Unpopular opinions.

This. You could see something "offensive" in almost every sitcom from the past if you chose to. Even early Still Game has references that would be considered offensive to some people now. The same way today's sitcoms will offend people in the future that we currently find funny and acceptable.

I was maybe a bit flippant on sitcoms as a whole. I do enjoy it’s always sunny. The main point was friends comes under this ludicrous scrutiny because of how popular it was.

And the retrospective lambasting of tv etc is ridiculous. Fawlty towers for example is absolutely outstanding but parts of that would simply never be allowed today.

Friends is shit. I absolutely despise it. The characters are dreadful, dreadful people. I used to love it when younger though.

Quite a lot of the stuff is poor when seen through the lens of today, but I don't think they intended to be offensive. It can't be denied though that some of the shit is offensive though. The homophobic stuff is quite prominent, mainly through using the accusation of being gay as an insult, or claiming that someone is doing something in a 'gay manner'. Again, I don't think the writers were genuinely homophobic. At school the insult of 'bent' and calling stuff 'gay' was normal. I used to do it and thought nothing of it, and I have never been homophobic. I'm sure loads of folk were the same.

There was an episode where Ross hired a nanny who was a guy and went mental about it. Dreadful stuff. Chandler was a horrific chauvinist who was an utter dick to his dad because his dad was trans (he was transphobic basically). Joey was a borderline rapist. Monica was ridiculed because she used to be fat, as if that defined her, and as if she was a lesser person because of it. She was also a neurotic bully. Phoebe was the biggest bully and thought she was some sort of 'wacky' character when in fact she was a total moron and exceptionally boring. Rachel was an insecure hypocrite who sabotaged Ross' wedding. They were all absolute c***s.

Anyway, Friends is fucking appalling and should be resigned to the bin and quietly forgotten about.

Edited by DA Baracus

I think you're overthinking a lot of it. Ross was uncomfortable with a male nanny. It wasn't in any way homophobic (particularly given the nanny was heterosexual). I reckon a lot of guys would be a bit cautious of a male nanny tbh.

It's a bit simplistic to say Chandler was transphobic. He had an horrifically embarrassing upbringing and that was a big part of it. Without getting in to all the political correctness, I reckon most young boys would be embarrassed. That's without mentioning his mum's antics.

Pushing it to say Joey was a borderline rapist. He was just a womaniser which is still relevant nowadays tbh.

Monica being fat was a running gag but again I don't see any issue with it given fat jokes are still in today's sitcoms. Phoebe was indeed a horrible character and Rachel was very whiney. The biggest annoyance with Phoebe was that she never seemed to mature.

As I've already said, people won't like it but some of the drivel you here folk claiming is just mental. Dig up some old Still Game episodes and you'd find similar "offensive" material.

On a other note. The most horrible main characters of any Sitcom is probably Sunny in Philly. Absolutely detestable human beings but it's just a superb show :D

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I think you're overthinking a lot of it.

Quite. :lol:

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Ross was uncomfortable with a male nanny. It wasn't in any way homophobic (particularly given the nanny was heterosexual). I reckon a lot of guys would be a bit cautious of a male nanny tbh.

It's a bit simplistic to say Chandler was transphobic. He had an horrifically embarrassing upbringing and that was a big part of it. Without getting in to all the political correctness, I reckon most young boys would be embarrassed. That's without mentioning his mum's antics.

Pushing it to say Joey was a borderline rapist. He was just a womaniser which is still relevant nowadays tbh.

Monica being fat was a running gag but again I don't see any issue with it given fat jokes are still in today's sitcoms. Phoebe was indeed a horrible character and Rachel was very whiney. The biggest annoyance with Phoebe was that she never seemed to mature.

A lot of the humour is at the expense of the ‘gang’ and their attitudes. The episode with the male nanny, the humour is at the expense of Ross and his reaction to him. The same with Chandler and his dad - there are also jokes about Chandlers mum and the point of it is that the divorce and upbringing has created his character.

A lot of the humour is at the expense of the ‘gang’ and their attitudes. The episode with the male nanny, the humour is at the expense of Ross and his reaction to him. The same with Chandler and his dad - there are also jokes about Chandlers mum and the point of it is that the divorce and upbringing has created his character.

Indeed. A lot of people miss the point of the male nanny thing.

The three of them get upset at a man being a nanny and then spend the rest of the episode doing girly things to the point Ross breaks down in tears at the end.

The point being they were being all macho about a male nanny when in actual fact they’re all quite feminine in many ways themselves.

Yeah would agree that it's over thought now, and include myself in that (by which I mean whenever I think about the show, which is only when prompted like this thread for example).

As I said, I don't think the show ever intended to be offensive/homophobic/chauvinistic/etc, the same as many shows of the time.

The characters are still abysmal trash as people though! 

The story with Chandler and his dad wasn’t Chandler being transphobic.
Chandler had a hard time growing up and being at school with his father who was exuberantly transsexual but he eventually came to accept his dad for who is he.

Also the story with Carol and Susan raising Ben as a same sex couple was pretty rare is the 90s.

Friends was ahead of its time. There’s a reason it’s still popular with people in their 20s.