Unpopular opinions.

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
20 minutes ago, Andre Bo said:
It's a bunch of lazy stereotypes living in a land of no economic reality, talking in stupid buzz-phrases, and it has lots of casual prejudice against various vulnerable social groups.

Prejudice?

Fat people, gay people, trans people...

I expect they joked about fat people but I can't think of anything shocking with regards to the next two. Chandler's dad was trans but they hardly ripped into him or even made fun of him.

2 hours ago, The OP said:

I’m slightly torn on Ricksen. He seemed like an arsehole but not the worst by any means. He contracted the most terrible condition I can imagine. He didn’t hide away and raised the profile of the condition somewhat without pouring buckets of cold water on himself. I am not going to lose any sleep over it but it’s quite a sobering reminder of God’s twisted sense of humour if you have forgotten about all the children with cancer.

Some people have been fair milking it though, the grieving's been going on since 2013, Stephen Hawking got less attention.

Edited by welshbairn

Think the saddest thing about Fernando was watching him go through it all, from revealing he had the disease on Dutch TV right through his various charity events to the point he was in a wheelchair and unable to speak for himself at the end. Was really sad to see but he never shied away from the public and always came across as positive throughout his illness which isn’t easy to do.

That Sun story is truly cringeworthy though, it’s almost as if the old firm supporters are the British/German soldiers during the First World War and are putting their differences aside on Xmas day.

13 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

There should be no minute silences at games where he didn't play for that club. It's not like he was a well loved wee scoundrel across the country, or some revolutionary player.

Jeez, wait till Gascoine self-implodes.  At least they'll have nae trouble in the crem with him.

10 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
11 hours ago, Andre Bo said:

I expect they joked about fat people but I can't think of anything shocking with regards to the next two. Chandler's dad was trans but they hardly ripped into him or even made fun of him.

The entire purpose of Chandler's dad is so they can say "hey, his dad dresses like a woman! That's a bit weird" with varying degrees of tastelessness. 

14 hours ago, Andre Bo said:

It's a bunch of lazy stereotypes living in a land of no economic reality, talking in stupid buzz-phrases, and it has lots of casual prejudice against various vulnerable social groups.

Friends is of its time. It's absurd to judge people, books, tv shows, etc from the past by the touchy moral standards of 2019. It's also grossly unfair.

Personally I think it's fine if you're looking for something easy to watch with the bird when you're feeling lazy.

4 hours ago, throbber said:

Think the saddest thing about Fernando was watching him go through it all, from revealing he had the disease on Dutch TV right through his various charity events to the point he was in a wheelchair and unable to speak for himself at the end. Was really sad to see but he never shied away from the public and always came across as positive throughout his illness which isn’t easy to do.

That Sun story is truly cringeworthy though, it’s almost as if the old firm supporters are the British/German soldiers during the First World War and are putting their differences aside on Xmas day.

This always gets me. The way the media go on, you'd think Glasgow was some kind of segregated city where Old Firm fans never meet and live separated existences, only occasionally coming together to fight or try to kill each other.

The reality is that they are work colleagues, neighbours, school pals, university classmates, drinking buddies, they play fives against each other.

Obviously it helps to hype up 'the biggest and most intense rivalry in the world' but it's not reflective of 21st century life.

I think people forget that sitcoms as a genre are invariably shite.

They’re full of lazy, cheap “laughs” and storylines designed to be as accommodating for the simple minded as possible.

Friends only attracts such ire because it became so popular.

I could think of Seinfeld and The Office as two examples of good sitcoms so that invariably needs to go.

I think people forget that sitcoms as a genre are invariably shite.

They’re full of lazy, cheap “laughs” and storylines designed to be as accommodating for the simple minded as possible.

Friends only attracts such ire because it became so popular.

I agree with your first post and also the last part of this one. Some people just love knocking something that's popular. I don't agree with your view on sitcoms in general though. Watch It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia and you'll understand why.
Friends is of its time. It's absurd to judge people, books, tv shows, etc from the past by the touchy moral standards of 2019. It's also grossly unfair.
Personally I think it's fine if you're looking for something easy to watch with the bird when you're feeling lazy.
This. You could see something "offensive" in almost every sitcom from the past if you chose to. Even early Still Game has references that would be considered offensive to some people now. The same way today's sitcoms will offend people in the future that we currently find funny and acceptable.

4 hours ago, JTS98 said:

This comment sort of proves my point. I didn't like it at the time either.