Unpopular opinions.

Impressive stuff should be intuitively impressive without understanding in detail what's going on tbh.
Not really. I'm sure folk who have absolutely no interest in fitba would be impressed with what we would class a 'screamer'.

9 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

It really isn't. American Football is rubbish viewing if you don't know what it's about. Once you know more about it it's a great sport to view.

Anyone who follows the NFL will know when the Super Bowl is. And as I said above, if you have no interest in the sport it's not a game you're going to enjoy by watching it on the off chance. There really isn't much need to advertise it.

I have a passing interest in the NFL (even been to a couple of Broncos games) and stayed up for the past two superbowls. However, I just saw a very brief piece on the news that made me think "fcuk, was that on last night?". 

Saw nothing about it on the news throughout the weekend.  Worst thing is that I was working at home until 3am whilst it was on FFS. 

That said, probably just as well seeing as the Chiefs are divisional rivals. Boo. 

NFL is good, but selling out Wembley isn’t that impressive. A few Eddie Hearn boxing circus events and a bunch of shite music artists have done it.
I think the point was it's got a good following over here.

I’m sure they would be impressed, yes.
No they wouldn't.
American football 
download.jpeg-7.jpg.a4e20064ba5c1c68e25d5ba8bbf41d41.jpg
You shouldn't let a sport you have no interest in get to you so much.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
10 hours ago, The OP said:
Hipster nonsense. It’s a dreadful, advert friendly, version of rugby and (plot twist) rugby is already dreadful.

Yip that's the usual go to 'argument' with people who don't like the sport but don't understand it: it's like rugby. It's absolutely nothing like rugby other than the shape of the ball.

I understand it fine, but i still think it's shite.

Your argument that you only don't like it because you don't get it is a fucking shite one, and to use your vernacular, the go to argument with people that get a bit upset when anyone criticises something they like.

I'm fine with folk watching it, btw, same as I'm fine with folk watching grown men pretend to grapple with each other whilst wearing dayglo speedos, it's not going to stop me ridiculing it though. 

I love golf, but realise that a large percentage of folk think it's boring as f**k.

I understand it fine, but i still think it's shite.

Your argument that you only don't like it because you don't get it is a fucking shite one, and to use your vernacular, the go to argument with people that get a bit upset when anyone criticises something they like.

I'm fine with folk watching it, btw, same as I'm fine with folk watching grown men pretend to grapple with each other whilst wearing dayglo speedos, it's not going to stop me ridiculing it though. 

I love golf, but realise that a large percentage of folk think it's boring as f**k.

I do think golf is shite but I don't feel the need to slate it the way some folk slate sports they don't like. Rugby usually gets the same treatment at this time of year as well.

If people don't like a sport, don't watch it but don't get so upset that other folk enjoy it really.

I don't think it's a shite argument either tbh. I guarantee the majority of folk who dislike it don't understand it. Usually proven when they say nonsense like "rugby with shoulder guards".

American football undoubtedly gets a bad rep over here because it's (incorrectly) perceived to be a softened version of rugby that has helmets and lycra whilst 'proper rugby' players have black eyes and bloody cheeks. 

More people would certainly be converted if they actually knew the rules as I was, but I also know the rules of cricket and have no time for it.  If they could find an alternative sport that makes it socially acceptable to drink beer in the sun for days at a time, that would be great.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

I think you typo'd so I'm responding as if you mean folk wouldn't be impressed by a screamer. Of course they would. Man kicks ball very hard from far away into goal is easy to get. Similarly with American football, man runs a long way and dodges lots of tackles is intuitively impressive. What isn't is whatever the hell I watched that just seemed to be man throws ball a short distance and other man catches it.

Basketball is another one.  It seems to me its a case of one team gets the ball, runs up, puts it in the basket.  Other team gets the ball runs up and puts it in the basket at the other side.  The team that loses is the one that manages to make a hash of it.

I can however appreciate when someone gets it in the basket from a different postcode.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I do think golf is shite but I don't feel the need to slate it the way some folk slate sports they don't like. Rugby usually gets the same treatment at this time of year as well.

If people don't like a sport, don't watch it but don't get so upset that other folk enjoy it really.

You do appear to be a bit sensitive about it, though. I spent a couple of years having Americans taking the piss out of soccer, but I couldn't have cared less. Wasn't me who was losing out.

Maybe that's why folk here are so quick to sneer at American sports - so many of them seem to view it as their duty to attack sports that they didn't "create".

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Basketball is another one.  It seems to me its a case of one team gets the ball, runs up, puts it in the basket.  Other team gets the ball runs up and puts it in the basket at the other side.  The team that loses is the one that manages to make a hash of it.

I can however appreciate when someone gets it in the basket from a different postcode.

This.

Also, Baseball is so tedious that people in the crowd do their taxes while the game's on, and it goes on forever. You can be there until the wee small hours.

I get the impression that competitive chess could be fucking huge in the States, if they forced the players to develop huge muscles, scattered about a few scantily-clad teenagers to jiggle about, had sets from popular musical acts between moves, and added a couple of raging roasters to scream over the top about how very exciting that last castling was.

I think you typo'd so I'm responding as if you mean folk wouldn't be impressed by a screamer. Of course they would. Man kicks ball very hard from far away into goal is easy to get. Similarly with American football, man runs a long way and dodges lots of tackles is intuitively impressive. What isn't is whatever the hell I watched that just seemed to be man throws ball a short distance and other man catches it.
But they wouldn't. If folk have absolutely no interest in football why would anything about it impress them? I know a few folk with no interest in the game and if I showed them an absolute peach their response would be along the lines of "he got it in the goal. That's the point isn't it?" There's no way they'd appreciate it the way a football fan would.
You do appear to be a bit sensitive about it, though. I spent a couple of years having Americans taking the piss out of soccer, but I couldn't have cared less. Wasn't me who was losing out.
Maybe that's why folk here are so quick to sneer at American sports - so many of them seem to view it as their duty to attack sports that they didn't "create".
I'm not sensitive. I've not tried to 'promote' the sport or tell folk they are missing out. I'm only defending it because it's getting a slating in here. I certainly wouldn't go around telling everyone they should be watching it.

4 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

But they wouldn't. If folk have absolutely no interest in football why would anything about it impress them? I know a few folk with no interest in the game and if I showed them an absolute peach their response would be along the lines of "he got it in the goal. That's the point isn't it?" There's no way they'd appreciate it the way a football fan would. I'm not sensitive. I've not tried to 'promote' the sport or tell folk they are missing out. I'm only defending it because it's getting a slating in here. I certainly wouldn't go around telling everyone they should be watching it.

I think if you show anyone a clip of someone scoring a thunderb*****d from 35 yards or Messi pinging a bicycle kick into the top corner, they'll be able to appreciate it whether they have an interest in the game or not.

I think if you show anyone a clip of someone scoring a thunderb*****d from 35 yards or Messi pinging a bicycle kick into the top corner, they'll be able to appreciate it whether they have an interest in the game or not.
We can agree to disagree but I can guarantee the folk I know who don't watch football wouldn't be in the least bit impressed.