Unpopular opinions.

Going 'Scotsman' when wearing a kilt is a load of bullshit.
It's absolutely fine to wear underwear when wearing a kilt. In fact, it's better.
Given I rent if I need a kilt, I'd find it incredibly manky to wear it without underwear tbh.

17 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
3 hours ago, DA Baracus said:
Going 'Scotsman' when wearing a kilt is a load of bullshit.
It's absolutely fine to wear underwear when wearing a kilt. In fact, it's better.

Given I rent if I need a kilt, I'd find it incredibly manky to wear it without underwear tbh.

Indeed! One of the main factors for me for wearing underwear with a kilt. Also the thought of my boabg rubbing against kilt material is not the funnest prospect. 

But just in general, I think the 'real Scotsman' stuff is utter bollocks and probably invented by a p***k of a person (I actually have no idea how it came about).

Indeed! One of the main factors for me for wearing underwear with a kilt. Also the thought of my boabg rubbing against kilt material is not the funnest prospect. 
But just in general, I think the 'real Scotsman' stuff is utter bollocks and probably invented by a p***k of a person (I actually have no idea how it came about).
I have done both, by FAR the worst thing about going commando is that any slight dribble of pish that gets on the kilt after you have been for one doesn't absorb in, and hits your legs, which is the most fucking disgusting feeling in the world.

I used to have a pal who worked in a dry cleaners, and she said when they cleaned stuff, they put some powder stuff on first, and it showed up where pish had been.... Some chemical reaction. She said that when they did kilts they were always just absolutely covered in pish [emoji23]

Eta, re who invented it, my assumption would some middle aged group or Tartan Army bores. Like a group of 4 or 5 Colins from 2 doors down.

When did wearing a kilt become de rigeur for social occasions in Scotland? My dad didn’t wear a kilt when he got married in 1967, nobody at the wedding was in a kilt and none of the other family weddings around that time seem to have anyone wearing them. My dads side of the family are from the Borders and my mums from Shetland so maybe in other parts of the country it was more common though, before becoming normalised late in the 20th century.

Kilt suits are ace, simply for laziness if nothing else.

Socially acceptable way of wearing the same old thing every time.  Hanging away in the cupboard there, needing nothing other than a shirt with its collars and arms ironed at a minutes notice.

29 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

When did wearing a kilt become de rigeur for social occasions in Scotland? My dad didn’t wear a kilt when he got married in 1967, nobody at the wedding was in a kilt and none of the other family weddings around that time seem to have anyone wearing them. My dads side of the family are from the Borders and my mums from Shetland so maybe in other parts of the country it was more common though, before becoming normalised late in the 20th century.

Aye, I've seen the pictures from my parents' wedding in the early Seventies, and I don't remember anyone being in a kilt.

It's not as simple as Braveheart coming out, is it? Fucking minter, if so.

Kilts have been formal and military wear in Scotland for well over two centuries.

Suspect the reason folk didn't wear them at wedding 50 years was partly affordability and partly the fact weddings werent the big fucking faff they are now.

Edited by invergowrie arab

17 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Aye, I've seen the pictures from my parents' wedding in the early Seventies, and I don't remember anyone being in a kilt.

It's not as simple as Braveheart coming out, is it? Fucking minter, if so.

I don’t think so. When I was a teenager people, including me, wore kilts to school dances, formal events etc, that was in the mid 1990s.

1 minute ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Probably started in the 80s. Even old football pictures from Wembley 1977, there aren't many. Lots of bunnets etc.

We should make the National dress long hair, flares, tartan scarf round the wrist and a bottle of Thunderbird.

At a wedding 20 years ago, the groom's brother was in a kilt and went commando. 

After the event, the couple got all the photos professionally developed and put into an album. Paid a lot for this company to make this for them. One photo was of him dancing, doing some kind of high kick. Twig and berries on display. 

The bride was pretty unhappy, to say the least. 

2 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I don’t think so. When I was a teenager people, including me, wore kilts to school dances, formal events etc, that was in the mid 1990s.

My family was invited to some function in a hotel when we lived in Sweden in the early 70's. I was 9 or 10 and my parents made me wear a kilt. Some adults asked me what the sporran was for and I told them it was for putting money in. They stuffed it full of Kronor so I forgave my parents.. :)

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

At a wedding 20 years ago, the groom's brother was in a kilt and went commando. 

After the event, the couple got all the photos professionally developed and put into an album. Paid a lot for this company to make this for them. One photo was of him dancing, doing some kind of high kick. Twig and berries on display. 

The bride was pretty unhappy, to say the least. 

Why would she be unhappy over one photo? Sounds fairly amusing more than anything.

Some folk go absolutely mental regarding wedding photos, and wedding stuff in general. Some folk even still video the whole thing. Absolute madness.