Unpopular opinions.

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, hearthammer said:

Diana Ross is and always has been shite as a singer.  She's marginally better as a penalty taker.

Reminds me if the time I phoned a pizza delivery and ordered a thin and crusty supreme, half an hour later Diana Ross turned up.

880b1a37a7d1aec3a4f104b494934445.png

• 2 weeks later...

This whole Captain Tom thing reeks of carefully choreographed government propaganda.

A lovely bit of good news that was dominating the media on the same day that the government had to announce a 3 week extension to the lockdown.

Look out for some D Day veteran swimming the length of the Channel in his bathtub around 3 weeks from now when the next lockdown extension is announced..

I'll go and get my tinfoil hat.

3 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

This whole Captain Tom thing reeks of carefully choreographed government propaganda.

A lovely bit of good news that was dominating the media on the same day that the government had to announce a 3 week extension to the lockdown.

Look out for some D Day veteran swimming the length of the Channel in his bathtub around 3 weeks from now when the next lockdown extension is announced..

I'll go and get my tinfoil hat.

I hope they promote him to Major Tom, then they can send him up into space to raise money.

My lockdown TV viewing has involved binge-watching The Office (US) on Amazon, and my unpopular opinion is that it's much better than The Office (UK).

The UK version is much more realistic, but it's supposed to be entertainment and it's too bitter and gruelling for that. I'm glad I watched it but I don't have any desire to watch it again. David Brent is an irredeemable arsehole and that performance becomes even harder to watch when you realise that it's not all an act.

The US version is funny, charming and engaging. Even in such a long run it rarely flags, and its ability to renew is remarkable - I loved James Spader's role. It has so much more time to develop the characters and run multiple plot threads. It's hard to wrap up a long-running series like that but I thought they did it magnificently.

The two programmes are doing different things but the US version is just better in almost every way. It would take a heart of stone not to end up rooting for the characters.

Edited by GordonS

38 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

That shouldn't be unpopular opinion at all. The US Office is absolutely tremendous, so many great memorable characters.

I've seen a lot of comment about how the US version is a schmaltzy, dumbed-down remake of the smarter, sharper UK original. I've not seen many on this side of the Atlantic say the US version is better.

I definitely wouldn't say preferring the US version is an unpopular opinion, although I much, much prefer the UK version. I have tried a few times to get into the US one, but I just can't help but compare it to the UK.

Brent telling Finchy to f**k off at the end of the Christmas Special is genuinely one of my favourite TV moments of all time.