Unpopular opinions.

11 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I take it you work for a retail company that encourages use of cards.

When you actually stand in line and observe the process of someone in front paying by card it does take longer.

Nope. It’s obvious that unless you’re paying for something that’s exactly say £10 and you can hand over a tenner and leave, then contactless card payments are far quicker.

2 minutes ago, Snafu said:

What has reward points got to do with the length of time it takes to pay?

The thread title is Unpopular Opinions, I gave my opinion. I don't need to explain if I choose not to. If you ask me a question then I'm entitled to ask one back.

Reward points are to encourage the customer to spend more money in a store than he or she really needs to. 

I have never been a fan of cards in any form and have never been in debt, go figure.

You know it’s possible to have a debit card without an overdraft?

What has reward points got to do with the length of time it takes to pay?
The thread title is Unpopular Opinions, I gave my opinion. I don't need to explain if I choose not to. If you ask me a question then I'm entitled to ask one back.
Reward points are to encourage the customer to spend more money in a store than he or she really needs to. 
I have never been a fan of cards in any form and have never been in debt, go figure.
Fair enough, you are quite right there about points having nothing to do with payment speed.

FYI my amex is a charge card so the full balance has to be paid every month as such tend to try and pay for everything with that as opposed to cash.

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Yeah funny.

Everyone knows Inverness should really be called Tesco town with the hold the company has on the city making ASDA jump through hoops to get a site. I will only occasionally enter a Tesco and the ASDA is closest but I show no loyalty to brands so loyalty cards ans their reward points mean little to me.

I like the Tesco on Dores Road because it's always empty. Or Morrison because the car park's handy for town. My tesco points get converted to Avios points which should mean I'd get a free flight every so often but they're closing down so I don't know what's happening. Contactless is quicker than cash. We should have a chat again sometime.

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Footprint.

Credit cards, loyalty cards etc serve for market research companies to track your spending habits and therefore  lifestyle for the benefit of advertising. Your details are sold on often without your consent and lo and behold when the junk mail through the letter box and into your e-mail inbox you start wondering how did they know? There's also some nasties out there who also can get hold of your info. Don't ever believe your spending habits are your business only. It's big brother with a smile and free gifts.

Are you my wife?

39 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Footprint.

Credit cards, loyalty cards etc serve for market research companies to track your spending habits and therefore  lifestyle for the benefit of advertising. Your details are sold on often without your consent and lo and behold when the junk mail through the letter box and into your e-mail inbox you start wondering how did they know? There's also some nasties out there who also can get hold of your info. Don't ever believe your spending habits are your business only. It's big brother with a smile and free gifts.

I'm not familiar with contactless.

This is all fine and well, but your original point on speed is still incorrect.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This isn't the form of card transaction I referred to.

I haven't seen this in any of the stores up here.

Just about every shop and pub in Inverness has them, even wee shops. 

Edited by welshbairn

I'm enjoying a bottle of Heineken. That's right. A bottle. 

I paid for it in Tesco using contactless method and ensured I got my reward points too. 

The Mrs stuck rigidly to the speed limit on our return to the house despite my best efforts to make her do 31mph and thus endanger all the pretty nuns and kittens out doing their Christmas shopping. 

:)

16 minutes ago, Snafu said:

I'll stick to cash payments thank you.

21 minutes ago, Snafu said:

This isn't the form of card transaction I referred to.

I haven't seen this in any of the stores up here.

You said cash was quicker than card. It isn’t, as has been demonstrated. Whether you prefer using cash or not is irrelevant to the speed, just accept you were wrong and move on.