Unpopular opinions.

Guest JTS98
1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Interesting point of view. What’s your alternative to elections? Dictatorships?

Lotteries. It's not my idea. It's a very old idea from Ancient Greece. Avoids the dictatorship of rhetoric and wealth, which is what we have now.

Just now, JTS98 said:

Lotteries. It's not my idea. It's a very old idea from Ancient Greece. Avoids the dictatorship of rhetoric and wealth, which is what we have now.

So you draw a lottery (I assume from every citizen in the country?) that gives control of the country to that person/group of people? What happens if the winner of the lottery is mentally ill? Or a violent racist?

So you draw a lottery (I assume from every citizen in the country?) that gives control of the country to that person/group of people? What happens if the winner of the lottery is mentally ill? Or a violent racist?

129958-004-C9B8B89D.jpeg

Guest JTS98
10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yip.

Elections give us racists and sociopaths. Look at how the people in charge of our country show utter contempt for the poorest people in the nation. Look at the harm wealthy people are prepared to inflict on the population as a whole simply to further their own ends. Look at the incestuous relationships this has built between politics, private education, the media and the financial industry. All legitimised by their status as elected representatives.

There's a reason Saddam Hussein held elections and Vladimir Putin continues to go through the motions of holding them, even though they're an utter sham.

Government jobs should be dished out on a fixed term basis by lottery. We do it for jury duty.

Edited by JTS98

Probably still be an improvement on the Tories.

6 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Easter Island had a similar system except it wasn’t a lottery.

Instead it was the family of the winner of the annual Birdman Competition that got to run the Island.

9 hours ago, Estragon IS NOT a fud said:

Good post.

I'll add a related one onto this. People who film themselves talking to cops/traffic wardens/license inspectors etc to try "show them up". A most pathetic power trip. Add in the paedophile entrapment vigilantes to that too. Strange, strange people.

You should always film any interactions you have with Police if you are able to especially if you did not initiate it. They are lying b*****ds

1 hour ago, Ziggy said:

Easter Island had a similar system except it wasn’t a lottery.

Instead it was the family of the winner of the annual Birdman Competition that got to run the Island.

The annual Birdman Competition didn't involve strapping feathers to one's arms and throwing oneself off a very high cliff? 

"You're the family of the late winner of the competition, may he rest in peace. We've decided to let you run things for a while as you've shown low cunning by getting rid of an idiot member of your family from the gene pool in a subtle way" 

6 hours ago, Wile E Coyote said:

You should always film any interactions you have with Police if you are able to especially if you did not initiate it. They are lying b*****ds

Yes. Here in the U.S., there is huge public support for having the police wear bodycams to record their interactions with the public. To the surprise of nobody, many police departments are opposed to the idea and where their usage is mandated, officers frequently "forget" to switch them on. It almost makes one suspect that the "few bad apples" trope is a crock of shit.

17 hours ago, JTS98 said:

Yip.

Elections give us racists and sociopaths. Look at how the people in charge of our country show utter contempt for the poorest people in the nation. Look at the harm wealthy people are prepared to inflict on the population as a whole simply to further their own ends. Look at the incestuous relationships this has built between politics, private education, the media and the financial industry. All legitimised by their status as elected representatives.

There's a reason Saddam Hussein held elections and Vladimir Putin continues to go through the motions of holding them, even though they're an utter sham.

Government jobs should be dished out on a fixed term basis by lottery. We do it for jury duty.

When you say government jobs do you mean the cabinet or civil servants. Because I agree anyone could be in the Cabinet but not everyone could be a civil servant and the time it would take to be a policy expect would be far longer than the time you're in post.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

When you say government jobs do you mean the cabinet or civil servants. Because I agree anyone could be in the Cabinet but not everyone could be a civil servant and the time it would take to be a policy expect would be far longer than the time you're in post.

I'm talking about all elected positions. MPs, MSPs, MEP;s, local politicians, mayors etc.

I'm not talking about the abolition of expertise.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I'm talking about all elected positions. MPs, MSPs, MEP;s, local politicians, mayors etc.

I agree anyone could do that, the problem would be the "fame" and responsibility that comes with those jobs. But I agree most folk couldn't do a worse job than the bunch we are laboured with just now.

6 minutes ago, JTS98 said:

I agree anyone could do that, the problem would be the "fame" and responsibility that comes with those jobs. But I agree most folk couldn't do a worse job than the bunch we are laboured with just now.

Guest JTS98
3 minutes ago, Adam101 said:

The celebrity aspect of it would lessen as so many people got a turn. It would just become something that happens.

Politics should not be glamorous.

18 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

18 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

129958-004-C9B8B89D.jpegBoris_johnson_(cropped).jpg.1b74d67da7bf12944fc8955e88c05359.jpg

FTFY

There's literally nothing inherently wrong with the principles and ideology of Communism(some of our financial policy should be modelled on it*). The media and right-wing politicians attempst to create an equivalence between it and far-right fascism being "just as bad as each other!!!!!!!1" is hilarious. So is the smearing of any left-wing politician as a "communist".

*The closure of all private schools, outlawing of private property leasing & the owning of any residential properties that you do not use as your permanent domicile , and  a heavy, heavy, heavy inheritance tax.

Maybe a reboot of communism is just what the doctor ordered.

https://www.communist-party.org.uk

Bit of work needed on that website.