Unpopular opinions.

Two things. First of all, Frightened Rabbit are pretty well known now, I think if somebody told me FR are their favourite band I wouldn't think "I'm impressed with this persons musical knowledge and taste", because most people I know under the age of 25 know and like Frightened Rabbit. All the truly wanky people prefer The Twighlight Sad anyway dahling. ;)

Secondly, The Red Hot Chili Peppers have some great songs. They certainly aren't my favourite band, but you have to be a bit of a bawbag to look down on people for liking them imo. The only band I would look down on someone if they declared them their favourite band is Coldplay. This has nothing to do with how big they are (my three favourite bands are all as big as they come and often disliked by the music police types), it's just how dull they are. Don't get me wrong they are easy listening and have some alright songs, it's not a crime in my eyes to like them. However if your favourite band in the world is something as beige as that you are obviously a c**t imo.

Mind you I'm a huge fan of Oasis, so tuck into that all you want.

biggrin.gif most of that post was made in jest. and funny you should mention oasis, the only reason i decided to make that post is because i was thinking about an oasis/ RHCP argument i had at the weekend, which has resulted with me feeling as if i hate the chilis even though i quite like a lot of their stuff.

and on the point of FR, i'm aware that they're big, i've argued that they're a lot bigger than other scottish bands like the view, it's just a lot of the people i know haven't heard of them, or if they have heard of them, it's because i've mentioned them. i am from a small town though.

and on the point of FR, i'm aware that they're big, i've argued that they're a lot bigger than other scottish bands like the view, it's just a lot of the people i know haven't heard of them

Surely that defeats your argument?

I thought this would be unpopularf, but having discussed it at length with my flatmate earlier it appears I may be wrong as he agreed with me. Let's see:

I have zero sympathy for anyone suffering from problems due to alcohol or (more specifically) drug addiction. I think their problems are self inflicted and it's not as if the problems caused by things like heroin are a national secret. Watching The Scheme has only reinforced my view.

Surely that defeats your argument?

yes and no. frightened rabbit seem to have a large fan-base outside of scotland, particularly in england and the US. the view seem to have been forgotten about in most of england and have little exposure elsewhere.

i obviously understand that to be able to sell out 2 nights at the barras (as both bands have recently done) makes you quite big, but at least in the circle of people i know, frightened rabbit are relatively unknown while the view are made out to be one of the biggest acts in the UK.

edited to add - there was little argument, the original post was a shite wind-up attempt

Edited by bullywee

I thought this would be unpopularf, but having discussed it at length with my flatmate earlier it appears I may be wrong as he agreed with me. Let's see:

I have zero sympathy for anyone suffering from problems due to alcohol or (more specifically) drug addiction. I think their problems are self inflicted and it's not as if the problems caused by things like heroin are a national secret. Watching The Scheme has only reinforced my view.

Nah, such a scummy view is pretty unpopular, you were right.

It's an abhorrent opinion that avoids the scientific evidence to the contrary either through ignorance or dogma, but its depressingly widespread.

yes and no. frightened rabbit seem to have a large fan-base outside of scotland, particularly in england and the US. the view seem to have been forgotten about in most of england and have little exposure elsewhere.

Fair enough, I can't claim to have any knowledge of musical exposure in other markets whatsoever.

i obviously understand that to be able to sell out 2 nights at the barras (as both bands have recently done) makes you quite big, but at least in the circle of people i know, frightened rabbit are relatively unknown while the view are made out to be one of the biggest acts in the UK.

I'm aware of the name Frightened Rabbit but I couldn't list a single song. I'm a fan of The View so obviously could but even if I weren't really into them I reckon more can name songs like Same Jeans etc, they're popular 'mainstream' hits. Of course the 'size' of a band is subjective in some ways. FR seems to be a bit of a niche at the moment.

Edited by vikingTON

Fair enough, I can't claim to have any knowledge of musical exposure in other markets whatsoever.

