Unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

I like to apply the same logic here as I do when declaring that McDonalds is fantastic.

Aye its low grade garbage, aye I know I shouldnt consume a lot of it or il get a spongy brain, and there are better products available, but f**k me do I love a quarter pounder/bit of hulk smash/lightsaber duel all the same.

Exactly, but you don't say the quarter pounder is a actually a lot more wholesome than people think 

Just now, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Exactly, but you don't say the quarter pounder is a actually a lot more wholesome than people think 

Well you see the thing most folk dont understand about the quarter pounder, because they havent bothered with the source material....

29 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Marvel films are just not very good. But because they know they'll get laughed at for liking kids films with lots of explosions people feel the need to say that characters looking a bit sad is a great depiction of PTSD or grief. At least just say it's a bit of throwaway fun

This was a good tweet I saw about this. 

9 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I like to apply the same logic here as I do when declaring that McDonalds is fantastic.

Aye its low grade garbage, aye I know I shouldnt consume a lot of it or il get a spongy brain, and there are better products available, but f**k me do I love a quarter pounder/bit of hulk smash/lightsaber duel all the same.

To be a Marvel (or DC if you're insane as well) fan about this you would have to sincerely argue that the Golden Arches are our cultural monuments equivalent to the Pyramids or Hagia Sophia and believe what McDonalds says about itself in its adverts where a single dad bonds with his son over a Big Mac.

Just now, NotThePars said:

This was a good tweet I saw about this. 

To be a Marvel (or DC if you're insane as well) fan about this you would have to sincerely argue that the Golden Arches are our cultural monuments equivalent to the Pyramids or Hagia Sophia and believe what McDonalds says about itself in its adverts where a single dad bonds with his son over a Big Mac.

I like the one where McDonalds supply gherkins to a father to be, for his pregnant wifes cravings. Fucking hell..... Just worry about the meat to cheese ratio and make sure the chips get all that salt horses over them whilst they are still greasy enough to make it cling on. 

4 hours ago, Mr. Alli said:

Ah, a different view is "a complete nonsense" and I "need to" do something? 

Yes, not an aggressive or angry like response at all. 

Sounds like we'll just keep going round in circles here, so you can keep thinking I'm genuinely sitting at home angry and I shall disagree whilst not sitting at home angry.

These films are all fine but they are as Martin Scorcese accurately said the equivalent of themepark rides. It's the weird nerds imbuing them with meaning and substance that they simply don't contain that folk are mocking by saying they're for kids.
I love Scorcese films and have enjoyed the few superhero films I've watched so I'm really not in either camp here. But seeing a grown man transform into a big green monster was far more believable than a 76 year old Robert DeNiro beating someone up in The Irishman.

Superhero films are fine if you're in the right mood.
Some of them are deep like the new batman or watchmen.
I heard the invisible man is supposed to be decent so will give it a shot.

Cant get excited about them though and think that they are kicking the arse out of them now and saturating the industry a bit. Maybe this is where the hate comes from?

Getting annoyed about them not being deep and meaningful is a bit like complaining why mcdonalds doesn't serve Michelin star type food. Hearing people pass them off as works of art is daft though.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Sounds like we'll just keep going round in circles here, so you can keep thinking I'm genuinely sitting at home angry and I shall disagree whilst not sitting at home angry.

Is it ok to be pissed off when it's raining?

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

I quite enjoy how indignant DA gets.

I also think that it's a bit of a pointless argument whether something is "for kids". Since such things can clearly still be enjoyed. Toy Story and Turkey Drummers and Haribos are things made for kids. Yet any adult who cant enjoy such things is generally a joyless p***k.

Mango on a pizza and now Turkey Drummers?

742C264E-87FE-42E7-9C02-CD434332B96C.gif

12 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

How dare folk like something!

Incidentally those films are for everyone, not just kids. There are various themes covered that are very adult in nature, such as PTSD, grief and other things.

Really unsure where the sneering "they're for kids!!!" attitude comes from. It's a very 'yer da' type of belief. They're no more silly than James Bond films for example, but folk don't say James Bond films are for kids.

Yes, yes, 'OFTW' with arrows etc. Patter.

There are lots of other films that cover PTSD and grief in a much better way, a robot being sad because another robot killed his best robot mate in an explosion is hardly good storytelling. 

You're proving my point about them being for kids with your raging child like response. 

16 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Cars are fucking shite. An absolute money pit. Treating it as anything more than a tool is nonsense.

Totally agree.  A car is a metal box with wheels to get you from a to b. 

But judging by the car park at my work, a lot of people are spending a lot of cash each month trying to impress others/boost their self-image. I just don't get it.

Edited by Academically Deficient
Spelling

7 minutes ago, Academically Deficient said:

Totally agree.  A car is a metal box with wheels to get you from a to b. 

But judging by the car park at my work, a lot of people are spending a lot of cash each month trying to impress others/boost their self-image. I just don't get it.

Those people would probably argue that it's actually more cost-effective to buy a better engineered car. 

For example, the car I'm driving just now has 112k on the clock, sails through MOTs and still performs close to what it would have fresh out of the factory. When I compare it with the Fiat Brava I had when I first passed, I'd be willing to pay extra every time as I'm saving money by not having a monthly visit to the garage. 

40 minutes ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Those people would probably argue that it's actually more cost-effective to buy a better engineered car. 

For example, the car I'm driving just now has 112k on the clock, sails through MOTs and still performs close to what it would have fresh out of the factory. When I compare it with the Fiat Brava I had when I first passed, I'd be willing to pay extra every time as I'm saving money by not having a monthly visit to the garage. 

Could be. But I know what they earn 😄

Modern cars are much more reliable. I dont think they are spending fortunes on new Audis and Jags to reduce their garage bill.

In your case though, I  understand if you've had a bad experience with a shit car you're maybe more likely to want something decent.

I can see how people would be into cars. A few guys in my work like doing up cars, one bought a 1984 Porsche and restored it. It’s not something I would enjoy, or could do tbf, but I can see the pleasure in tinkering and building things.

1 minute ago, Funky Nosejob said:

If you are going to be driving around in your “money pit”, you might as well do it in one that makes you smile when you get into it and drive.

Yip.  I spent years driving bangers, I’m not a car enthusiast but I enjoy driving something that is reliable, safe and comfortable.