Unpopular opinions.

Signing a receipt?! That shit stopped about 20 years ago!

Also you can use your debit card for transactions. Not sure why there is an emphasis on credit cards in the discussion.

I've just done so in Morrisons.

29 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Such a misused word is the word rustic. It's so fake to use it to sell badly made shite furniture and house garnishings such as pots and plates. Shabby chic is another. Why pretend to make a piece of badly made furniture look worn through scrubbing some paint of it when you can buy superior worn hard wearing furniture by auction or through charity shops like BHF or Blythswood.

Examples of shit rustic furniture is the Corona range pretend Mexican style

image.thumb.png.37607220ff747a0799f05e7492f58077.png

Under close examination there are gaps between joints, hinges are small and weak likely not suitable for continual use. Wood is chunky and easily damaged, also the storage space is limited having been taken up by thick pieces of wood that are unsuitable for the job of being furniture.

I've sold and put together that shite, the wood's like sponge, if you rest your phone on the surface it will leave a dent.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Its ironic that genuine aged furniture isn't rustic enough for these wanks who prefer to buy the concept badly made shite.

'patinated retro-chic' is the phrase you're struggling for and, yes, you're right.  It is shite.

I actually started railing against this rubbish when I rented a flat in Hoxton Square in 1982 and the furniture factory next door churned out reproduction chairs and tables in some 18th C style with green leather inlays and 'antiqued' mahogany finishes.  A shame on the British furniture industry.  And on British consumers.

12 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

All made from young chinese timber usually as well.

Certainly not like normal pine, much softer and incredibly light which is nice if you're delivering it and manage somehow not to dent it.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

The phrasing is not mine and I'm not struggling . The word rustic is also thrown about to describe food or anything else that is imagined to be rugged and or earthy in a cloud cuckoo  land kind of way. Its like describing the highlands of Scotland a scene of rustic natural beauty when it obviously isn't natural having been shaped for use by centuries of land ownership and resource stripping.

I just don't see the point of painting a piece of furniture then taking sandpaper to it. It looks shit.

It would probably be a bit darker if it looked like a shit...

47 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

People aren’t entitled to their own opinion, if their opinion is total shite and completely wrong. The argument “well, it’s my opinion” is not valid if you’re completely incorrect.

A lot of people don't understand the difference between opinion and fact. One is subjective, the other objective.

"Strawberries taste nice." is an opinion and one which anybody is entitled to. Just as others are entitled to disagree.
"Strawberries are a fruit." is a fact. Opinion doesn't come into it and if you think otherwise, you're simply wrong.

Of course, in Trump's post-truth "alternative facts" world, the rules have changed somewhat. Dumb b*****ds everywhere can state the most unimaginable shite and think they're "entitled' to do so.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

A lot of people don't understand the difference between opinion and fact. One is subjective, the other objective.

"Strawberries taste nice." is an opinion and one which anybody is entitled to. Just as others are entitled to disagree.
"Strawberries are a fruit." is a fact. Opinion doesn't come into it and if you think otherwise, you're simply wrong

Oh to live in your simple, B&W, binary world.  Add this to your coarse-grained 'there's a  clear line between facts and opinions' myopia and see what results:

Rangers are shite
Rangers are deid

15 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Oh to live in your simple, B&W, binary world.  Add this to your coarse-grained 'there's a  clear line between facts and opinions' myopia and see what results:

Rangers are shite
Rangers are deid

I've a feeling I'm going to regret asking this but how would you define 'facts' versus 'opinions' and in what way is there not a clear line between them?

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

A lot of people don't understand the difference between opinion and fact. One is subjective, the other objective

1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

How would you define 'facts' versus 'opinions' and in what way is there not a clear line between them?

You're the Factmeister, matey.  You simply draw the lines and I laugh at them.

Go on then...in your simpleton world...(and one apposite to our forum) conjure the statements I made and divide them in to fact and/or opinion.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

You're the Factmeister, matey.  You simply draw the lines and I laugh at them.

Go on then...in your simpleton world...(and one apposite to our forum) conjure the statements I made and divide them in to fact and/or opinion.

Sigh. Well, the first statement 'Rangers are shite' is an opinion. Do we agree on that at least?

As for the second, 'Rangers are deid', I simply don't know enough about the legalities of the case to know whether this is a fact or not. Many of the posters on this forum say it is a fact but that doesn't in and of itself make it one. There are many people, including the ones who make the rules who say it is not a fact, and in the cosmic scheme of things, that carries more weight. Therefore, based on my admittedly limited knowledge of the topic, I'm going to go with that statement being opinion too.

To be clear though - me not knowing whether 'Rangers are deid' is a fact or not, does not change whether it 'is' a fact or not.

'Rangers Football Club play in the Scottish Premiership' is a fact, not an opinion.

The dictionary is quite clear on the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion.'    

37 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

The dictionary is quite clear on the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion.'    

Only a scoundrel would would use a dictionary as a 'get out of jail' card.  Dr Johnson's dictionary, the first 'famous' one, was a work of fact and fancy...a bit like your posts.

To quote Molesworth, "as any fule kno" there is a broad and grey area between objective fact and perceived reality.  I'm dredging up my memory from doing philosophy in the early 80s but that's what made David Hume, God rest is soul in  Calton Cemetery, a genius with his statement that, "axioms are not self-evident truths, they are fundamentally unprovable assumption".

Edited by The_Kincardine

On 12/16/2018 at 17:02, Snafu said:

Such a misused word is the word rustic. Home improvement centers selling badly made shite furniture and house garnishings such as pots and plates with the concept of Shabby chic or rustic. Why pretend to make a piece of badly made furniture look worn through scrubbing some paint of it when you can buy superior worn hard wearing furniture by auction or through charity shops like BHF or Blythswood.

Examples of shit rustic furniture is the Corona range pretend Mexican style

image.thumb.png.37607220ff747a0799f05e7492f58077.png

Under close examination there are gaps between joints, hinges are small and weak likely not suitable for continual use. Wood is chunky and easily damaged, also the storage space is limited having been taken up by thick pieces of wood that are unsuitable for the job of being furniture.

When the wife and I were starting out our bedroom "furniture" was the canvas and wood shite out of Argos. Over the years we've had a succession of shite stuff like that above but when we moved to this house she put her foot down and demanded a custom made set from Sterling. Nearly £4k and I paid through gritted teeth but I have to admit it was worth it.  You can turn the drawers over and stand on them, the whole thing is solid and weighs a ton. Also lifetime guarantee so any scratches or dings get fixed by them.