Unpopular opinions.

8 hours ago, GordonS said:

This got a red dot, which suggests someone doesn't understand the point of this thread.

I think you be misunderstanding the premise of a discussion forum. 

The thread is for posting unpopular opinions, but people can, and should, then comment on/agree/disagree with those opinions. If you post up “I think Adolf Hitler was a great guy with a sound philosophy” you can’t then use “this is the unpopular opinions thread” as a deflection when people tear you to shreds for it. HTH.

23 hours ago, BFTD said:

In a discussion about impoverished areas a while back, a colleague tried to tell us that St Andrews actually had some terrible deprivation dontchano, just as bad as anywhere else in Scotland.

Gave us a good laugh at the time but, being unfamiliar with the area, I take it they were talking out of their arse?

I'll let you decide based on SMID...

sta.JPG

Blue is most deprived, right?  :P

It seemed to be a bit of a "who works in the worst area?" competition. I'm in the East End of Glasgow sometimes, so I could've slapped that down as the trump card. I'm pretty sure they get donations from war-torn countries in Africa.

4 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I think you be misunderstanding the premise of a discussion forum. 

The thread is for posting unpopular opinions, but people can, and should, then comment on/agree/disagree with those opinions. If you post up “I think Adolf Hitler was a great guy with a sound philosophy” you can’t then use “this is the unpopular opinions thread” as a deflection when people tear you to shreds for it. HTH.

A whole other debate but red dotting something as benign as that is weird IMO

Spoiler

*gets into fetal position in reddiment for storm of reddies*

16 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

A whole other debate but red dotting something as benign as that is weird IMO

Hide contents

*gets into fetal position in reddiment for storm of reddies*

The whole premise of the reputation system is to show agreement or disagreement with the content of a post, no?

Of the few red dots I'd given they'll have been for posts I found 'offensive'/dickhead behaviour. I'd much rather challenge/question someone elses view rather than just red dot it. There wouldn't be much discussions had otherwise [emoji38]

I think I've given out something like 4 red dots in about a decade, and they were all for posts that amounted to, "grr, I really hate it when people give me red dots".

Might start doing it more, though. Seems like a cracking way to make new friends.

3 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

I like the tact of 'Grimbo' that Jim has employed where he will tactfully post about preparing for red dots. 

It can't be too long now until he start signing his posts off "jimbo", IMO. 

That’s a whoosh for me I’m afraid

3 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

The whole premise of the reputation system is to show agreement or disagreement with the content of a post, no?

Not for me, no. As 19QOS19 says it should be for offensive stuff...or revenge reds! 😉

My unpopular opinion is that I can’t really get my head round wanting to own a dog. I don’t mind dogs, and they can be entertaining for short periods, but I have zero interest in wanting to own one. I don’t feel my life is missing anything by not having a dog - if I want to interact with a slobbering animal I simply log onto Pie and Bovril.

6 hours ago, BFTD said:

Blue is most deprived, right?  :P

It seemed to be a bit of a "who works in the worst area?" competition. I'm in the East End of Glasgow sometimes, so I could've slapped that down as the trump card. I'm pretty sure they get donations from war-torn countries in Africa.

I live in Possil.

5 hours ago, BFTD said:

I think I've given out something like 4 red dots in about a decade, and they were all for posts that amounted to, "grr, I really hate it when people give me red dots".

Might start doing it more, though. Seems like a cracking way to make new friends.

I red dot any post that refers to them because 1) Fight Club rules and 2) it amuses me knowing it winds people up, sorry

I only post on the app so don't know who has dotted me really.  I logged in on the laptop once and found that a certain poster had taken umbrage to something I'd said and red dotted five unrelated posts of mine, very upsetting.  A terrifying insight into the world that @Marshmallo lives in.  I don't know how he does it.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I only post on the app so don't know who has dotted me really.  I logged in on the laptop once and found that a certain poster had taken umbrage to something I'd said and red dotted five unrelated posts of mine, very upsetting.  A terrifying insight into the world that @Marshmallo lives in.  I don't know how he does it.

The vast majority of the time I couldn't give a rat's ass about them to be completely honest with you.

Sometimes it does completely baffle me. For example, earlier this year I said it was a shame that a guy in his 40s had died of cancer, particularly since he had a 1 year old son. This was "red dotted" by a poster and someone pulled him up on it. I think there was a reply posted to justify it but this was deleted and the red dot retracted. I have said poster on my Ignore List so couldn't see what the post said so who knows really? 

44 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

I live in Possil.

I'm sorry; that's awful.

I live in one of the bottom 5% areas, if you fancy a holiday.

I only post on the app so don't know who has dotted me really.  I logged in on the laptop once and found that a certain poster had taken umbrage to something I'd said and red dotted five unrelated posts of mine, very upsetting.  A terrifying insight into the world that [mention=20881]Marshmallo[/mention] lives in.  I don't know how he does it.
I'm like this aswell, exclusively use the app. Can't wait for the new app which will inevitably show red dots and burst my illusion that everyone adores me.

Back on the red dot chat, you don't get notification if someone on your ignore list dots you.

Only reason I know this is because, during Mixu's great audit of the P&B masses, if became apparently that I'd really pissed off one particular poster without me ever having known about it  :lol:

21 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Back on the red dot chat, you don't get notification if someone on your ignore list dots you.

Only reason I know this is because, during Mixu's great audit of the P&B masses, if became apparently that I'd really pissed off one particular poster without me ever having known about it  :lol:

Yet another benefit of utilising the Ignore function.