Unpopular opinions.

Of course, childcare expense isnt really an issue for a lot of single mothers claiming child tax credits <_<

Selfish bitches eh, bring back the workhouses.

It seems the resentment is going all the wrong way, at the groups being given fair treatment from the system rather than the unfair system itself.

It is the 'housewife' element that is difficult to determine. In fact, as such a subjective (and arguably, strongly outdated term) I'd be surprised if that could be given much emphasis at all. It's not the fucking 1950s, families have different spells of emphasis on employment and greater flexibility.

And of course when it comes to the 'actively seeking employment' part of benefits, there are plenty of means (and better ones) than going to the Job Centre. He/she could pop onto the likes of Gumtree each and every day, apply for x amount of jobs and receive hee-haw feedback.

You need to tell the job centre each time you sign on what you have done to look for work. You have a sheet that you have to fill out and hand in and they'll often ask you if you ever find yourself in that position. Incredibly easy to lie about for the most part. I've signed on twice (two instances of unemployment, not that I've only went along twice) and although I was told on both occasions that they may sometimes ask for proof (letter confirming receipt of application from a company, copy of an application form, that sort of thing), I never was. I think both instances lasted a couple of months, but I never had to do anything more than hand over my sheet, which most often was filled in 5 minutes before I left to sign on. It's crap.

Selfish bitches eh, bring back the workhouses.

It seems the resentment is going all the wrong way, at the groups being given fair treatment from the system rather than the unfair system itself.

It used to be the case* that people claiming the childcare element of the Working Tax Credit could claim for their child being at nursery for fifty hours a week even if the claimant only worked 16.

That's certainly wrong and shouldn't have been allowed to happen.

*I say used to as I stopped working for the IR in 2005. I'd imagine it's still the same though as none of my old workmates have told me it's changed.

Really? How do you know who, or what, I resent?

You told me...

Of course, childcare expense isnt really an issue for a lot of single mothers claiming child tax credits <_<

Unless of course, you made that post reeking of resentment by sheer accident.

A non-resentful post would have been:

'While I am unhappy about the current childcare situation and seek reform of the system, I'm glad I'm not in the position of a single-mother who fully deserves access to childcare as well as employment and education opportunities, regardless of financial pressures.'

Edited by vikingTON

Free nursery places are 4 sessions a week. Sessions, IIRC, are 9.30 to 1230 and something like 1.30 to 4.30. If you want your child to go earlier or stay later then, as you say, you have to pay.

5 sessions a week we've been allocated for Thomas from next year when he goes.

I already contributed my unpopular opinions on this thread ages ago, but as it's been bumped I'll throw in some more opinions that I think many wouldn't agree with:

1) Although the IRA are total scumbags, their cause is correct. The state of Northern Ireland should not exist, Ireland should be one country. If you're in a country that gains independance from occupation, to have the view that the part of the country you live in should remain as it is just because most of you came over from that occupying country requires a level of arrogance that you'd have to be British to have.

2) People only deserve respect in death if they were respected in life. People like Jade Goody, Wallace Mercer and soon Maggie Thatcher were horrible cretins in life, so f**k them.

3) The Garage is an under-rated nightclub. Yes it's tacky as f**k, but if you can't have a good night in there it's probably more to do with you than the club. The Arches however is shit.

4) Scotland is the only English speaking country in the world where the accent suits football chants at all. Whether it's English folk singing "your sahport is facking shit" or Americans saying "go team, DEFENCE", it sounds terrible.

5) Nicoloas Cage is an absolutely dreadful actor, any good films he's been in are good in spite of him rather than because of him.

6) Jack the lad types who go about trying to be all laddish all the time are just as bad as really camp people.

7) The Glasgow accent is the best in Scotland. However the famous Glaswegian wit and warmth is no different to any other city.

8 - Robbie Savage is the best guy ever.

9) People who lose large amounts of weight deserve absolutely no credit for it whatsoever. It's their fault for getting in that position in the first place, frankly you deserve contempt if you don't do anything about it. Btw I say that as someone who's lost about 5 stone in the last couple of years myself.

10) Every time there's a thread on anything more high brow than what you ate for breakfast or your favourite wanking technique, the same few people take over the thread with their long, tedious attempts to out intellectualise eachother. It adds nothing to the forum unless you're on of the people involved, and they should pipe down now and again (probably not an unpopular opinion, just wanted to say it).

