Unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, Funky Nosejob said:

If you are going to be driving around in your “money pit”, you might as well do it in one that makes you smile when you get into it and drive.

Na. You might aswell select one that meets your practical needs, since driving is not fun in this country. It exposes you to some of the worst behaviour from others you can imagine and is frustrating. 

Il agree if I had spare money I'd have a nicer car, but the amount of folk spending upwards of 500 notes per month to have a big f**k off Audi whilst they still burn money on a mortgage just blows my mind

15 minutes ago, Funky Nosejob said:

If you are going to be driving around in your “money pit”, you might as well do it in one that makes you smile when you get into it and drive.

This is my take on it as well. A decent car is the difference between any reasonable length journey being a slog and at least tolerate.

16 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Na. You might aswell select one that meets your practical needs, since driving is not fun in this country. It exposes you to some of the worst behaviour from others you can imagine and is frustrating. 

Il agree if I had spare money I'd have a nicer car, but the amount of folk spending upwards of 500 notes per month to have a big f**k off Audi whilst they still burn money on a mortgage just blows my mind

Remember that the highway code doesn't apply to Audi drivers, which gives them lots advantages. 

For clarity, the better car I can afford, the better car I will have. In the same way as I would buy the best pots and pans I could afford.

It's this thing about folk taking cars outwith their means that I find utterly mental. I would sacrifice nothing of my life to pay monthly to have a magic big power drill, or a really nice lamp and IMO the car is of the exact same ilk

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Na. You might aswell select one that meets your practical needs, since driving is not fun in this country. It exposes you to some of the worst behaviour from others you can imagine and is frustrating

My previous car was a VW Passat Estate, bought because we needed a large family car. Every morning as I walked out the door, my heart would sink as I saw the grey lump on the driveway. Every time I hit the accelerator at the apex of a corner, the turbo lag would have me in near tears. There was absolutely no joy whatsoever in owning this reliable, sensible car.

Current car is a 9 year old Alfa Romeo 159, owned since new. It’s had it’s brakes, suspension and gearbox replaced, amongst several other smaller repairs. There’s very little storage space in the car. It’s uneconomical in city driving and a bit noisy on the motorway. 
There are reasons I still own it, however. Basically, it’s a car that makes me smile when I see it and when I drive it. It’s serious joy on the A class roads. 
If you’re resigned to losing money on your car, this is a far healthier way of doing it.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

For clarity, the better car I can afford, the better car I will have. In the same way as I would buy the best pots and pans I could afford.

It's this thing about folk taking cars outwith their means that I find utterly mental. I would sacrifice nothing of my life to pay monthly to have a magic big power drill, or a really nice lamp and IMO the car is of the exact same ilk

Agree with this. 

We had finance that we could barely afford on a CLK200 and the car looked shite before the 5 years was up. 

We're in a much better position now but I still won't entertain finance for a motor. 

Bought a nearly new 16 plate Insignia for 12k, just made the last payment on it & the only issue I have had with it is the Nox sensor which will have to be replaced before it's MOT. Aside from slightly shabby trim & the most annoying SatNav in the world, it is every bit as comfortable and performs just as well as the BMW 320 I had before as a company car & has the most boot space known to mankind. Probably the cheapest in it's class but I wouldn't swap it for any similar car.

My dad was always buying bangers and tinkering about with them. His pal used to shake his head and say "for the money he shells out every year he should just buy a decent second hand car that will last more than a year or two. I think he just likes trying to fix them"

I would buy cars at the car auctions too and the last three managed to last quite well. But I got fed up shelling out at MOT time. So I bought a new car last time with money I'd saved up and am happy with it- it's a cheaper make but goes well.

7 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Not a great year for my car to be honest. Sat outside the house doing sweet f**k all for the past 9 months the lazy twat.  Usually do about 10k per annum but on course for about half that.

I thought you just pottered about Dundee scraping ink out of old cartridges and mixing it in concrete. 

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Paying up after losing a bet shouldn't be commended, it should be the bare minimum expected of someone. What's become of society if staying true to your word is considered a saintly act?

I'd agree but on an anonymous online community where its so easy to cut and run I think it deserves praise. People who close accounts or just abandon them deserve hunted down. If you're not going to pay and be a shitehouse, just stick around and take the abuse.