Unpopular opinions.

7 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Isn't that what acting is about, making it seem like you're not?

Not if you're just being yourself, no.

I came to regard Ricky Gervais ability to portray a douchebag in the same way I regard Kevin Spacey's ability to portray a manipulative predatory creep.

The US Office tried to very closely remake the UK version with the pilot episode.

It bombed hard as the humour did not translate at all, so they went in a different direction. Some of the first series was pretty similar to the UK version but it pulled away further and further from that to become it's own thing, and from season 2 onwards is unrecognisable from the first season.

They're totally different shows and not really comparable.

I love both, but that's like saying I love both Red Dwarf (well season 7 and before) and The Fresh Prince of Bel Air.

Not if you're just being yourself, no.
I came to regard Ricky Gervais ability to portray a douchebag in the same way I regard Kevin Spacey's ability to portray a manipulative predatory creep.
[emoji38] Ricky Gervais is in no way like David Brent.

2 hours ago, Lee Van Tee said:

The new(ish) Morrissey album is his best in a couple of decades.

Yes, I am aware he is and has always been a dick.

I am not a dog on a Chain?

You Are The Quarry,

Ringleader Of The Tormentors,

Years Of Refusal,

World Peace is None Of Your Business, are all better than that new album.

Big fan since 1983, but agree that he is a total dick...now.

Refuse to watch Gervais in any format -  "comedy" or "celebrity".   Gets no airtime chez moi, although he's not alone.       David Walliams, Miranda Hart, James Corden, Graham Norton, et al

require a change of channel should they appear on screen inadvertently.

Each to their own, but the above, and some more, are neither funny, comedic or worthy of airtime.

My opinion only.

2 hours ago, Speroni*1 said:

Ally McCoist is one of the best co-commentators out there. At the 2018 WC, the match was made when he was on commentary.

I really like listening to his stories back in the day and some of his stories on Gazza had me bent double.

Seems most of the guys down in England like Kammy love a good Ally tale.

Refuse to watch Gervais in any format -  "comedy" or "celebrity".   Gets no airtime chez moi, although he's not alone.       David Walliams, Miranda Hart, James Corden, Graham Norton, et al
Each to their own, but the above, and some more, are neither funny, comedic or worthy of airtime.
My opinion only.
The Office, Extras and After Life are 3 excellent sitcoms by Gervais. Gavin and Stacey is a brilliant one as well. I used to enjoy Little Britain but it hasn't aged as well. Miranda Hart just isn't funny in any sense.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
30 minutes ago, hearthammer said:
My opinion only.

The Office, Extras and After Life are 3 excellent sitcoms by Gervais. Gavin and Stacey is a brilliant one as well. I used to enjoy Little Britain but it hasn't aged as well. Miranda Hart just isn't funny in any sense.

As I said, each to their own.  I refuse to give airtime to those i consider just not funny at all.  You obviously enjoy Gervais/Corden.

I also never found Monty Python funny because to me it was utter tom kite and not funny in the slightest.  Others will testify that it was the funniest thing on TV they'd seen.

C'est la vie.   

49 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
1 hour ago, hearthammer said:
My opinion only.

They're all shite. 

Have grown to enjoy Graham Norton in my advancing years. He's not funny or a particularly good host of programs but the guests he has on seem to relax and in turn be more open when in his company than any other British show I've seen. 

As I said, each to their own.  I refuse to give airtime to those i consider just not funny at all.  You obviously enjoy Gervais/Corden.
I also never found Monty Python funny because to me it was utter tom kite and not funny in the slightest.  Others will testify that it was the funniest thing on TV they'd seen.
C'est la vie.   

I haven't seen Corden in anything else tbh. I don't feel the hate for him that others do though.

What do you consider a funny sitcom?

They're all shite. 

You're wrong.

26 minutes ago, Dele said:

They're all shite. 

Have grown to enjoy Graham Norton in my advancing years. He's not funny or a particularly good host of programs but the guests he has on seem to relax and in turn be more open when in his company than any other British show I've seen. 

The one with Bill Murray, Matt Damon and Hugh Bonneville is a classic. I think the American stars feel much less inhibited on that programme, and they get plied with alcohol. I don't think it's just a UK TV thing, they're not quite as loose on other shows.

I'm not a big believer in saying things aren't funny, humour is very subjective, but I struggle to understand how adults could find Miranda Hart funny.

These are not unpopular opinions...

The one with Bill Murray, Matt Damon and Hugh Bonneville is a classic. I think the American stars feel much less inhibited on that programme, and they get plied with alcohol. I don't think it's just a UK TV thing, they're not quite as loose on other shows.
I'm not a big believer in saying things aren't funny, humour is very subjective, but I struggle to understand how adults could find Miranda Hart funny.
These are not unpopular opinions...
I don't watch talk shows unless there is someone on who I like, which is very rare in itself. But is Norton a bit less narcissistic perhaps?

Even when I watch clips of these shows, Conan, Leno, J.Ross, Ellen etc. seem more interested in getting a laugh for themselves that it really comes across as trying too hard/cringey. I get the impression from what I've seen from Norton in the past that he doesn't give a f**k. Maybe the more relaxed approach makes others open up?