Edited by Guest

International football is dead.

Well, that's not so much an opinion as a statement of fact - and it's wrong. The current Fifa administration is in its death throes but financially speaking international football has never been healthier, and it's finance that matters in determining whether or not a professional branch of the entertainment system is alive or not.

I already contributed my unpopular opinions on this thread ages ago, but as it's been bumped I'll throw in some more opinions that I think many wouldn't agree with:

1) Although the IRA are total scumbags, their cause is correct. The state of Northern Ireland should not exist, Ireland should be one country. If you're in a country that gains independance from occupation, to have the view that the part of the country you live in should remain as it is just because most of you came over from that occupying country requires a level of arrogance that you'd have to be British to have.

A couple of points here - you don;t have to be a murdering c**t to be an Irish nationalist, so whether it's their cause or not is kind of irrelevant.

Also, given that the colonisation of the North started in the early 17th century, you can say what you like about the 6 counties, but it's anything but simple. Under your logic, the deportation of the seventh and eighth generation ethnic majority would be just peachy(I actually agree with what you say, but not the simplicity with which you say it).

As for the rest of your pish, well, yeah it fits the topic title.

Edited by Pink Freud

A couple of points here - you don;t have to be a murdering c**t to be an Irish nationalist, so whether it's their cause or not is kind of irrelevant.

Aye I know you don't.

Also, given that the colonisation of the North started in the early 17th century, you can say what you like about the 6 counties, but it's anything but simple. Under your logic, the deportation of the seventh and eighth generation ethnic majority would be just peachy(I actually agree with what you say, but not the simplicity with which you say it).

Who said anything about deportation? I'm not saying Protestants living in Ulster should've been sent back after Irish independance happened (my own dad's a Northern Irish Protestant), I'm saying I can see why Irish Catholics living there would've been raging as f**k when the rest of their country became independant apart from their bit.

As for the rest of your pish, well, yeah it fits the topic title.

I'm so glad to hear you don't agree with any of it, I really am. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you the guy who's always defending bible bashers in any relgious based debtates on here? Again, apologies if I have you confused with someone else.

Aye I know you don't.

Who said anything about deportation? I'm not saying Protestants living in Ulster should've been sent back after Irish independance happened (my own dad's a Northern Irish Protestant), I'm saying I can see why Irish Catholics living there would've been raging as f**k when the rest of their country became independant apart from their bit.

I'm so glad to hear you don't agree with any of it, I really am. Correct me if I'm wrong but are you the guy who's always defending bible bashers in any relgious based debtates on here? Again, apologies if I have you confused with someone else.

No, you have the wrong guy there. But I just reread that, and it was a bit unfair - Robbie Savage is a bit of a God. :P

Well, that's not so much an opinion as a statement of fact - and it's wrong. The current Fifa administration is in its death throes but financially speaking international football has never been healthier, and it's finance that matters in determining whether or not a professional branch of the entertainment system is alive or not.

It's very much an opinion. When I say dead I am not refering to finance at all - I refer to the plastic and fraudulant nature of the modern international football scene.

It's very much an opinion. When I say dead I am not refering to finance at all - I refer to the plastic and fraudulant nature of the modern international football scene.

But it's not dead if it's more commercially succesful than ever, is it? It's just pish.

But it's not dead if it's more commercially succesful than ever, is it? It's just pish.

The original values are dead. I assumed people would figure that was what I meant as opposed to me thinking that international football is financially broke.

Post acid house (arguably post disco) there is a culture of "clubbing" that is about more than the traditional social elements of the nightclub, for many the whole purpose of going to a club is to enjoy the music and to dance to it. The answer to the question posed is that pubs don't tend to cater for this culture, musically, to the same extent (if at all).

Not that these places don't also involve a large degree of social interaction, attention seeking and people being arseholes, but there are many where people go specifically with the intention of "losing themselves" in the music/environment - this implies reaching the point where they don't care about anyone around them. Losing your inhibitions (ie where alcohol/drugs come into play) is often about being able to enjoy yourself without being self-concious about any attention that may be drawn to yourself.

Obviously if we're talking about going to the Garage and tanking Jaeger Bombs and then trying to trick young freshers into a quick fumble then none of the above applies :D

:D

Ah Thursdays at the Garage, good times.