Unpopular opinions.

Graham Norton is inherently better than any other talk show host because he gets them rat-arsed to the point they feel comfortable. They also are paired in groups unlike most talk shows which will no doubt help them relax. The other main British talk show hosts these days are Jonathan Ross - Whom guests are clearly only on to plug something then f**k off and Alan Carr who tries the same thing with guests of getting them steaming but is 'too British' in humour so guests can't relax.

Sure quite a few American stars have said Norton is the best there is. Even American websites rank him as the best:

https://screenrant.com/best-talk-show-hosts-us-uk/

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't watch talk shows unless there is someone on who I like, which is very rare in itself. But is Norton a bit less narcissistic perhaps?

Norton's great at bringing on a British folk who are, generally, not as guided by their PR and a lot more looser. When you have someone like Greg Davies or Nish Kumar telling self deprecating jokes and taking the piss out of themselves and getting a good reaction from the audience it lets the US "stars" settle into it almost as much as the booze does.

9 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

Gervais is shite.

The US Office was funny cause he wasn’t involved in the writing.

Was he not? I was always under the impression that he was involved with the US version as well

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.988e47fe92573e4204f229f4da74202a.png

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
11 hours ago, hearthammer said:
Refuse to watch Gervais in any format -  "comedy" or "celebrity".   Gets no airtime chez moi, although he's not alone.       David Walliams, Miranda Hart, James Corden, Graham Norton, et al
require a change of channel should they appear on screen inadvertently.
Each to their own, but the above, and some more, are neither funny, comedic or worthy of airtime.
My opinion only.

The Office, Extras and After Life are 3 excellent sitcoms by Gervais. Gavin and Stacey is a brilliant one as well. I used to enjoy Little Britain but it hasn't aged as well. Miranda Hart just isn't funny in any sense.

10 hours ago, hearthammer said:

As I said, each to their own.  I refuse to give airtime to those i consider just not funny at all.  You obviously enjoy Gervais/Corden.

I also never found Monty Python funny because to me it was utter tom kite and not funny in the slightest.  Others will testify that it was the funniest thing on TV they'd seen.

C'est la vie.   

I'd echo the After Life shout. In fact hearthammer should try a couple of episodes of it and I'd be surprised if he failed to shed a tear or crack a smile. Mrs Par and I were no fans of Gervais and I had to persuade her to watch it but now she's counting the hours until season two comes out on Friday. It's entirely possible to dislike him and everything he has ever been in yet be totally charmed by After Life. 

32 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'd echo the After Life shout. In fact hearthammer should try a couple of episodes of it and I'd be surprised if he failed to shed a tear or crack a smile. Mrs Par and I were no fans of Gervais and I had to persuade her to watch it but now she's counting the hours until season two comes out on Friday. It's entirely possible to dislike him and everything he has ever been in yet be totally charmed by After Life. 

Thanks, mate.  I'm afraid Gervais, irrespective of what he's in, won't be airing chez moi.   Hope you and Mrs Par enjoy, though. 

As I said, each to their own.  I refuse to give airtime to those i consider just not funny at all.  You obviously enjoy Gervais/Corden.
I also never found Monty Python funny because to me it was utter tom kite and not funny in the slightest.  Others will testify that it was the funniest thing on TV they'd seen.
C'est la vie.   

The thing with Python is that I reckon most, especially younger, people only know the "best of". They were incredibly inconsistent - frustratingly so. If they had imposed the same QC on their TV work as they did on the films, they would deserve the respect. Maybe.
I always felt The Goodies suffered from unfair comparisons with Python - I found them consistently funny, and their extended specials were superb. Puppet Government, indeed!

Gavin and Stacey is absolutely atrocious and I can't believe it's as popular as it is on here.
It was decent at the time. Dont think it stands up as anything beyond mediocre.

Bit like a lot of the guitar bands of the 00s. Music I thought was good then seems shite now. The Kooks and Razorlight are the best example of this. When I hear their music now I think its fucking awful, yet they were mega popular then.

Bit like a lot of the guitar bands of the 00s. Music I thought was good then seems shite now. The Kooks and Razorlight are the best example of this. When I hear their music now I think its fucking awful, yet they were mega popular then.
The Kooks were indeed popular when I was at school. I have to admit, even at the time I thought they were shite. Really couldn't take to it at all.

2 hours ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

The thing with Python is that I reckon most, especially younger, people only know the "best of". They were incredibly inconsistent - frustratingly so. If they had imposed the same QC on their TV work as they did on the films, they would deserve the respect. Maybe.
I always felt The Goodies suffered from unfair comparisons with Python - I found them consistently funny, and their extended specials were superb. Puppet Government, indeed!

The great thing about Python is they took risks.  A lot of it was not essential but that's part of the process.  They were the comedy equivalent of The Beatles 'White Album'.  Everyone agrees it's hugely inconsistent but ask people to trim it down to 12 tracks and you get an almost bewildering variety of views.  For me the Pythons were very similar.

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
6 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

The Kooks were indeed popular when I was at school. I have to admit, even at the time I thought they were shite. Really couldn't take to it at all.

Wait a minute I thought you were well in your 30s

How old are you?

6 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:
28 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:
Wait a minute I thought you were well in your 30s
How old are you?

I have bad news about how long ago 2004 was

The Kooks (and Razorlight) were 2006. The Kooks were at least, Razorlight's first album was earlier than that but the breakthrough came later. Razorlight were also much better, and Johnny Borrell somehow managed to parlay his fame into pumping Kirsten Dunst, so I have some begrudging respect for him.

I miss indie landfill tbh, it was still better than the shite in the charts nowadays. 

34 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

The Kooks (and Razorlight) were 2006. The Kooks were at least, Razorlight's first album was earlier than that but the breakthrough came later. Razorlight were also much better, and Johnny Borrell somehow managed to parlay his fame into pumping Kirsten Dunst, so I have some begrudging respect for him.

I miss indie landfill tbh, it was still better than the shite in the charts nowadays. 

To dip into now and again.. In The Morning, Wire to Wire, Sofa, Seaside, are some decent efforts by The Kooks/Razorlight. Only in small doses though. 

To dip into now and again.. In The Morning, Wire to Wire, Sofa, Seaside, are some decent efforts by The Kooks/Razorlight. Only in small doses though. 

Noughties indie. What a flood of memories reading through this

https://metro.co.uk/2018/03/10/from-arctic-monkeys-to-the-zutons-the-20-best-songs-from-the-mid-noughties-indie-boom-7348908/
Some bangers in there.