Unpopular opinions.

4 hours ago, Malky3 said:

Of course there was a viable method of transatlantic travel that she could have used without disrupting the eco system further. She could have sat in one of the many empty seats in the planes that continued to fly over her as she pumped her raw sewage into the ocean. Her hiring that boat didn't stop a single plane from flying. 

Tell you what though - maybe you can outline what you and your family have done to cut energy consumption in your house. I'm sure you'll be able to back up your claims too with copies of your energy bills? You know - just to prove that you aren't a hypocrite. 

If she flies, she gets stick for that too. You know that, I know that. She can't win.

Secondly, this is not something that can be solved at the individual level. Me taking care of my recycling makes no difference in the face of the industrial scale polluting of the environment that's taking place all over the world.

I live in Malaysia and we've been choking in unbreathable air for the last month because of forest fires in Indonesia that happen every single year to make space for palm oil products that sustain the local economy. People have died directly because of this. Schools in the Klang Valley have been closed for the last 2 weeks because it's not safe for kids to be outside. When I look out my window I cannot see the city centre skyline which is 2 miles away.

This is happening in South America as well. Korea continues to build new coal power stations and other parts of their economy are propped up by massively pollutant factories in China, taking advantage of that country's non-existent environmental regulations. Go to China. Breathe the air. Go to India. Breathe the air.

So, your mince about my, or anybody else's, individual behaviour is meaningless. There is hee haw that can be done about this without action from people who control economies.

Also, I've seen your pot-stirring in other threads and I won't be responding to you any further. You're either thick or simply a troll and should be banned from the forum, imo. You don't have a point on this topic other than contrarianism.

3 hours ago, JTS98 said:

If she flies, she gets stick for that too. You know that, I know that. She can't win.

Secondly, this is not something that can be solved at the individual level. Me taking care of my recycling makes no difference in the face of the industrial scale polluting of the environment that's taking place all over the world.

I live in Malaysia and we've been choking in unbreathable air for the last month because of forest fires in Indonesia that happen every single year to make space for palm oil products that sustain the local economy. People have died directly because of this. Schools in the Klang Valley have been closed for the last 2 weeks because it's not safe for kids to be outside. When I look out my window I cannot see the city centre skyline which is 2 miles away.

This is happening in South America as well. Korea continues to build new coal power stations and other parts of their economy are propped up by massively pollutant factories in China, taking advantage of that country's non-existent environmental regulations. Go to China. Breathe the air. Go to India. Breathe the air.

So, your mince about my, or anybody else's, individual behaviour is meaningless. There is hee haw that can be done about this without action from people who control economies.

Also, I've seen your pot-stirring in other threads and I won't be responding to you any further. You're either thick or simply a troll and should be banned from the forum, imo. You don't have a point on this topic other than contrarianism.

First off I believe that calling someone "thick" is abusive and therefore in breach of the forum guidelines. Unlike you I'm not going to tell moderators how to do their job. 

Second, I'm certainly not a troll and I'm not being contrary on this thread. Indeed my first post on here was to agree with a number of others who had posted their "unpopular opinion" about the latest media darling eco warrier. 

And thirdly ofcourse consumption is down to the individual. Do you really think government takes a conscious decision to spend £hundreds of millions building new coal fired power stations just to f**k up the air you breathe? Is it not more likely that they are building these power stations due to the demand for more and more energy to meet the ever growing consumption demand from individuals like you? 

5 hours ago, Empty It said:
12 hours ago, Rodhull said:
Go on a boat - tokenism
Go on a plane - Hypocrite
Doubt there’s any way she could travel without being criticised if that’s what you’re determined to do regardless.

Swim

Ah but Malky would still be upset as she'd need to poop in the sea. Probably more often too.

I don't mind Greta Thunberg herself. It's the reaction of folk to her that's annoying. Saw her being called a prophet recently. She's just saying the same things that millions of other people have been saying since before she was born. She's adding nothing new to the discussion but world leaders are all sitting round pretending to listen intently as if she's actually coming up with realistic and viable solutions to the problem.

Nodding along and saying 'God bless Greta Thunberg' is easy. Doing something significant about climate change is difficult.

I don't mind Greta Thunberg herself. It's the reaction of folk to her that's annoying. Saw her being called a prophet recently. She's just saying the same things that millions of other people have been saying since before she was born. She's adding nothing new to the discussion but world leaders are all sitting round pretending to listen intently as if she's actually coming up with realistic and viable solutions to the problem.
Nodding along and saying 'God bless Greta Thunberg' is easy. Doing something significant about climate change is difficult.