I'm aware of the name Frightened Rabbit but I couldn't list a single song. I'm a fan of The View so obviously could but even if I weren't really into them I reckon more can name songs like Same Jeans etc, they're popular 'mainstream' hits. Of course the 'size' of a band is subjective in some ways. FR seems to be a bit of a niche at the moment.

i think the further south you go, the less people remember the view. i've talked to a few people from the south of england about the view (no idea why this has come up once, let alone a few times) and all but one knew the name. they could remember same jeans, but not the band whose song it was. on two occasions i had it pointed out to me that it's a ringer of brimful of asha, something i hadn't realised before.

Nah, such a scummy view is pretty unpopular, you were right.

It's an abhorrent opinion that avoids the scientific evidence to the contrary either through ignorance or dogma, but its depressingly widespread.

:lol: Fair enough, got the right thread then I suppose.

As a fan of neither I couldn't name a song from either's catalogue, nor do I reckon I could tell you what either sound like or whether a song's their's or not just from hearing it.

Unpopular thoughts:

I don't mind the Old Firm. Under Strachan and Smith especially, both teams were full of Scottish players, playing in Europe, and I happily cheered them on. I also think that OF fans get too hard a time sometimes, yes there are fuds, but a lot of the time, they are no worse than any other fans. Oh, and I don't see what is wrong with most (not all) of the songs that the OF sing, particularly Celtic. I don't see the problem with the likes of Go Home British Soldiers and Boys of the Old Brigade. In fact, I fucking love Boys of the Old Brigade.

I also find its funny with people getting upset about Sectarian songs. Anyone who is offended by a fucking song really needs to take a look at themselves, how can you take someone singing at you seriously?? If anyone wants to come and sing about killing and raping my family to the tune of 'Old Mcdonald ' then come and we'll have a real old hootnanny.

You see riots going on in football grounds all over the world, yet we get all up in arms as a country if someone dares sings some stupid songs.

another opinion that might not actually be unpopular but i've seen it mentioned about this forum plenty of times. Who gives a fuck about european co-efficients?? It annoys the hell out of me when you have a Morton/Arbroath/East Stirling fan etc moaning about The Old firm doing badly in europe affecting our co-efficient when it will never apply to their team. It's always fans of those teams that say the Old Firm make us the " laughing stock " of Europe whenever they do badly, despite the fact that Europe couldn't give two shits about The Old Firm or Scotland in general.

I agree, perhaps not with Alcoholism but with Heroin addiction. Anyone in Scotland who takes Heroin for the first time in this day and age knows exactly what sort of life they are heading for, and how addictive it is. I can't understand why any single person, who obviously knows and sees what it does to people can choose to take it for the first time, and i have zero sympathy for them for doing that, which in effect means i have zero sympathy for anything they do in future. I've saw the trouble they cause to families and lives, and it was all brought upon themselves from the moment they decided they were going to ruin their lives.

All sympathies should be spent on the families who have to pick up the pieces and have their lives ruined by these people, theyre the ones that have to suffer the consequences of other peoples actions through no fault of their own while the culprits get benefits thrown at them and all the help in the world to give them the sort of lifestyle that means they never have to give up their habit or make a better life for themselves.

the only reason i decided to make that post is because i was thinking about an oasis/ RHCP argument i had at the weekend, which has resulted with me feeling as if i hate the chilis even though i quite like a lot of their stuff.

For me that happened with Radiohead. Me and a mate always argued over who was better between Radiohead and Oasis, to the point where I was actually making Radiohead out to be totally shite. After deciding to give them a lot more time than I previously had, I did realise that they are an absolutely cracking band.

It's funny becaue I always thought The View weren't that big in England, untill I went to Leeds Festival with my flatmate who looks just like Kyle Falconer. The guy was getting as many comments as he gets in Glasgow, ie a hell of a lot. You could say that the people who go to a music festival are obviously more in the know regarding Indie bands than your average person, but according to my flatmate he gets it a lot wherever he is in England.

People discussing music when I want to read about how some a have no sympathy for drug users are annoying!

edit -

maybe this should have been in the 'petty things that annoy you' one!

Edited by Mr Waldo

How come one man got so much fame?

His PR was the Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great-Great Grandfather of Max Clifford?!

MaxClifford.jpg