Unpopular opinions.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

I've yet to see a slotless transaction when folk pay by credit card. You know where the person inserts card into slot, punches in their number. Waits for it to be accepted then signs the reciept.

Why is this difficult to understand. :lol:

If all card transactions are contactless then I can see your point but they are not.

And they are slower than cash transactions. :P

Goalposts shifted. Your initial statement was that card transactions are slower than cash. That is not the case.

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I've yet to see a slotless transaction when folk pay by credit card. You know where the person inserts card into slot, punches in their number. Waits for it to be accepted then signs the reciept.

Why is this difficult to understand. :lol:

If all card transactions are contactless then I can see your point but they are not.

And they are slower than cash transactions. :P

I haven't had to sign a receipt for years, even if I have to punch the number in.

Footprint.
Credit cards, loyalty cards etc serve for market research companies to track your spending habits and therefore  lifestyle for the benefit of advertising. Your details are sold on often without your consent and lo and behold when the junk mail through the letter box and into your e-mail inbox you start wondering how did they know? There's also some nasties out there who also can get hold of your info. Don't ever believe your spending habits are your business only. It's big brother with a smile and free gifts.
I'm not familiar with contactless.
Aye, never pay for your fertilser and peroxide in the same transaction, same card,etc. People have been caught by doing that.

2 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Never seen contactless before and still having to sign receipts. Is Snafu living in the 50s?

Maybe he's living in America, don't think they even have chip and pin yet.

Edited by welshbairn

7 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I was unaware such technology existed in the 1960's, but this was just my experience and opinion, opinion on an unpopular opinions thread. hint hint

Next time you get stuck behind someone getting all kafuddled and taking till next day to pay off their purchase by credit card, just remember I told you so.

I always carry a fountain pen to lend to speed up proceedings.

2 hours ago, Snafu said:

Rain, snow, temper tantrums?

I hope you bring a bag for your shopping rather than ask for one.

I always feel inclined to reuse a bag from the same shop. I know some people like to use any old bag for their shopping including fierce rival brands. Imagine using an ASDA bag in Tescos  tut! tut

Feel like a rebel?

I make a point of using rival stores' bags. 

I had a young mother in front of me at the Coop the other day who had a packet of cereal and something else that were cosmetically damaged, just the wrapping and probably by her, and she was demanding a discount. An assistant was called who took them away to check, came back and offered a small discount. She argued it wasn't enough and demanded to see the manager. You could see they knew she was taking the pish but the manager came down and gave her another 20p off or something. About 15 fucking minutes of silent raging.

26 minutes ago, UsedToGoToCentralPark said:
1 hour ago, welshbairn said:
I always carry a fountain pen to lend to speed up proceedings.

With your cheque book and guarantee card?

And a letter of introduction from my bank manager asserting I come from a good family.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Good on you. You are showing that they will have to up their game if they are to keep your custom.

Its also good to see people are holding onto their old carrier bags to reuse. I have a decent enough collection which includes bags from defunct shops as One Up and Borders but the Scotland on Sunday bags are the best very hard wearing, non offensive and can last for years.

That was my thinking...

About a year or so ago I was down in the Borders and stopped at a Co-Op for something. At the till I touched my contactless card to the terminal with the suave, sophisticated manner of the man who has had it for nearly a whole week. Nothing happened. I touched it to the terminal again. Nothing. At the third attempt, whilst holding the card firmly against the terminal, the slack-jawed masticating till jockey looked at me in disdain -

"You ... put ... the CA-ARD ... in the SLO-OT"