Unpopular opinions.

Don't f**k with Cats and the Unabomber one were good imo, other than those they're too repetitive and stretched out, I watched the first part of the hotel cecil one and just laughed when I saw it was a four partner and clicked off never to return. 

Edited by Stormzy

7 minutes ago, Todd_is_God said:

I clocked Motherwell announcing the half time scores and happy birthday messages to an empty stadium on Saturday. 

I found that a bit odd.

I presume it's for the benefit of the people watching on the streams, but in our case the tannoy announcer's job has always seemed to exist for the benefit of the announcer.

15 minutes ago, Stormzy said:

Don't f**k with Cats and the Unabomber one were good imo, other than those they're too repetitive and stretched out, I watched the first part of the hotel cecil one and just laughed when I saw it was a four partner and clicked off never to return. 

Don't f**k with Cats was the worst thing that could've happened in this modern day True Crime era. We've always know that numerous numpties with Youtube channels think they are police detectives but now they've got an actual case that these nutters can point to and say "See! Youtubers can solve crimes!". I was watching the first part of that last night and thought it's good they've got interviews with the hotel manager and the police involved, they then weighted a good part of the episode to Youtubers who have analysed a 4 minute video and apparently cracked the case. Goodbye, credibility. 

True Crime has its moments. That Enron documentary was astonishing and ought to have acted as a massive wake-up call to anyone who saw it.
It obviously hasn't, but that's by the by.

See I don’t mind docs that focus on big business corruption or ludicrous examples of rich people scamming folk out of millions (like the Theranos scam or Fyre Festival) usually because those have a wider point to make about society or the system that allowed that to happen which I think is interesting.

I’m more meaning true crime docs about murders and serial killers which I don’t think really attempt to ask anything beyond “wow what possessed this person to do this?” and “did they do it?” Boring questions, usually boring answers. Don’t care.

If I was being a conspiracist I would claim that this sort of stuff is boosted because it doesn’t ask any potentially awkward questions of the powerful and instead distracts people with the odd sicko or murder mystery that doesn’t have a wider impact outside of a very small number of people but I don’t believe in Bigfoot so I’m not convinced.

13 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Don't f**k with Cats was the worst thing that could've happened in this modern day True Crime era. We've always know that numerous numpties with Youtube channels think they are police detectives but now they've got an actual case that these nutters can point to and say "See! Youtubers can solve crimes!". I was watching the first part of that last night and thought it's good they've got interviews with the hotel manager and the police involved, they then weighted a good part of the episode to Youtubers who have analysed a 4 minute video and apparently cracked the case. Goodbye, credibility. 

Ahah, keep going with it, I don't particularly like the vigilante YT crack squad, all people who's personalities are built around the fact they like cats -detestable imo - they make a few errors so to speak but the documentary is very interesting and they do actually come up with interesting leads from tiny details which is impressive. 

The best bit is at the end where they point the finger at you for watching the documentary and try and palm the blame on to the viewer like we egged on a maniac killer. 

There are a lot of the murder/serial killer docs that exist purely to satisfy prurience. They keep making new documentaries about people like Ted Bundy, and all the information you could ask for about these people is already out there and easy to find. Most of us here would probably just PM @mathematics to ask his wife, for example.

I'm watching the Jeffrey Epstein: Filthy Rich doc at the moment, which has been quite an eye-opener in a couple of ways, as somebody who was only really aware that Epstein was a wealthy paedophile with a lot of powerful friends. The guy appears to have made an industry out of finding young girls to f**k - it sounds like he had hundreds of people sourcing children that he could pay to screw him and his procurer Ghislaine Maxwell, who comes across as an absolute black hole of morality. It shouldn't be a surprise that Robert Maxwell's daughter would turn out to be an utter psychopath, but she's an astonishing piece of work.

Edit: one of those Fyre Festival docs was astonishing, as somebody that knew nothing about it going in. I thought it would just be a story about some rich kids getting ripped off...whoa.

Edited by BFTD

Donal McIntyre’s documentary on the Noonan clan in Manchester was about as true crime as it got. One of the brothers outed himself as a gangland executioner with 24 bodies on his record (and giggled about it with the other brother). He’s promptly stabbed to bits though, which saved a trial. The other, who surrounded himself with skinny young boys in bad suits was outed as child abuser. Felt like proper journalism and must have been quite scary to make (at the height of Gunchester). 

Edited by Shandön Par

19 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I don’t know if this is unpopular on this forum but true crime docs are the worst shite going. Utterly irredeemable.

I get that to be honest as the provide nothing but the view of the folk making the doc and that often pisses me off. However I like them.

