bitter as you, as I always enjoy when they win "Most Hilarious Elimination"

Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good humiliation. Iceland 2016 was a classic of the genre. 2018 was more relief. 

It's funny because most English people I know would like Scotland to do well. It's a one sided rivalry and the whole ABE is cringey as f**k. Not wanting England to win is fine, laughing at pundits etc is fine, going out and buying the strips and flags of the teams England plays against is horrific patter. 

9 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

It's funny because most English people I know would like Scotland to do well. It's a one sided rivalry and the whole ABE is cringey as f**k. Not wanting England to win is fine, laughing at pundits etc is fine, going out and buying the strips and flags of the teams England plays against is horrific patter. 

This will be confirmed as absolute nonsense on the 18th of June. 

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:

This will be confirmed as absolute nonsense on the 18th of June. 

It's very much one sided. When England aren't playing Scotland nobody watches the game to cheer on the opposition, fair enough when we play each other it's a rivalry with a good atmosphere but it means so much more to Scottish people than English people. 

A bit like Rangers and Aberdeen in that respect but there's deffo more hatred in that one. 

6 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

It's very much one sided. When England aren't playing Scotland nobody watches the game to cheer on the opposition, fair enough when we play each other it's a rivalry with a good atmosphere but it means so much more to Scottish people than English people. 

A bit like Rangers and Aberdeen in that respect but there's deffo more hatred in that one. 

Quite an easy position to take when you’re virtually guaranteed to be more successful in every competition entered. 

The whole ‘I want nothing but success for Scotland’ would be put firmly to the test if we regularly outperformed them in some sort of parallel universe. 

I’m actually ok with the England football team as long as they are t playing Scotland. I watch the EPL a lot and a lot of the players actually seem like decent enough guys and those few o don’t like I respect as players. 

Kane for example is a bit of a clown but what a player.