Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

My gran genuinely believed you'd get a better tan if you sat "over here, closer to the sun." 

If she was phoning you from Uganda or Indonesia or somewhere like that then she was probably right. 

1 hour ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:

Even men with steel hearts love to see a dog in the pub

I think we've already established that this is what dog owners and the noticeable minority who fawn over stranger's dogs think.

Guest Moomintroll

In Romeos defence this is supposed to be the Unpopular opinions thread. Having said that, I bet that Peter Lawwell hates dogs.

Just now, Moomintroll said:

In Romeos defence this is supposed to be the Unpopular opinions thread. Having said that, I bet that Peter Lawwell hates dogs.

According to the OP, Romeo is in a majority and therefore has made a spectacular c**t of himself by putting it in here.

I don't mind dogs, but their owners are usually buffoons. We had a dog, but it was hers, not mine. If I was forced to walk it, I was invariably approached by these tubes, enquiring its name and age. The last thing I need is this kind of cretin in a pub.

Guest Moomintroll
According to the OP, Romeo is in a majority and therefore has made a spectacular c**t of himself by putting it in here.
To be honest I couldn't be bothered to go back & look at the OP.

I don't mind dogs, but their owners are usually buffoons. We had a dog, but it was hers, not mine. If I was forced to walk it, I was invariably approached by these tubes, enquiring its name and age. The last thing I need is this kind of cretin in a pub.
Both cats and dogs, despite being by far the most popular pets, seem to attract some very stupid hyperbole.

I work with a guy who is easily goaded into a cringeworthy rant about how all cats should be poisoned/shot/some other means of cat genocide.

You see the same with dogs. The reality is cats are about as inoffensive an animal as exists, and the problem with any given dog is almost exclusively their owners.

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Both cats and dogs, despite being by far the most popular pets, seem to attract some very stupid hyperbole.

I work with a guy who is easily goaded into a cringeworthy rant about how all cats should be poisoned/shot/some other means of cat genocide.

You see the same with dogs. The reality is cats are about as inoffensive an animal as exists, and the problem with any given dog is almost exclusively their owners.

The problem with both cats and dogs is shite. 

Dogs do bigger and more messy shites in more public places and are therefore worse. 

There should be no need to specially breed animals for captivity just for company. Working animals, OK, but not just to keep in the house. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

Dogd are basically bred to take their lead from whoever owns them.

Yes, some have personality traits that make them more difficult than others but essentially if a dog is doing whatever the f**k it likes it's because their owner has showed them that it's ok to do so. Some people either don't care or have no idea how to train or interact properly with a dog. It's a frustration for sensible dog owners as these dogs are most likely to run up to another dog in public as opposed to random humans.

Guest Moomintroll
Dogd are basically bred to take their lead from whoever owns them.
Yes, some have personality traits that make them more difficult than others but essentially if a dog is doing whatever the f**k it likes it's because their owner has showed them that it's ok to do so. Some people either don't care or have no idea how to train or interact properly with a dog. It's a frustration for sensible dog owners as these dogs are most likely to run up to another dog in public as opposed to random humans.
Substitute the world child for the word dog there & that is an equally valid statement ( well it loses it a bit towards the end).

When I was a kid most people who had dogs had border collies, labradors, golden retreivers or West Highland terriers.  Nowadays everyone seems to have one of these weird breeds with squashed faces, some ratty thing that needs to wear a coat or some terrifying creature bred to rip your arm off.

The problem with both cats and dogs is shite. 
Dogs do bigger and more messy shites in more public places and are therefore worse. 
There should be no need to specially breed animals for captivity just for company. Working animals, OK, but not just to keep in the house. 
Dog shite in public areas is entirely down to irresponsible owners. Cat shite is much worse because they roam free. Every time I have to pick up cat shit in my garden it sends me loopy. I thought the wee b*****ds were supposed to bury it?

I disagree about your thoughts on breeding. I will always own a dog because I enjoy their company but both cats and dogs are, in many cases, the only form of company some older people have.

22 hours ago, ICTChris said:

When I was a kid most people who had dogs had border collies, labradors, golden retreivers or West Highland terriers.  Nowadays everyone seems to have one of these weird breeds with squashed faces, some ratty thing that needs to wear a coat or some terrifying creature bred to rip your arm off.

Or Mongrels with silly names like labradoodle or cockapoo that gullible people pay megabucks for. Hat's of to the breeders for that one. It's up there with selling potato peelings as potato skins and charging a  fiver.

Edited by thisal

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Dog shite in public areas is entirely down to irresponsible owners. Cat shite is much worse because they roam free. Every time I have to pick up cat shit in my garden it sends me loopy. I thought the wee b*****ds were supposed to bury it?

I disagree about your thoughts on breeding. I will always own a dog because I enjoy their company but both cats and dogs are, in many cases, the only form of company some older people have.

Even the most responsible owners can only get 90% of the most repulsive skittery shite up though. 

Old people could have robots or sex dolls instead. 

Owners of dogs in pubs tend be the type that practically live in the place and will bore the f**k out of the poor person behind the bar and anyone in the vicinity with their opinions on absolutely everything... 

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

It's nice to know that the dog breeds are representative of the modern population of Scotland.