I think the real issue is that a 16 year old kid is having to take the podium because so many adults have negated their responsibilities on the issue. The fact that so many white men are so outraged by her very existence is great, but most of those men would take offence at anything she said.

I see Donald Trump is now having a pop at her. Good on Greta, I say, but shame on the adults in the “green” movement who have failed to stand up.

1 minute ago, Savage Henry said:

I think the real issue is that a 16 year old kid is having to take the podium because so many adults have negated their responsibilities on the issue. The fact that so many white men are so outraged by her very existence is great, but most of those men would take offence at anything she said.

I see Donald Trump is now having a pop at her. Good on Greta, I say, but shame on the adults in the “green” movement who have failed to stand up.

Is it not more the case that she's in the news because of who she is, rather than what she's saying?

45 year old white male climate scientist tries to talk about climate change.... BOOORING.

16 year old school girl with Aspergers.... novelty... "out of the mouths of babes" type platitudes and facebook posts.

We probably agree at the root of it. Fair play to her for starting something that sparked people's interest. People are morons for needing their interest to be sparked by her though.

This is what's going on just now.

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/09/22/accept-neighbours-help-to-fight-haze-now-jakarta-post-urges-indonesia/1793096

Indonesia will do hee haw to change the situation because doing so would require their government to actually think of an economic solution that gives people in the burn zones an alternative way to make money. It's much easier to just turn a blind eye to the situation, claim there's nothing can be done and stand by idly as millions of people are poisoned every year.

The long-term impact of this is heart attacks, cancer and stunted growth. Every year people actually die in August and September because of this haze. Just last week a wee girl died. This is not some far off dystopian future. This is happening this very instant and it happens every year.

Indonesia is far from alone. Governments and corporations the world over are choosing to poison the planet and kill people to make money.

This time next year exactly the same thing will be happening here. Children are growing up with this. Many of them will die early because of it.

59 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Nah doesn't count mate. If it's not the gammon children that are getting fucked, it doesn't count. So nothing to worry about...

I think they would even sell their kids future to get a bit extra cash.

Much of the anger with her parallels very closely what was directed at the Stoneman Douglas survivors when they decided to campaign for gun control.

The vitriol about her is part of the dreary, inexorable March of the culture wars. Lots of the usual suspects also like to create outrage on the back of her building their personal brands as horrible Col Blimps. That works both ways as well, people then automatically back her because of who is slating her and everyone turns up the dial until you have one side saying she is a dead eyed Nazi and the other saying she is Jesus.

I try not to think about the present in terms of how future generations see us but I can’t help wondering what will happen in ten years if we aren’t all on fire and reenacting Mad Max. We will look back on this and a few other things in a puzzled manner.

This is what's going on just now.
https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/09/22/accept-neighbours-help-to-fight-haze-now-jakarta-post-urges-indonesia/1793096
Indonesia will do hee haw to change the situation because doing so would require their government to actually think of an economic solution that gives people in the burn zones an alternative way to make money. It's much easier to just turn a blind eye to the situation, claim there's nothing can be done and stand by idly as millions of people are poisoned every year.
The long-term impact of this is heart attacks, cancer and stunted growth. Every year people actually die in August and September because of this haze. Just last week a wee girl died. This is not some far off dystopian future. This is happening this very instant and it happens every year.
Indonesia is far from alone. Governments and corporations the world over are choosing to poison the planet and kill people to make money.
This time next year exactly the same thing will be happening here. Children are growing up with this. Many of them will die early because of it.
To be fair it's made the main evening news over here so at least it's not going unnoticed by the rest of the world.

6 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Donald trump is many things, but white is not one of them. More terracotta or burnt sienna imo. 

We've lost the climate change battle.

Earth is fucked. The tipping point has been reached and all we can is try and slow down the damage being done. That's the battle now and we're losing it. 

Money has won out and always will. The biggest contributors to climate change (those doing the most damage) make top much money to even care let alone stop. It's short sighted idiocy but if folk are coining it in they just won't care.

If we could monetise stopping climate change then it would be stopped very quickly.

16 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

We've lost the climate change battle.

Earth is fucked. The tipping point has been reached and all we can is try and slow down the damage being done. That's the battle now and we're losing it. 

Money has won out and always will. The biggest contributors to climate change (those doing the most damage) make top much money to even care let alone stop. It's short sighted idiocy but if folk are coining it in they just won't care.

If we could monetise stopping climate change then it would be stopped very quickly.

Agreed, I've been saying for years that whilst we can all do our bit by recycling and trying to minimise our car travel, we're at a point where stopping climate change isn't happening and I think it's more realistic to try and adapt to live in a warmer climate society.