Unpopular opinions.

2 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Noughties indie. What a flood of memories reading through this

https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/10/from-arctic-monkeys-to-the-zutons-the-20-best-songs-from-the-mid-noughties-indie-boom-7348908/
Some bangers in there.

Ah, some great memories of Saturday nights in Glasgow Barfly.

8 hours ago, 101 said:

I thought Gervais, Pilkington and Merchant was a great trio on the radio and podcasts. I also really enjoyed Derek but extras, the office and afterlife not such a fan of

1st sentence excellent, second sentence appalling. The UK Office is superb, Extras and After Life are both very good but Derek is atrocious.

10 hours ago, The OP said:

1st sentence excellent, second sentence appalling. The UK Office is superb, Extras and After Life are both very good but Derek is atrocious.

I thought the first series of Derek was excellent the dynamic of the characters was natural, when they binned Karl as the caretaker I thought it was a bit harder but still enjoyable - what didn't you like about it?

As for the others I'm not sure if the office and extras were of their time and if you were working in an office at that time then they were a comic reflection of office work? Extras never did it for me and After life again not sure if its an age thing?

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I thought the first series of Derek was excellent the dynamic of the characters was natural, when they binned Karl as the caretaker I thought it was a bit harder but still enjoyable - what didn't you like about it?

As for the others I'm not sure if the office and extras were of their time and if you were working in an office at that time then they were a comic reflection of office work? Extras never did it for me and After life again not sure if its an age thing?

Derek was sugary, melodramatic pish and one look at Ricky Gervais pulling that stupid face is severe cringe. Not the good, satirical, amusing cringe which is usually his trademark, more like "Jesus Christ, this is like the intellectually disabled version of blackface". As far as I remember it's filled with paper-thin villains and cloying  musical montages, with very few laughs.

The Office was a brilliantly observed piece of comedy and I was in high school when it came out so, no, I don't think you need to work in an office to get it.  It was a brilliantly written and acted piece about people being trapped in mundane lives but (some of them, at least) having the potential to do more. Via the Brent character, it was criticising people thinking that fame, rather than success, is something to aspire to. There are so many memorable lines and the situations (whilst absurd at times) all felt real. It also has one of the best love stories put to film. The American version strikes me as a more traditional sitcom with wacky characters, lots of gags and zany capering with no soul (which is fine if you like that sort of thing). The Brent Movie was rubbish and should have never been made. 

Extras is funny and perceptive and has a great central friendship. It focuses more on the pursuit of fame vs success, but through a more relatable character than Brent. The celebrity cameos are generally excellent, as is Stephen Merchant's useless agent. It also satirised shows like Mrs Brown's Boys frighteningly well and concluded with a satisfying epiphany for the main character.

After Life was a bit more patchy, now that I think on it, but it managed to feel a lot more real than something like Derek and I'll be watching season two. The tone is a bit more over the place and the themes are more on the nose but it has stronger characters, is less sickly sweet than Derek and is genuinely touching at times. 

I definitely don't think it's a question of things being 'of their time' as the awards and acclaim each has received seems about right.  It is the unpopular opinions thread tbf, but saying Derek is better than Extras and The Office seems too far, hence the essay. Opinions but. 

Edited by The OP

Worth remembering how experimental Python was at the time. They deliberately broke a lot of rules for filming TV and fannied about just to see how it would play with the audience. A lot of that stuff will either look old hat now, or aimlessly amateurish.

A modern audience familiar with the films would probably be disappointed by the TV show, as they were smart enough to realise they had to be more focused to hold the attention of a cinema audience.

Their albums are worth a listen too, by the way, even if they did recycle more material as time went on.

4 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Liking or disliking TV shows is not a question of right and wrong it’s a question of opinion.

Anyone who doesn’t like Breaking Bad and/or Game of Thrones simply has the wrong opinion.

Some opinions are obviously wrong. If someone says 2.4 Children is better than Blackadder or 2 Pints of Lager is better than Peep Show you are perfectly entitled to spit in their face.

10 minutes ago, The OP said:

Some opinions are obviously wrong. If someone says 2.4 Children is better than Blackadder or 2 Pints of Lager is better than Peep Show you are perfectly entitled to cough or sneeze in their face.

Fixed to keep up with the times.

2 hours ago, The OP said:

Derek was sugary, melodramatic pish and one look at Ricky Gervais pulling that stupid face is severe cringe. Not the good, satirical, amusing cringe which is usually his trademark, more like "Jesus Christ, this is like the intellectually disabled version of blackface". As far as I remember it's filled with paper-thin villains and cloying  musical montages, with very few laughs.