14 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Donal McIntyre’s documentary on the Noonan clan in Manchester was about as true crime as it got. One of the brothers outed himself as a gangland executioner with 24 bodies on his record (and giggled about it with the other brother). He’s promptly stabbed to bits though, which saved a trial. The other, who surrounded himself with skinny young boys in bad suits was outed as child abuser. Felt like proper journalism and must have been quite scary to make (at the height of Gunchester). 

one of them changed their name.
"He assumed the name of Domenyk Lattlay-Fottfoy by deed poll. His adopted surname is an acronym for "Look After Those That Look After You – f**k Off Those That f**k Off You"

Leading on from something in PTTGOYN, I think that it's perfectly acceptable for the consumer to cover the postage if they decide that they no longer want the thing they got sent to them and want to mail it back.

Admittedly, this is a bit of a grey area when we don't have the option to go into a clothes shop to try shit on as I know a L in one store is a M in another.  However, when shops (with their changing rooms) are open, there should be no expectation for a company to cover costs directly associated with somebody's inability to order the item suitable for them.

Leading on from something in PTTGOYN, I think that it's perfectly acceptable for the consumer to cover the postage if they decide that they no longer want the thing they got sent to them and want to mail it back.
Admittedly, this is a bit of a grey area when we don't have the option to go into a clothes shop to try shit on as I know a L in one store is a M in another.  However, when shops (with their changing rooms) are open, there should be no expectation for a company to cover costs directly associated with somebody's inability to order the item suitable for them.
In an increasingly online world, smaller retailers will get the same treatment as they did on the high street if they cant compete with the likes of Next and Asos to name a couple of very prominent examples. You can effectively try on half the range of Next in your living room then have that which you do not want collected next day.

If theres a principle involved here, it should be dismissed in favour of good business, which was the case pre covid anyway but is being massively accelerated now. Online is the future, and like physical shops, there are good online retailers and shit ones. Guess who will go bust....

Aren’t ASOS haemorrhaging money partially because they offer free returns?
f**k knows, but the people want what they want. Someone is always going to offer it. It's going to have to get easier to shop online, not harder. I mean, peoples perception is already that it's out of line to have to pay for returns. That's only going to go one way. Someone will just find a profitable way to facilitate that, whether it's the retailer or some sort of delivery mob. Think how things have moved on already, with collect+ in all the cornershops etc.

I’d imagine it’s easy for online retailers to build postage and returns into their business model. If you don’t have the overhead of running a store it’s such a massive advantage cost-wise compared to high street retailers that also operate online. 

2 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

I’d imagine it’s easy for online retailers to build postage and returns into their business model. If you don’t have the overhead of running a store it’s such a massive advantage cost-wise compared to high street retailers that also operate online. 

Not sure that's such an advantage for dealing with returns. Next etc have loads of stockrooms and shopfloors to put returned stuff in and sell it again.  To get back into the normal stockflow of the likes of shein stuff would have to go back to warehouses in china. Returns are more likely to be a dead loss for the more stripped down supply chains. 

The issue online retailers have is that is people are unable to try the items on so will also buy several items (more than one size usually) and will almost certainly return at least one item.

If they can’t take this into account into their business model then their model is flawed.

As mentioned above, it looks like there is a shift towards online clothing so it needs to become easier to do the above.

That being said, if people are going to order clothes that cost £3 per item then I am not sure they can expect the items to be the best fit

6 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Not sure that's such an advantage for dealing with returns. Next etc have loads of stockrooms and shopfloors to put returned stuff in and sell it again.  To get back into the normal stockflow of the likes of shein stuff would have to go back to warehouses in china. Returns are more likely to be a dead loss for the more stripped down supply chains. 

I tend to just buy a summer wardrobe then a winter wardrobe, in the stores. Watching The Clothes Show as a nipper was good training. 

7 minutes ago, Aufc said:

The issue online retailers have is that is people are unable to try the items on so will also buy several items (more than one size usually) and will almost certainly return at least one item.

My other half does this all the time, although in the case of Next she'll take the unwanted garments to the retail park store when she's in Aberdeen (ie no postage involved).  I'm led to believe that they have a drop off area dedicated to such things.

Personally, I'm one of the types who never buys clothes online and instead will head into town with a wish list in my head.  The result is a handful of trips per year in which a bunch of well fitting clothes are bought en masse within a couple of hours.  Not exactly a hardship.

My other half does this all the time, although in the case of Next she'll take the unwanted garments to the retail park store when she's in Aberdeen (ie no postage involved).  I'm led to believe that they have a drop off area dedicated to such things.
Personally, I'm one of the types who never buys clothes online and instead will head into town with a wish list in my head.  The result is a handful of trips per year in which a bunch of well fitting clothes are bought en masse within a couple of hours.  Not exactly a hardship.
Doesnt leave much scope to get fat m8. No use.