Unpopular opinions.

20 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

This is certainly an unpopular opinion but actually one I tend to have sympathy with. I think some of the hysteria attached to modern identity politics etc thoroughly dilutes and cheapens the real issues.

Similarly there are plenty on the opposite side that use ‘political correctness gone mad’ to justify their sometimes appalling view of the world.

Agree totally with your first paragraph.

You've kinda fallen for the same trick here though, the "gone mad" meme is used to deflect any and all criticism instead of addressing the individual issues. Which views of the world, and why are they appalling?

There is no political correctness "gone mad" as far as I'm concerned, there is just political correctness working as it is intended - as an ideological weapon of control and compliance to the Acceptable Narrative using the Correct Language, keeping Wrongthink neatly hidden where it belongs.

Only a small percentage of people can carry off tattoos.

The vast majority look ridiculous particularly peely wally, overweight British people, looks terrible now and will look even worse when you get older.

4 hours ago, banana said:

Agree totally with your first paragraph.

You've kinda fallen for the same trick here though, the "gone mad" meme is used to deflect any and all criticism instead of addressing the individual issues. Which views of the world, and why are they appalling?

There is no political correctness "gone mad" as far as I'm concerned, there is just political correctness working as it is intended - as an ideological weapon of control and compliance to the Acceptable Narrative using the Correct Language, keeping Wrongthink neatly hidden where it belongs.

I think there are people out there who are genuinely racist (and believe me, I don't use that term lightly like some do), who claim political correctness as a justification for it. 

You won't agree with me but political correctness fundamentally is a good idea given the historic impacts of racism, anti-semitism etc etc.  I do believe however we've gone too far in this regard and genuine racist (or other) issues get hugely diluted by people who want to shout about how much they believe in equality and won't miss an opportunity to say so.

31 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

99/100 superhero movies are all shit and the only good ones would be good films anyway due to high quality actors and storylines.

Its a cash cow for Hollywood and they are milking it.

Aye, Guardians of the Galaxy is the only decent one in recent memory, due to the surprising bantz. Thon Batman one everyone hates with Bane was decent too.

35 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

99/100 superhero movies are all shit and the only good ones would be good films anyway due to high quality actors and storylines.

Its a cash cow for Hollywood and they are milking it.

You already said this a few pages back

On 7/17/2018 at 16:28, Dons_1988 said:

I think there are people out there who are genuinely racist (and believe me, I don't use that term lightly like some do), who claim political correctness as a justification for it. 

Surely true, but this would be a weak representation bordering on strawman regarding the critiques of political correctness. "I'm racist because of political correctness" comes way down the list.

On 7/17/2018 at 16:28, Dons_1988 said:

You won't agree with me but political correctness fundamentally is a good idea given the historic impacts of racism, anti-semitism etc etc.  I do believe however we've gone too far in this regard and genuine racist (or other) issues get hugely diluted by people who want to shout about how much they believe in equality and won't miss an opportunity to say so.

How did you know? :D 

What historic impacts of racism, anti-semitism, etc. would political correctness have prevented/solved and not just delayed? Why does that make it a fundamentally good idea? Compared to what other approaches? What are the risks, even when it hasn't 'gone mad' yet in your definition? Are those risks worth it, if so why and what are the limits? What damage does it do to the groups it supposedly sets out to help, to the 'oppressive' group? What's the logical conclusion?

The longer a society (or community, or family, or relationship, or individual) runs without truthful open dialog and with restricted speech, the greater it cannot function properly, cannot identify the necessary regular course corrections. More than this, it actively prevents course corrections ("Stop and search is racist!"), and worse gives free reign for the embedding and regurgitation of demented dogma ("Equality! Diversity! Inclusion!") through institutions and society. Keeping the genie in the bottle requires harder and harder restrictions on liberty (folk getting visits/prosecuted for jokes, tweeting song lyrics, 'misogyny'). A slightly terrifying, totalitarian path we're on, no?

The old course at st Andrews is complete and utter shite with not one good hole and several that are utter utter utter horseshit.  9 and 10 are easily the two worst consecutive par fours on the face of the planet.  It actually makes me angry every time I go round it how bad it is.

St Andrews is not the home of golf, and is simply the greatest marketing exercise in human history.  People travel from all over the world, spend huge amounts of money, queue up overnight and dream for years about playing somewhere that is essentially a fkn goat track and if you ploughed your average field you'd have as good a course in a couple of hours.

1 and 18 are simply a half decent driving range, neither is a golf hole.

Edited by Peppino Impastato

14 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

People travel from all over the world, spend huge amounts of money, queue up overnight and dream for years about playing somewhere that is essentially a fkn goat track and if you ploughed your average field you'd have as good a course in a couple of hours.

:lol: