Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Well If it was popular it probably would have made the rule change.

People argue that it balances out because the home team are playing in front of their own support but that really doesn’t “even out” anything when you are comparing two completely different things here. It is surely not logical to go through on away goals when you have had an extra half hour to score an away goal.

The footballing authorities aren’t particularly well known for using common sense. See the handball rules etc...

I’ve genuinely never heard anyone put up a positive case for it, I just assumed everyone thought it was a stupid rule. 

People argue that it balances out because the home team are playing in front of their own support but that really doesn’t “even out” anything when you are comparing two completely different things here. It is surely not logical to go through on away goals when you have had an extra half hour to score an away goal.
Sevco shouldn't get away goals advantage next week due to not playing in front of any away fans, therefore what's the advantage?

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:
2 hours ago, throbber said:

Sevco shouldn't get away goals advantage next week due to not playing in front of any away fans, therefore what's the advantage?

It's not just the fans they took into account with the away goals rule. I believe the main caveat is the travel involved and acclimatisation. 

Michael Cox did a good podcast on it recently (on the Zonal Marking podcast by the Athletic - and you don't have to subscribe to that to listen for free) and yes it was originally to stop games being decided by a coin toss or a third game and also to compensate for travelling which in the early days of European competition would have been quite arduous - with the standard of food and hotels also not homogeneous throughout the continent that caused a few issues too. I think a lot of people would prefer maybe missing out extra time and going straight to penalties if there is a tie and not having an away goals rule; the advantage of taking penalties at your own ground is possibly negated by the extra pressure this brings? I don't know.

It's not just the fans they took into account with the away goals rule. I believe the main caveat is the travel involved and acclimatisation. 
The extra time thing aside, I alwyas thought the away goals rule was all about incentivising attacking football rather than mass bus parking from away teams.

17 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The extra time thing aside, I alwyas thought the away goals rule was all about incentivising attacking football rather than mass bus parking from away teams.

Which is funny considering Atleti have caused a mass meltdown from everyone of a Liverpool persuasion for parking the bus and doing them twice on the counter in ET. A truly glorious shitfesting from Diego.

Guest JTS98
15 hours ago, throbber said:

Away goals should be scrapped

Fixed that for you.

There's no point in the modern world. Made sense in the 50s and 60s, less so today.

ETA I'm aware it didn't start till the 60s. The point stands. Away games used to be harder.

Now the away goals rule just seems completely arbitrary and robs us of some potentially great ties.

Edited by JTS98

9 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Fixed that for you.

There's no point in the modern world. Made sense in the 50s and 60s, less so today.

ETA I'm aware it didn't start till the 60s. The point stands. Away games used to be harder.

Now the away goals rule just seems completely arbitrary and robs us of some potentially great ties.

That would ruin away days. Hard to get up for it knowing that the best you can get is a 0-0 draw.

23 hours ago, throbber said:

If you  accept the 'away goals' concept in itself than it's not hard to see why the away team has that same advantage in extra-time  - it's to offset the disadvantage of playing an extra 30 minutes with whatever perceived disadvantage playing away gives.  

18 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Fixed that for you.

It's better than tossing a coin though.  Yes, we could go straight to penalties but wouldn't we end up debating the fairness of taking penalties in front of home fans v away fans?  

If you  accept the 'away goals' concept in itself than it's not hard to see why the away team has that same advantage in extra-time  - it's to offset the disadvantage of playing an extra 30 minutes with whatever perceived disadvantage playing away gives.  

I don’t mind away goals for 90 mins each way and if it’s tied and it favours the team who got the home leg second then it’s still fairer than away goals counting double in extra time IMO.

18 minutes ago, L'immortale Par said:

Ice Ice Baby is a stone cold hip hop classic. Word to your mother. 

And The Vanilla Ice Project is the best home improvement and real estate flipping show of modern times, nice nice landscaping yo. 

8 minutes ago, stevieKTID said:

And The Vanilla Ice Project is the best home improvement and real estate flipping show of modern times, nice nice landscaping yo. 

A decade or two back that would have just been an Alan Partridge joke. Astonished to google it and find it's a real thing. Similarly Mike Tyson's surreal podcast where he smokes toad venom and has heartfelt chats with random celebs. 

19 minutes ago, L'immortale Par said:

A decade or two back that would have just been an Alan Partridge joke. Astonished to google it and find it's a real thing. Similarly Mike Tyson's surreal podcast where he smokes toad venom and has heartfelt chats with random celebs. 

When I first saw it I thought it was a piss take and having watched an episode I'm still not sure, during the impending lock down I will be checking out mad mikes podcast.

Guest JTS98
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

It's better than tossing a coin though.  Yes, we could go straight to penalties but wouldn't we end up debating the fairness of taking penalties in front of home fans v away fans?  

Penalties are better. At least in a penalty shoot-out, you win by scoring more goals than the other team, rather than by some made-up technicality.

1 hour ago, JTS98 said:

Penalties are better. At least in a penalty shoot-out, you win by scoring more goals than the other team, rather than by some made-up technicality.

I'm a bit meh on the whole thing t.b.h. - away goals is as good as way as deciding as any IMO.   

Aren't all rules made-up technicalities?  Otherwise we'd still have 100+ a-side games kicking a severed head from one end of a field to another!