Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, Empty It said:

People should have to renew their driving licence with a test every 10 years.

I like the idea a comedian had. Remember those little spring gun that shot a dart with a big sucker on the end?

image.thumb.jpeg.4598f2c504a5870cef400d1e04571407.jpeg

Well, every driver gets one, with three darts that have a flag that says “Moron”. Anytime a cop sees a car with five moron darts on it, they ticket the driver for being an idiot. Add in if the car has twenty or more, the cop takes the license and makes the driver retest.

21 hours ago, Empty It said:

People should have to renew their driving licence with a test every 10 years.

Driving a vehicle must be the only qualification permitted high risk activity where you don't have to refresh/ reprove your competence at regular intervals. I'm pretty sure the only reason this isn't already a thing is because it would be very unpopular with the public and so many people have a driving license nowadays 

31 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Driving a vehicle must be the only qualification permitted high risk activity where you don't have to refresh/ reprove your competence at regular intervals. I'm pretty sure the only reason this isn't already a thing is because it would be very unpopular with the public and so many people have a driving license nowadays 

I imagine the logistics of retesting everyone regularly is probably also a factor, although it does seem like a golden opportunity for a Tory donor to win another lucrative government contract.

I'm also not convinced as to how much safer the roads would be. While there are clearly some who are incompetent and, sadly, those who are no longer capable of driving safely, a large part of the problem - and not just with driving - is that too many nowadays just don't give a shit about anything beyond their own wants, and that such people would do what is needed to pass the test and then immediately revert to type.

19 minutes ago, Shipa said:

I imagine the logistics of retesting everyone regularly is probably also a factor, although it does seem like a golden opportunity for a Tory donor to win another lucrative government contract.

I'm also not convinced as to how much safer the roads would be. While there are clearly some who are incompetent and, sadly, those who are no longer capable of driving safely, a large part of the problem - and not just with driving - is that too many nowadays just don't give a shit about anything beyond their own wants, and that such people would do what is needed to pass the test and then immediately revert to type.

On the whole, the worst tend to remove themselves from the driving pool (unfortunately, often with others) via fatal accidents or non-fatal accidents removing their access to vehicles or affordable insurance. Be thankful you have a “minor” uninsured driver issue (estimated at 1m of 51m drivers). Due to the sheer need to drive (poor mass transit, large distances, car culture), in the U.S. uninsured drivers are more like 28m of nearly 235m. Comparatively, that’s 2% in the UK and 12% in the U.S., with a much more permissive licensing scheme in the U.S.

16 hours ago, TxRover said:

On the whole, the worst tend to remove themselves from the driving pool (unfortunately, often with others) via fatal accidents or non-fatal accidents removing their access to vehicles or affordable insurance. Be thankful you have a “minor” uninsured driver issue (estimated at 1m of 51m drivers). Due to the sheer need to drive (poor mass transit, large distances, car culture), in the U.S. uninsured drivers are more like 28m of nearly 235m. Comparatively, that’s 2% in the UK and 12% in the U.S., with a much more permissive licensing scheme in the U.S.

Wait, are you saying that there are 51 million drivers in the UK?

That figure sounds high to me.

On 29/04/2023 at 18:46, TxRover said:

I like the idea a comedian had. Remember those little spring gun that shot a dart with a big sucker on the end?

image.thumb.jpeg.4598f2c504a5870cef400d1e04571407.jpeg

Well, every driver gets one, with three darts that have a flag that says “Moron”. Anytime a cop sees a car with five moron darts on it, they ticket the driver for being an idiot. Add in if the car has twenty or more, the cop takes the license and makes the driver retest.

A red dotting system with consequences.

What damage could a Marshmallo type do with such power?  He'd pay a fortune on the Black Market to get extra darts.

42 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

A red dotting system with consequences.

What damage could a Marshmallo type do with such power?  He'd pay a fortune on the Black Market to get extra darts.

More like creating false identites to get more darts.

4 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Wait, are you saying that there are 51 million drivers in the UK?

That figure sounds high to me.

Sounded high to me too, but it’s the number that was provided in a FOI request in 2020….but, reading through it more I suspect it included a number of licenses issues to non-residents, etc. Better number seems in the 35-37m range, but that still excludes some people.

However, that would increase the percentage to around 6%, but that likely drops a bit once you exclude the “extras” above. 

1 hour ago, TxRover said:

Sounded high to me too, but it’s the number that was provided in a FOI request in 2020….but, reading through it more I suspect it included a number of licenses issues to non-residents, etc. Better number seems in the 35-37m range, but that still excludes some people.

However, that would increase the percentage to around 6%, but that likely drops a bit once you exclude the “extras” above. 

Yes, I looked it up too.

The bigger number seems to include provisional licence holders, people who've emigrated, and quite possibly some who've died.  

35 million is also plenty, mind.

59 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Yes, I looked it up too.

The bigger number seems to include provisional licence holders, people who've emigrated, and quite possibly some who've died.  

35 million is also plenty, mind.

It's only 25% more than the uninsured U.S. driver total...

Bunting is shite. Decorations are fine, but bunting is like issuing bland party orders for robots.

THE TIME FOR ORGANISED MERRIMENT HAS ARRIVED. A LOW-TO-MODERATE LEVEL OF CELEBRATION IS NOW ACCEPTABLE. COMMENCE EXCITEMENT.

• 3 weeks later...

Graeme Souness is a good pundit, and actually a decent person too. The undercurrent of the past few years of trying to label him a racist or whatever else because of his Pogba criticism was really unfair. Up here he was very instrumental in helping reducing the level of racism and bigotry in football from the levels it was at in the 80s. Also heard him speaking very eloquently and introspectively about homophobia a year or two. 

I think he's a good pundit and will be missed. Far better than your Redknapps and Richards of this world.

1 hour ago, Jives Miguel said:

Graeme Souness is a good pundit, and actually a decent person too. The undercurrent of the past few years of trying to label him a racist or whatever else because of his Pogba criticism was really unfair. Up here he was very instrumental in helping reducing the level of racism and bigotry in football from the levels it was at in the 80s. Also heard him speaking very eloquently and introspectively about homophobia a year or two. 

I think he's a good pundit and will be missed. Far better than your Redknapps and Richards of this world.

You watched Breakfast TV this morning? 

• 2 weeks later...