Unpopular opinions.

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Why would she be unhappy over one photo? Sounds fairly amusing more than anything.

Some folk go absolutely mental regarding wedding photos, and wedding stuff in general. Some folk even still video the whole thing. Absolute madness.

I think you have hit on one of the reasons. Some bridezillas will stop at nothing to make their day perfect. When I say perfect I mean spectacular on social media. Hence the increase in castle style venues and dress style demands made of family and guests.

It's not good enough to iron your shirt and turn up at the local hotel. Same with stag nights. We used to get pished on a pub crawl. Now you have to go abroad.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

4 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I think you have hit on one of the reasons. Some bridezillas will stop at nothing to make their day perfect. When I say perfect I mean spectacular on social media. Hence the increase in castle style venues and dress style demands made of family and guests.

It's not good enough to iron your shirt and turn up at the local hote. Same with stag nights. We used to get pished on a pub crawl. Now you have to go abroad.

Too many bridezillas are driven by what the wedding industry say they should be doing, rather than what is right for them. Maybe, hopefully, the current cost of living crisis will make people realise that spending shed loads of money on one single day is load of nonsense, and that the money would be better spent setting up a house and home.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Kilts have been formal and military wear in Scotland for well over two centuries.

Suspect the reason folk didn't wear them at wedding 50 years was partly affordability and partly the fact weddings werent the big fucking faff they are now.

When I was growing up in the 60s it was only soldiers and teuchters who wore kilts and normal people laughed at them.

Not sure about affordability.   A man's wedding suit was probably the most expensive one he'd ever own and I doubt a 'made to measure' from Claude Alexander was much cheaper than the price of a kilt (though more useful/wearable) and certainly more expensive than hiring a kilt that's so common these days.

I'd put it down to the rise of the tartan army and Scotland having good teams late 70s and on.

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

We should make the National dress long hair, flares, tartan scarf round the wrist and a bottle of Thunderbird.

If you're basing that on the 70s it would be Eldorado, not Thunderbird. Don't think Thunderbird had been invented in Scotland in the 70s (apart from the Gerry Anderson version, of course) but spot on apart from that.

🙂

Edited by scw1987

1 minute ago, scw1987 said:

If you're basing that on the 70s it would be Eldorado, not Thunderbird. Don't think Thunderbird had been invented in the 70s (apart from the Gerry Anderson version, of course) but spot on apart from that.

🙂

Indeed.  VP, El D or Lanliq.

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed.  VP, El D or Lanliq.

I started drinking in the mid 70s, VP & Lanliq were gone by then round our way, El D was the drink of choice. Mind you, if you were posh or pretentious you went for Croft Original for alcohol fuelled escapades...

9 minutes ago, scw1987 said:

I started drinking in the mid 70s, VP & Lanliq were gone by then round our way, El D was the drink of choice. Mind you, if you were posh or pretentious you went for Croft Original for alcohol fuelled escapades...

You had to be versatile for away games. I remember drinking this in Wales.

download (9).jpeg

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I used to have a photo of the old man from the early 70s and he's in a kilt at some do.

Scouts used to sell programmes at the Tattoo and I volunteered. A mate who'd done it before said "Wear a kilt, the Yanks tip you if you do". Made twenty quid in tips which was decent dough for 1987.

8 hours ago, Brother Blades said:

Weddings, in general are absolute overpriced pish. That’s just as a guest. 

Absolutely this. There was a spell about 10 years ago when all my mates were in their late 20's and getting married, we were at all the fancy places round Aberdeen (Norwood, Marcliffe, Pittodrie House, Ardoe) and someone would drive and have a cool box in the boot and we'd pop out every now and then. The price of drink was scandalous then at these places, presume it's worse now. 

They are ready ripping off the bride and groom for food, venue hire, rooms, why can't they just charge reasonable prices for booze. Robbing b*****ds. That's without thinking about what the happy couple get ripped off for photographers, bands and cake. 

20 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Seems like it’s maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread based on the last page, but I love a wedding, especially a mates once rather than family. A massive party with all your mates having a great laugh together. Always find it odd when people don’t enjoy them tbh.

The only weddings that aren't really enjoyable are the fiddlers invite to some workmate of the wifes where you know no-one type deals. The run in my late 20s where myself and most of my mates got married was fucking great for days out. All of them were class. You own in particular, where the guest list is just all of your friends and family there to have a genuine good time and to give you your wee shot of being the main event is amazing.  

22 hours ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I've seen the pictures from my parents' wedding in the early Seventies, and I don't remember anyone being in a kilt.

It's not as simple as Braveheart coming out, is it? Fucking minter, if so.

Anyone whose parents were married in the early 70s are too green around the gills to post on an 'unpopular opinions' forum. Can we agree a cut off date of parental marriage set at June 10th 1965 ?

Edited by kennie makevin
Typo

20 hours ago, scottsdad said:

At a wedding 20 years ago, the groom's brother was in a kilt and went commando. 

After the event, the couple got all the photos professionally developed and put into an album. Paid a lot for this company to make this for them. One photo was of him dancing, doing some kind of high kick. Twig and berries on display. 

The bride was pretty unhappy, to say the least. 

Was that because she realised she'd married the wrong brother? 

Seems like it’s maybe one for the unpopular opinions thread based on the last page, but I love a wedding, especially a mates once rather than family. A massive party with all your mates having a great laugh together. Always find it odd when people don’t enjoy them tbh.

If it takes a wedding for all of your mates to have a great time together then perhaps you're not such good mates after all.

I've had decent times at weddings, but generally better, more memorable times with mates outwith weddings. Wedding invitations are like drawing the Old Firm in the cup: exciting at first but eventually a rigmarole you can't really be fucked with almost identical to the previous time.