Unpopular opinions.

9 hours ago, deegee said:

Seems it’s not an unpopular opinion after reading last few comments but I switched telly over and caught a few minutes of Glastonbury...the whole event and experience looks awful.

Then again as said by others, you couldn’t pay me to attend one of these festivals but the whole hassle, living like a tramp for days, paying through the nose for literally everything, having to put up with over excited “festival goers” and attention- seekers, watching has- been singers behind a sea of flags and girls on the shoulders on lads in the vain hope they get seen on tv...nope, not for me and I’d close the curtains if this shite was going on in my back garden.

^^^ What a dork 

All the footage and fan interviews I've seen from Glastonbury so far suggests that 99% of people are middle class folk largely there to 'check in' or take Instagram photos in a narcissistic attempt at racking up 'likes'.  Looks shoyte.

3 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'd still go to a smaller festival but stuck on a field for 3 days with 2 hundred thousand other people sounds like hell to me, worse than the London Carnival.

Neighbourhood Weekender in Warrington is class for middle aged, indie landfill, adherents like me.I get to go home every night so it ticks all the boxes.

11 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

He has turned into one of those sacred cows that nobody can criticise on tv or radio despite having some really pish music in his - post Beatles - back catalogue.

Glasto seems to throw one of these mental turns on the Saturday - Kylie Minogue was headliner on the Saturday 2019 and she cant sing for shit. I can only assume they think everyone is so out their tits by then that they wont notice how bad they really are.

They had Rolf Harris one year. Tom Jones did the year before and was class. 

I haven't been for over a quarter of a century but it was really brilliant as a teenager. Lots of the highlights weren't even music. Spent hours in the comedy tents, watching circuses, even watchex Mike Leigh's Naked in the cinema tent. 

By 1995 the big metal walls had gone up and there were loads of theiving b*****ds there just to rob tents. That coincided with it becoming wall to wall on the bbc. Still had Pulp's legendary late stand in set which was a real highlight but it felt more like festivalcorp

1 minute ago, Hedgecutter said:

All the footage and fan interviews I've seen from Glastonbury so far suggests that 99% of people are middle class folk largely there to 'check in' or take Instagram photos in a narcissistic attempt at racking up 'likes'.  Looks shoyte.

Ooh look at me, I'm at Glasto!!!! ####. There is no other Festival on the planet that has went so far away from it's ethos than that North London, virtue signalling smugfest. f**k the Tories, but here I am in my £5k Gypsy Csravan, AREN'T I TELLING IT TO THE MAN####

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Neighbourhood Weekender in Warrington is class for middle aged, indie landfill, adherents like me.I get to go home every night so it ticks all the boxes.

Went to a tiny festival in Shropshire in the middle of nowhere called Farmer Phil's, local bands mainly, headliners were a glam rock band, it was a right laugh, nobody taking themselves too seriously.

1 minute ago, Moomintroll said:

Ooh look at me, I'm at Glasto!!!! ####. There is no other Festival on the planet that has went so far away from it's ethos than that North London, virtue signalling smugfest. f**k the Tories, but here I am in my £5k Gypsy Caravan, AREN'T I TELLING IT TO THE MAN####

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

Went to a tiny festival in Shropshire in the middle of nowhere called Farmer Phil's, local bands mainly, headliners were a glam rock band, it was a right laugh, nobody taking themselves too seriously.

Looked at Farmer Phil's when I lived in Newtown, sadly seemed to be working every weekend it was on but people who went recommended it.

I always fancied the Milwaukee Metalfest. Dozens of terrible Death Metal bands getting five minute sets, and the promise of seeing Keanu Reeves getting bottled off. Sounded magic.

6 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I always fancied the Milwaukee Metalfest. Dozens of terrible Death Metal bands getting five minute sets, and the promise of seeing Keanu Reeves getting bottled off. Sounded magic.

Stevie Moore, the mad drummer, should be a staple of every festival here, if only to piss off a poster that I can't remember who hates drum solos. 'Mon the percussion.

6 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Stevie Moore, the mad drummer, should be a staple of every festival here, if only to piss off a poster that I can't remember who hates drum solos. 'Mon the percussion.

I can't remember who it was by, but I used to have an album that contained a 17-minute drum solo.

Also known as the prompt to put on another record.

49 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

He has turned into one of those sacred cows that nobody can criticise on tv or radio despite having some really pish music in his - post Beatles - back catalogue.

Glasto seems to throw one of these mental turns on the Saturday - Kylie Minogue was headliner on the Saturday 2019 and she cant sing for shit. I can only assume they think everyone is so out their tits by then that they wont notice how bad they really are.

McCartney dimes out on a few decent songs. Some of his lionised stuff like Hey Jude and The Long and Winding Road are absolutely shite songs. Dirges. My heart sinks whenever I hear them starting up. 

6 minutes ago, Thorongil said:

McCartney dimes out on a few decent songs. Some of his lionised stuff like Hey Jude and The Long and Winding Road are absolutely shite songs. Dirges. My heart sinks whenever I hear them starting up. 

6kt3.gif.7c6a2e057e4215f085c1e452057ef8ff.gif

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Glastonbury now reflects the universalisation of culture, it was an event that had an outsider status, was something apart from everyday life. Now, it’s really another stop on the grand middle class merry go round.

There are a lot of reasons for this - the way pop culture has become the main unifying culture in modern life, the effect of legislation in the 1990s on raves, festivals and general culture as well as many other factors.

One of the key factors being Emily Eavis, who has taken 'middle class posturing' and 'completely uninspired headline picks' and cranked the dial up to 11. 

A similar blight to the impact of Geoff Ellis on festivals in Scotland for the past ~25 years.

NB: Hopefully McArtney can go in the same week that Lizzie does, to save us from the wall to wall nauseating hagiography (over a band and artist that are totally fucking irrelevant to 2022). 

9 minutes ago, virginton said:

NB: Hopefully McArtney can go in the same week that Lizzie does, to save us from the wall to wall nauseating hagiography (over a band and artist that are totally fucking irrelevant to 2022). 

Make it a hat trick if you go too. That would be good.

His name is McCartney you doss cnut.

Amazing performance from an 80 year old legend of the music industry.

Do you have a parade if anyone makes it to 80 in Greenock?

Crack open another bottle of Eldorado!