Unpopular opinions.

Most of the UK shouldn't whinge about current fuel prices as for years, folk in the Highlands with far poorer public transport services have been paying what the southerners are paying now. The 'it's your choice to live in Britain' card doesn't go down too well with the 'it's their choice to live all the way up there' brigade.

Oasis are ok. Nothing more. Oasis fanboys are cuntos.

Older people are being greedy by not retiring, and keeping the jobs for themselves.

After the age of 60 older people should have to resat their driving test every two years.

All of the bands that came out of Manchester in the late 80s, early 90s (stone roses etc) are fucking shite, and the people who enjoy that music are bucket hat wearing fifa.

Benefits should be stopped for those not wanting to work, and live off benefits the rest of their lives. These people should be sterilized so they don't bring up 5 children with a shite attitude to work.

It should be legal to belt wee cheeky neds.

Useful degrees such as engineering or science should be free. Completely useless ones like art or media or drama the student should have to pay for.

Useful degrees such as engineering or science should be free. Completely useless ones like art or media or drama the student should have to pay for.

I'm along the same lines although think that students of in-demand* subjects should be given more grants seeing as Scottish students basically get it free anyway. Maybe even let them off with the graduate endowment instead (or as well?).

*slightly different to 'useful' as people can argue that finance is useful in the modern world, just that too many folk study it when only a handful will actually get graduate level jobs.

Music festivals are shite

Totally agree. Never got the hype. Even if the weather is half decent, the sound is shit, many of the people around you are in a bigger mess than a McDonald's floor, and if you were in the same company as them under any other circumstances you'd be making your excuses.

And that's before we even get to camping and "sanitation".

there's quite a lot of stigma going on here for the jobless. a lot of these things are easy to say while you already have a job.

my point is why should our cities and towns look a mess while we have unemployed people desperate to work.

its technically a job, they get paid, the outcome is tidier streets etc and the workers can feel they earned the money. instead of it just being handed to them.

british music festivals are shite.

i'm just back from primavera in barcelona though which is definitely not shite. great bands,a friendly crowd who are there for the music first of all, and city location so you can hire an apartment and have great dining options and interesting stuff do during the day before the bands start at 7.

see also benicassim and sonar in spain, soundwave and garden in croatia, exit in serbia and melt in germany.

my point is why should our cities and towns look a mess while we have unemployed people desperate to work.

its technically a job, they get paid, the outcome is tidier streets etc and the workers can feel they earned the money. instead of it just being handed to them.

If I went into the Jobcentre and they said "Right, we're going to get you to clean up the place" I would be expecting to be paid properly for the hours that I worked, and not receive benefits any more, as I would be in employment.

but doesn't this seem more like a punishment than a 'job'? our towns and cities look a mess because people in scotland seem to have a total disregard for the environment around them, not because of the unemployed. plus, i imagine the government would, under law, have to pay them by the hour, so it could get to the point where people leave school and decide it's easier to clean streets all their life rather than look for work.

Edited by bullywee

I'm inclined to agree. I would suggest a system whereby an individual is given a set amount of time to find a job - a couple of months seems fair to me - and then they are put out to work cleaning the streets, maintaining parks and so on. They've been given the opportunity to find a job on their own, they get the feeling of having earned the money that they get, we all get the benefits of cleaner public areas and you never know, the wee neds who choose the dole as their occupation learn that there's no such thing as a free lunch. The wee b*****ds that spend their time vandalising public spaces (you and I know these are not people in full time employment) may just decide that it's not so much fun once they have to clean it up for themselves and just maybe, they'll hate it enough that they'll go and find a job that they do want. It wouldn't even need to be full time - dole money doesn't equate to a full time wage and they still need to have time to sign on and look for work. I think it's a great option personally.