Unpopular opinions.

It was also normal for humans to pish on the terraces and even at the bar in some of the least salubrious pubs until a few decades ago. 

I cant remember ever being in a bar where pishing at the bar was allowed. When I started drinking in pubs in the late 70s there were still some with spittoons, though

Got pished on a few times at Hampden back in the late 70s/early 80s. When you look back on it now, it’s a wonder there was never a major crowd disaster at Hampden in those days. People complain about lack of atmosphere etc in present all seated stadiums but no way I would ever go back to that shit

2 minutes ago, Mr Tourette said:

I cant remember ever being in a bar where pishing at the bar was allowed. When I started drinking in pubs in the late 70s there were still some with spittoons, though

Got pished on a few times at Hampden back in the late 70s/early 80s. When you look back on it now, it’s a wonder there was never a major crowd disaster at Hampden in those days. People complain about lack of atmosphere etc in present all seated stadiums but no way I would ever go back to that shit

It genuinely sounds dreadful.

Thankfully no one wants to go back to that though and instead just want to stand at games.

I've seen vT post pictures of pubs with pish troughs before. If someone can find the old pubs thread where everyone complains about Pubs Wi Character being replaced by places where you can sit down and don't need a tetanus shot afterwards, you'll probably find it.

1 hour ago, Mr Tourette said:

It wasn't allowed as such. Just not as frowned upon as it is now.

53 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

I've seen vT post pictures of pubs with pish troughs before. If someone can find the old pubs thread where everyone complains about Pubs Wi Character being replaced by places where you can sit down and don't need a tetanus shot afterwards, you'll probably find it.

I don't have any of these old images to hand, but here's a (poor quality) one of the Victoria Bar in Gourock that features its version of the pish trough:

image.png.5be40ee1821fdf3464ee37bf38238882.png

The key detail is the floor on the bottom left. The first black line approaching the bar marks the start of a trough of a good couple of inches, dropping down to meet the wooden lip at the bottom of the counter. Futher along the floor there is a small drain to clear the trough if necessary. It's probably deeper than the actual urinal troughs themselves in some bin pubs (like The Laurieston in Glasgow) and was not even remotely reserved for 'spitting tobacco'. 

The Americans went for a slightly fancier version with regular water flow:

https://content.kegworks.com/blog/a-lesson-in-tavern-history-the-fresh-flow-trough-spittoon

Edited by vikingTON

9 hours ago, virginton said:

I don't have any of these old images to hand, but here's a (poor quality) one of the Victoria Bar in Gourock that features its version of the pish trough:

image.png.5be40ee1821fdf3464ee37bf38238882.png

The key detail is the floor on the bottom left. The first black line approaching the bar marks the start of a trough of a good couple of inches, dropping down to meet the wooden lip at the bottom of the counter. Futher along the floor there is a small drain to clear the trough if necessary. It's probably deeper than the actual urinal troughs themselves in some bin pubs (like The Laurieston in Glasgow) and was not even remotely reserved for 'spitting tobacco'. 

The Americans went for a slightly fancier version with regular water flow:

https://content.kegworks.com/blog/a-lesson-in-tavern-history-the-fresh-flow-trough-spittoon

That looks  like an incredibly quirky feature, bring it back I say.

29 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

I get the feeling it's maybe not the coolest song in the world, but the guitar riff parts of "Everyone's a Winner" by Hot Chocolate I think it's tremendous.

I was in the supermarket a few days ago when this came on. Not muzak, the real thing. That got me thinking of the guys in The Full Monty dancing to 'You Sexy Thing' and then to the scene in the dole queue where they were doing their moves to Donna Summer. Before I knew it, I was pushing the trolley around with a little bop in my step. Great song but yeah, maybe not the coolest. 

7 hours ago, BFTD said:

Every time Hot Stuff comes on in a shop, I always feel under intense pressure to do the wee hip thrust.

Bloody films.

They'd better not play "Stuck in the middle with you" lest you cut someone's ear off

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

They'd better not play "Stuck in the middle with you" lest you cut someone's ear off

I do get the urge to do Mr Blonde's wee shuffle when that comes on. I'd never cut off someone's ear, though.

Huey Lewis and the News does make me want to kill a lot of people, however.

On 20/03/2021 at 00:08, Pato said:

About the size of a VW golf if memory serves.

It's not the dog and cat farts so much as all the cow and sheep farts in their food.

Cows and sheep don't fart greenhouses gases. They burp them. Methane is produced in their rumen by microorganisms called archaea and gets breathed or burped out.

Their poo also produces nitrous oxide, which is nearly 300 times worse than carbon dioxide.

On 20/03/2021 at 13:42, Miguel Sanchez said:

If you micro-analyse every aspect of life to this degree you'd be as well going to live in a cave.

You have to micro-analyse every aspect of life to this degree, because that's exactly where you find the sources of emissions that need to be cut. There is no easy answer to reducing emissions, no dominant source, no dominant country, no stand-out activity. Also, it's far too late to say "this doesn't produce all that much emissions so we can just ignore it". Meeting the Paris commitments requires us to tackle everything except the truly trivial - and the footprint of pets is far from trivial.

On 20/03/2021 at 18:18, Miguel Sanchez said:

I quite agree. Pet ownership is going to be very low down on the list.

It takes an area of agricultural land twice the size of the UK to produce meat for the world's pet cats and dogs alone. The emissions from pet food production is higher than the emissions from the Philippines, a country of 110 million people.

This is not a small issue.

https://www.ed.ac.uk/news/2020/area-twice-size-of-uk-needed-to-feed-worlds-pets