Unpopular opinions.

On 27/12/2020 at 22:25, Gus Setsniffer said:

Derry Girls is better than Father Ted

Both excellent.

Father Ted is better.

On an unrelated note, Jools Holland's Hootenanny is and always has been tedious rubbish.

It's even worse than the Scottish shite it's meant to provide an alternative to.

It's not been without upsides.
Whilst there are of course people who've had bad years this has been one of my better ones. My savings account has never been healthier and I've spent a lot of it sat on benefits improving myself in other ways rather than going into work I wasn't that enthusiastic about anyway.

Of course there have been bad elements. I really miss sport and covid took away a pretty exciting opportunity in Uzbekistan. But focusing on the negative and repeatedly announcing how terrible things have been isn't helping anyone's mental health.

Also, people saying "can't wait to see the back of 2020!" as if years have personalities or the earth passing an arbitrary point in space makes any fucking difference to daily reality is the calling card of a moron.

50 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Whilst there are of course people who've had bad years this has been one of my better ones. My savings account has never been healthier and I've spent a lot of it sat on benefits improving myself in other ways rather than going into work I wasn't that enthusiastic about anyway.

You're getting a greenie for that purely because of the seethe you'll have engendered in the Daily Heil readers.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

Of course there have been bad elements. I really miss sport and covid took away a pretty exciting opportunity in Uzbekistan. But focusing on the negative and repeatedly announcing how terrible things have been isn't helping anyone's mental health.

Also, people saying "can't wait to see the back of 2020!" as if years have personalities or the earth passing an arbitrary point in space makes any fucking difference to daily reality is the calling card of a moron.

Quite enjoyed not having to face the forced social events. Really enjoyed getting to spend time walking the dog, getting through books etc. Work was hellish busy but decided to pack it all in to lead a simpler life. As with much in life these days, nuance is replace by homogeneity. I wish instead of this “narrative” of “getting back to normal” there was more emphasis on how the pandemic came about and how for the sake of the environment we could all lead simpler lives. 

Edited by Shandön Par

12 minutes ago, Shandön Par said:

I wish instead of this “narrative” of “getting back to normal” there was more emphasis on how the pandemic came about and how for the sake of the environment we could all lead simpler lives. 

That's something I've noticed as well.  Why go back to normal when normal was pish?  This is actually a great opportunity to change society for the better.  It won't happen though because the pandemic has shown that a fairly significant minority of the population are self important morons.

Edited by Highland Capital

No, that should be Scots Wa Hae instead. Specifically, the first two and final verses:

Scots, wha hae wi Wallace bled,
Scots, wham Bruce has aften led,
Welcome tae yer gory bed,
Or tae victorie.

Now's the day, an now's the hour:
See the front o battle lour,
See approach proud Edward's power 
Chains and Slaverie.

Lay the proud usurpers low,
Tyrants fall in every foe,
Liberty's in every blow! –
Let us do or dee.

The republican anthem that Burns was too scared to commit to because anti-Jacobin Britain would have executed him for treason in the 1790s. Something that's rarely pointed out in the gammon history books about British freedom against the horrid revolutionaries. 

Edited by vikingTON

17 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

This is more of a personal one but I haven't hated 2020 in the way some people have.  I've enjoyed the time off work.

Keeping communication to a minimum and with a select few at work has been brilliant.

14 hours ago, Shandön Par said:

Quite enjoyed not having to face the forced social events. Really enjoyed getting to spend time walking the dog, getting through books etc. Work was hellish busy but decided to pack it all in to lead a simpler life. As with much in life these days, nuance is replace by homogeneity. I wish instead of this “narrative” of “getting back to normal” there was more emphasis on how the pandemic came about and how for the sake of the environment we could all lead simpler lives. 

Shut up Mahatma.

10 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

Auld Lang Syne should be Scotland's national anthem.

...If you want half the country hanging out the loft by lunch time.

Actually...