Unpopular opinions.

6 hours ago, The OP said:

Shakespeare missed a trick by making Hamlet a mere 4 hours long as he could’ve fleshed out Polonius’s servant Reynaldo a lot more.

Reynaldo was just a Bairnardo dotting alias.

On 20/04/2020 at 19:51, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Kooks (and Razorlight) were 2006. The Kooks were at least, Razorlight's first album was earlier than that but the breakthrough came later. Razorlight were also much better, and Johnny Borrell somehow managed to parlay his fame into pumping Kirsten Dunst, so I have some begrudging respect for him.

I miss indie landfill tbh, it was still better than the shite in the charts nowadays. 

Razorlights first album with Golden touch was in 2004 then the one with America was 2006. 

55 minutes ago, throbber said:

Razorlights first album with Golden touch was in 2004 then the one with America was 2006. 

I know, I said their first album was earlier. It had nowhere near the mainstream impact as their self-titled second album, which had In the Morning and America on it. 

5 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Speaking of around that sort of era does anyone remember there was this very brief spell where the look was like the mullet hair of a scheme goblin who has just let it grow out without styling it, plus like a ghost beard? Daniel Bedingfield and Brian McFadden sported it, I'm thinking around 2005.

2000s fashion was mental and I don't think they were on the level of cocaine and quaaludes consumption that 80s celebrities were on.

11 hours ago, throbber said:

The American public wouldn’t really have fully appreciated the dry humour of the British show so needed a slapstick version. I agree that they’re not really comparable as the U.K. version had 12 episodes and the American one has 250+ but they are both fantastic, there is hardly an episode in the US one that goes by without something outrageously funny happening. My biggest laugh so far (I’m on series 6) was when Jim faxed Dwight pretending to be from the future telling him the coffee was poisoned and then Dwight charged the length of the office whilst screaming to slap the coffee out of Stanley’s hand.  Usually something whacky like that happens before the opening credits even start which I am also a massive fan of.

My favourite bits of the U.K. office are less obvious moments like how David and Gareth big up Chris Finch as this intellectual powerhouse but when he makes an appearance is the most loathsome, boorish, chauvinistic pig imaginable who refers to his penis as a single barrel pump action yogurt rifle. I also think the character (who’s name I can’t remember) who sits next to Tim in series 2 is criminally underrated and is one I can relate to most IRL. I’m also a massive fan of how Neil Godwin is petty much exactly the individual David Brent perceives himself to be ie well respected by his employees but still funny and approachable. 

I think it’s interesting to compare David and Michael though as they really aren’t that much alike. David is a genuinely tragic and unfunny man who isn’t respected by his staff and this is evident with his relationship with Chris Finch as Brent refers to him as a good friend of his but Finch is nasty to him almost all the time and calls him a fat waste of space because they never won the pub quiz. Michael is genuinely funny a lot of the time without the cringe factor despite being a truly absurd individual. Also you see how Michael really does care about the people in his office like when he’s close to tears because Pam and Jim never told him she was pregnant or when he shows up to Pams art convention and buys one of her pictures because it’s obvious she’s having a bad time of it then frames it and hangs her picture up on the office wall for all to see. Compare that to how David treats Dawn when he takes her along to his motivational speaking seminar or how he shows absolutely no interest in her handing in her notice the second he realises she isn’t doing it because he’s leaving. I could go on forever but like I said, both programmes are superb in their own way.

I think you just did.

14 hours ago, throbber said:

The American public wouldn’t really have fully appreciated the dry humour of the British show so needed a slapstick version. I agree that they’re not really comparable as the U.K. version had 12 episodes and the American one has 250+ but they are both fantastic, there is hardly an episode in the US one that goes by without something outrageously funny happening. My biggest laugh so far (I’m on series 6) was when Jim faxed Dwight pretending to be from the future telling him the coffee was poisoned and then Dwight charged the length of the office whilst screaming to slap the coffee out of Stanley’s hand.  Usually something whacky like that happens before the opening credits even start which I am also a massive fan of.

My favourite bits of the U.K. office are less obvious moments like how David and Gareth big up Chris Finch as this intellectual powerhouse but when he makes an appearance is the most loathsome, boorish, chauvinistic pig imaginable who refers to his penis as a single barrel pump action yogurt rifle. I also think the character (who’s name I can’t remember) who sits next to Tim in series 2 is criminally underrated and is one I can relate to most IRL. I’m also a massive fan of how Neil Godwin is petty much exactly the individual David Brent perceives himself to be ie well respected by his employees but still funny and approachable. 

I think it’s interesting to compare David and Michael though as they really aren’t that much alike. David is a genuinely tragic and unfunny man who isn’t respected by his staff and this is evident with his relationship with Chris Finch as Brent refers to him as a good friend of his but Finch is nasty to him almost all the time and calls him a fat waste of space because they never won the pub quiz. Michael is genuinely funny a lot of the time without the cringe factor despite being a truly absurd individual. Also you see how Michael really does care about the people in his office like when he’s close to tears because Pam and Jim never told him she was pregnant or when he shows up to Pams art convention and buys one of her pictures because it’s obvious she’s having a bad time of it then frames it and hangs her picture up on the office wall for all to see. Compare that to how David treats Dawn when he takes her along to his motivational speaking seminar or how he shows absolutely no interest in her handing in her notice the second he realises she isn’t doing it because he’s leaving. I could go on forever but like I said, both programmes are superb in their own way.

Agree with all of that. The first few episodes of the US Office seemed like it was going down the road of being just a remake of the UK Office and then it just develops a character of its own and diverges quite a bit. I suspect it wouldn't have lasted very long if it continued its original path.

Whilst most of the characters in the US Office (in the early series anyway) are based on someone from the UK version, they are generally very different. Michael isn't Brent, Jim isn't Tim, Kevin isn't Keith and so on.

I can see why people compare them but I'm genuinely a massive fan of them both and don't see much need for the one vs the other debate. I think people also forget that Gervais and Merchant were quite involved in the US Office too.

15 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

One of the Freeview channels started showing the US Office some time last year. Two episodes every weekday.  It last for two weeks, until I found it showing one episode a week at something like 6AM on a Sunday morning. Based on what I saw it was absolutely hysterical.

Based on literally everything I've seen of Ricky Gervais and what @Melanius Mullarkey loves posting, I have little interest in watching the original.

13 hours ago, throbber said:

Melanius Mullarkey.

25E22B01-9A6B-4138-90BA-90F8BAA2399C.gif

Also around 2005-6 a lot of guys had this weird haircut that was short on top and at the sides but sort of longer and sticky out at the back.

00s fashion being an absolute bomb scare isn't exactly an unpopular opinion but it's been fun remembering these.

There's emos too but everyone remembers them.
Aye like a ducks arse at the back

49 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Also around 2005-6 a lot of guys had this weird haircut that was short on top and at the sides but sort of longer and sticky out at the back.

00s fashion being an absolute bomb scare isn't exactly an unpopular opinion but it's been fun remembering these.

There's emos too but everyone remembers them.

Emmerdale farm just wasn't the same without him in the woolpack.

16 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Goths seem to have died out. There was a large culture of goths when I was in secondary school.

Not so much these days.

Yeah, a dying breed. Never seen a pregnant goth, or one driving a car. 

Yes. I'm a teacher.

Won’t be seeing any kids, goths or otherwise I’d have thought?
Nah, fair enough. I was guessing it was a phase for folk that they grew out of (hence no adult goths) but would still get teenage goths. I’m sure it’ll come back round at some point. Surely kids these days still need somebody to throw snow balls at in the winter?