The Office was a brilliantly observed piece of comedy and I was in high school when it came out so, no, I don't think you need to work in an office to get it.  It was a brilliantly written and acted piece about people being trapped in mundane lives but (some of them, at least) having the potential to do more. Via the Brent character, it was criticising people thinking that fame, rather than success, is something to aspire to. There are so many memorable lines and the situations (whilst absurd at times) all felt real. It also has one of the best love stories put to film. The American version strikes me as a more traditional sitcom with wacky characters, lots of gags and zany capering with no soul (which is fine if you like that sort of thing). The Brent Movie was rubbish and should have never been made. 

Extras is funny and perceptive and has a great central friendship. It focuses more on the pursuit of fame vs success, but through a more relatable character than Brent. The celebrity cameos are generally excellent, as is Stephen Merchant's useless agent. It also satirised shows like Mrs Brown's Boys frighteningly well and concluded with a satisfying epiphany for the main character.

After Life was a bit more patchy, now that I think on it, but it managed to feel a lot more real than something like Derek and I'll be watching season two. The tone is a bit more over the place and the themes are more on the nose but it has stronger characters, is less sickly sweet than Derek and is genuinely touching at times. 

I definitely don't think it's a question of things being 'of their time' as the awards and acclaim each has received seems about right.  It is the unpopular opinions thread tbf, but saying Derek is better than Extras and The Office seems too far, hence the essay. Opinions but. 

Pretty much this.

I watched one episode of Derek and decided it wasn't worth the time, and I'm a big fan of Gervais.

I love the US office to be honest but it's simply not comparable. It's a good American sitcom and Steve Carell is one of the best comedy actors out there. It is not the all encompassing piece of work that the UK Office is.

18 hours ago, NJ2 said:

Noughties indie. What a flood of memories reading through this

https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/10/from-arctic-monkeys-to-the-zutons-the-20-best-songs-from-the-mid-noughties-indie-boom-7348908/
Some bangers in there.

While I like and still listen to several of the things in here (Hard-Fi, Kaiser Chiefs, the Zutons, Maxïmo Park, Franz Ferdinand) and while some got nowhere near the acclaim they deserved at the time (The Automatic), I have to object to the inclusion of So Here We Are by Bloc Party in this list which is miles, miles better than anything else there and a band who were individually and collectively more accomplished than everyone else there combined. 

23 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

you rather imagine Johnny Borrell is still to this day wandering about B&Q taps aff in white denims asking people if they know who he is when he tries to score a free karcher

I saw the Kaiser Chiefs supported by Razorlight at the Usher Hall in January. He really hasn't changed.

4 hours ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

While I like and still listen to several of the things in here (Hard-Fi, Kaiser Chiefs, the Zutons, Maxïmo Park, Franz Ferdinand) and while some got nowhere near the acclaim they deserved at the time (The Automatic), I have to object to the inclusion of So Here We Are by Bloc Party in this list which is miles, miles better than anything else there and a band who were individually and collectively more accomplished than everyone else there combined. 

I'm not having that. Bloc Party are well within the indie pack. My favourite of the lot mentioned are the Kaiser Chiefs, who are still putting out good music. The biggest of the band there though are the Arctic Monkeys, who rather than being pigeon-holed as indie, managed to make the transition in to mainstream rock.

It's a bit daft to say obviously talented entertainers such as The Beatles and Ed Sheerin were/ are rubbish. They quite obviously weren't/ aren't. 

Music is subjective to taste. I can't stand AC/DC, or any kind of heavy metal stuff for instance.

19 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

It's a bit daft to say obviously talented entertainers such as The Beatles and Ed Sheerin were/ are rubbish. They quite obviously weren't/ aren't. 

Music is subjective to taste. I can't stand AC/DC, or any kind of heavy metal stuff for instance.

I cant accept your post due to Ed Sheerans inclusion. 

57 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

I cant accept your post due to Ed Sheerans inclusion. 

Well he quite obviously is very popular. I wouldn't rush out to buy one of his LPs*, but he is clearly a talented singer/ songwriter

*chiefly because I would be arrested for non-essential shopping

Edited by Angusfifer

51 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Cant see the attraction to any of the heavy metal stuff where the singer is just noise. Quite like sabbath, guns and roses and some Metallica but the majority of it is just soulless crap liked by brain dead rednecks.

Take yourself to f**k.

You could say that sort of arrogant, condescending pish about any type of music.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Take yourself to f**k.

You could say that sort of arrogant, condescending pish about any type of music.

Shut up mosher 

edit: there’s lots of classic and good heavy metal like the bands I’ve stated, iron maiden motley crew but I’m on about the stuff from 90s onwards where it’s just noise and shouting. It’s utter shite.

Edited by D.A.F.C

14 hours ago, The OP said:

A comprehensive and we'll writeen reply that I'm too pished to reply to.