Unpopular opinions.

Just now, The Naitch said:

Testing the limits of this thread IMHO

I stand by it! They have a load of dreck too mind, and their last good tune was Beautiful Day, but before that they had plenty of top songs.

They have loads of cracking tunes in their older catalogue. U2 are like The Simpsons: excellent in the beginning but went on far too long and ended up producing more shite than quality.

They have loads of cracking tunes in their older catalogue. U2 are like The Simpsons: excellent in the beginning but went on far too long and ended up producing more shite than quality.
It's funny. My two favourite albums of theirs are Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Nobody else seems to agree.

Boy is very good as well though.

4 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

The episode where they appear in The Simpsons is fucking tremendous as well 

U2 are one of those one-song bands, like Coldplay and Snow Patrol. If you don't like the song, they're like nails down a chalkboard.

On the other hand, I love Motorhead and Discharge.

10 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

It's funny. My two favourite albums of theirs are Achtung Baby and Zooropa. Nobody else seems to agree.

Saying Zooropa is good is very much an unpopular opinion

10 hours ago, Sarto Mutiny said:

Achtung Baby is a fucking banger of an album. There isn't a weak track on it IMHO.

Sure, like every band that have gone stratospheric, they put out some lacklustre stuff but when you;ve got access to producers like Eno & Daniel Lanois, you really can't go wrong in the long run.

&

15 hours ago, BFTD said:

On the other hand, I love Motorhead and Discharge.

As anyone should. Although these guys out-Discharge Discharge for me...

9 minutes ago, ParsJake said:

As anyone should. Although these guys out-Discharge Discharge for me...

Whoa, that's fucking superb! Thanks!

I love how the Japanese vocalist has done such a good job of mimicking Cal's accent!

22 minutes ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

kilts are shite

I disagree with this one in a big way.

However I do have my own Scotland related one. Robert Burns should not be hailed as a national hero. By all accounts he was a fairly unsavoury guy from his attitude towards women and his initial taking of a job in the slave trade, and just because he wrote a few poems doesn’t change that.

Edit: Yes I’m fully aware of the irony of my username. I’ve had it since I joined at 15 I don’t care enough to pay for premium to change it.

Edited by Honest_Man#1

15 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I disagree with this one in a big way.

However I do have my own Scotland related one. Robert Burns should not be hailed as a national hero. By all accounts he was a fairly unsavoury guy from his attitude towards women and his initial taking of a job in the slave trade, and just because he wrote a few poems doesn’t change that.

Edit: Yes I’m fully aware of the irony of my username. I’ve had it since I joined at 15 I don’t care enough to pay for premium to change it.

Judging the attitudes of folk 200 odd years ago by the morals of today is daft and is often the cutting off of your nose to spite your face.

We celebrate and have a national holiday for a fucking poet. Not a soldier, or man of violence, but a poet. he's not held up as a national hero for being a flawless human being, but as a great poet. It's one of the wee things that make me proud to be scottish tbh (and I'm no tartan gonk....although I'll vote yes and I wear a kilt to scotland games...so maybe a bit). 

As a classical music fan and a fan of impressionist art, I'd suggest separating the man from the art. I don't even think Burns was that bad. He fucked about for sure, but he was a seducer by the sounds of it, not a predator. The slavery boat thing was because he was dirt poor. We might think (with the prism of retrospect) that we would definitely not work on a slave ship, but if poverty is a good balm for cognitive dissonance.

I can't believe that decrying McCartney headlining Glastonbury is a controversial take. He was a great songwriter but f**k me, Glastonbury and pop music should be for the youngsters and should be broadly inaccessible to the middle aged. I know nothing about the current scene, but surely they could get somebody with charisma, presence and high octane music to be the one act a'body is looking forward to.