Unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, The OP said:

Tbh I was more being facetious about fish and chips being the best way to show a professional chef’s mastery because he has a fryer, rather than doubting your steak cooking and pizza making abilities.

It was an example of something I would consider ordering. To be honest, restaurants are well capable of making a mess of a basic fried haddock by overcooking it or not allowing the batter to drain off the oil properly...

Red wine and lemonade is a superb summer drink; red wine and Irn Bru (or Coca Cola, which the Spanish actually do) is crossing the line into total fucking nonsense.. 

My mate worked in a bar and a guy came in and asked for a pint of half lager half Coca Cola. Something I’ve never heard of before or since.

51 minutes ago, Angusfifer said:

Making the pizza dough from scratch is a bit of a pussy (Dundee term without an English translation) but worth the effort. The tomato sauce is dead easy...

But to cook a pizza properly requires a ridiculously hot pizza oven, which is both i) unlikely to be found in a home kitchen and ii) would be ridiculously inefficient to heat up to temperature for one-two batches, even if you owned one. So pizza actually falls into the 'can't (or would be idiotic to) replicate' camp if you're going to any proper establishment.

1 minute ago, virginton said:

But to cook a pizza properly requires a ridiculously hot pizza oven, which is both i) unlikely to be found in a home kitchen and ii) would be ridiculously inefficient to heat up to temperature for one-two batches, even if you owned one. So pizza actually falls into the 'can't (or would be idiotic to) replicate' camp if you're going to any proper establishment.

No. 220 degrees in a regular oven  is adequate. It's all about the pizza base being left to rise, kneaded properly and brushed with olive oil. Not complicated but time-consuming...

1 hour ago, Angusfifer said:

Don't order anything in a restaurant that you couldn't cook better at home. I would include steaks and pizza in this.

I'd exclude pizza as it's basically a toasted cheese sandwich and why people rave about it is mystifying.  Other than that you are absolutely right.  Steak is, by a country mile, the easiest thing to cook at home and requires no more expertise than having a pan hotter than you think and to cook the steak for less time than you think.  It's an absolute piece of piss to cook 'restaurant quality' steak at home.

Those two aside, your assertion, "Don't order anything in a restaurant that you couldn't cook better at home" is on the money.

7 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Pizza is without question, the greatest food in the world. Anyone who doesn't like pizza that isn't lactose intolerant is definitely OFTW.

6 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Absolutely correct.

Mr Kincardine being exhibit A

I like pizza.  I have a Tesco Finest salami and artichoke pizza that I'll put in the oven in the morning and have it for breakfast after I shower:

pizza.JPG.8104770eb855e4d40f73764872179c0a.JPG

I paid £3 for it and any normal person going out for a meal and asking for pizza has no place discussing food.  It's nothing more than toasted bread and a few toppings.

5 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

Pizza for brekkie is Jared O'Mara level behaviour.

Oh behave.  You're a Brit.  Savoury food for b'fast is de rigueur.  So much better than cereal or whatever other shite folk eat.

I cooked ham hock on Sunday and my oldest and I had the leftovers with cheese and mustard on a bagel for b'fast on Monday.  Glorious.

Edited by The_Kincardine

Glad someone has finally asked.

And now we wait.....

Prefer what to what? A steak in a restaurant? I prefer literally anything to that.  Imagine going to a restaurant and picking a steak. I can't believe someone could have boring enough tastes to do that.  Or how they managed to tear themselves away from their jigsaws long enough to venture outside.

A non-committal answer here and I know Bairnardo is as upset as I.
You’d prefer just heading to, let’s say, TGI’s than go to a local steak house for a meal? Or, you’d rather just a can of juice than a glass of red wine with a meal? I’m not exactly a connoisseur of either wine or steak but I can appreciate that some are very good and much better than just bog standard scran and drink.
Also, do hipsters drink usual on-tap lager? Like I said, from my experience it’s usually craft stuff?