Unpopular opinions.

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I was in Dubai a couple of years ago for work and the were about twenty folk sitting around the hotel pool in Celtic leisure wear drinking beers. Definitely ones to avoid. Not sure what they were doing there during a pandemic, mind.

Tbf that was probably just the Celtic team on their winter break.

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

You're a grown man in a football top. It's one step up from letting yer maw buy all yer clothes and asking for a 'sunday best' trackie for yer christmas. Never ceases to amaze me the number of 20'something and 30'something Scottish men who have no issues with going out in public dressed head to toe in Sports Direct shite, or the ubiquitous grey joggers and black puffer jacket. Do they still have posters of Ally McCoist and the A-team on their bedroom walls, because clearly they have no issues with still dressing like they did when they were 10.

This is me. Or close. 

It always amuses me seeing older people get upset or annoyed over clothes. I genuinely couldn't care less what other people wear. I'm intrigued as to why you seemingly care about this?

What's acceptable attire for a grown up? What's the cut off when a child becomes a man and puts away the puffer jacket? 

Fashion industry is a scam. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:
5 hours ago, Shandon Par said:
On holiday once in a really nice resort I spotted a couple of chaps sporting nice St Mirren tops. Made a point of steadfastly avoiding them for the week. 

Good shout. Could have been...... Well basically any of them off here.

Their partners looked quite despondent such was the depth of bromance/spouse neglect of the Buddies.

17 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

This is me. Or close. 

It always amuses me seeing older people get upset or annoyed over clothes. I genuinely couldn't care less what other people wear. I'm intrigued as to why you seemingly care about this?

What's acceptable attire for a grown up? What's the cut off when a child becomes a man and puts away the puffer jacket? 

Fashion industry is a scam. 

It really isn't about what I think is acceptable, I'm in complete agreement with you that people should be free to wear whatever the hell they like. 

The reason I 'care' is because I'm completely baffled by grown men that seemingly couldn't care less about their own appearance and are happy to dress in whatever Maw has ordered from the clubbie book.

I personally see my outwardly appearance as an expression of who I am. Again, I agree with you the fashion industry is largely puerile and largely about vanity and precious little else, but it's perfectly possible to dress yourself well, individually, or distinctively, without having to either spend a fortune on brands or be a slave to the latest, ever-changing trends.

I just do not understand men who still cut about looking like overgrown primary school bairns, because rightly or wrongly, the impression that it gives off is of someone who doesn't have any pride whatsoever in their appearance, is quite likely a slovenly git, and you will undoubtedly be viewed as the sort of person who is an antisocial blight on society. I accept this is entirely unfair and prejudicial, but people draw conclusions based on appearances, and if you are wearing the uniform of a thick, moronic, ned, that's what people will take you for.

8 minutes ago, Boo Khaki said:

It really isn't about what I think is acceptable, I'm in complete agreement with you that people should be free to wear whatever the hell they like. 

The reason I 'care' is because I'm completely baffled by grown men that seemingly couldn't care less about their own appearance and are happy to dress in whatever Maw has ordered from the clubbie book.

I personally see my outwardly appearance as an expression of who I am. Again, I agree with you the fashion industry is largely puerile and largely about vanity and precious little else, but it's perfectly possible to dress yourself well, individually, or distinctively, without having to either spend a fortune on brands or be a slave to the latest, ever-changing trends.

I just do not understand men who still cut about looking like overgrown primary school bairns, because rightly or wrongly, the impression that it gives off is of someone who doesn't have any pride whatsoever in their appearance, is quite likely a slovenly git, and you will undoubtedly be viewed as the sort of person who is an antisocial blight on society. I accept this is entirely unfair and prejudicial, but people draw conclusions based on appearances, and if you are wearing the uniform of a thick, moronic, ned, that's what people will take you for.

Well articulated. 

I'd agree regarding taking pride in your appearance but I'm naturally handsome and dashing so don't feel like I need to do much anyway. Only fair of me to give the ugly people who need to dress well a chance. 

I think the event is important, if you're judging someone walking to the local shops in tracksuit bottoms and a hoody then I'd say it's a bit much but it's more understandable if you were in a work environment or going on holiday or at a formal event. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

12 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I think the event is important, if you're judging someone walking to the local shops in tracksuit bottoms and a hoody then I'd say you're a bit weird but it's more understandable if you were in a work environment or going on holiday or at a formal event. 

Totally, but the references I was making earlier to 'sunday best trackie' sums the worst offenders up. I've seen grown adults walking about in some horrendous get-ups they obviously believe are 'smart', beige two-piece Adidas trackies and such, and you just know that is standard attire regardless of the situation.

I suppose it's inevitable that some people are just naturally not going to have any sense of how to dress well, or perhaps struggle a bit to even understand social convention. I think that usually manifests itself somewhat differently to the culprits I'm describing though. For want of a better term, the 'Martins' you see around clearly have significant other things going on that makes it perfectly understandable why they look like they've been dressed by their geriatric maw. I'll hold my hand up and admit that I frequently nip to the shops in a scruffy pair of 501's and trainers or something, so I'm not exempting myself entirely, but generally if I know I'm going to be in company, even if it's just having the girlfriend around for a night in, I'll at least put a shirt on or something. I just see it as a courtesy to other people not to show contempt for their presence by looking like a burst couch. It's a bit disrespectful to do that IMO and it gives off 'I don't really give a f**k' vibes, which is surely odd when it's your partner you are talking about.

But aye, to get back to your point, I'd imagine the same offenders turn up in the ubiquitous trackie or joggers regardless of the setting. Actually, I know they do for a fact. I happen to pass the Sheriff Court frequently, and you can spot the defendants a mile off, because they stand out in the sea of trackies and grey joggers because they're the only one wearing grey joggers and a Fred Perry.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I actually admire people who simply don't care about what they look like and how they dress.  One of my best friends just does not give a fvk about clothes.  He owns about 5 t-shirts (some of which are >20 years old), this is supplemented by about 5 white (greyish) work shirts.  His shoes are 'pratical'... you get the picture.

He would much rather spend his money on life, so has a huge social network, because he always says yes.  This is how a conversation with him goes;

aDONis:  I was thinking about going skiing, do you fancy...

Mate: Yes

aDONis:  You don't even know what I'm going to say or how much it's going to cost.

Mate: Just tell me when you know and I'll transfer the cash.

I'll admit to being vain/insecure enough, that I think about what I wear.

Unfortunately, I have no real fashion sense and still suffer from Council House syndrome and have a weakness for buying 'preppy' overpriced gear.

Basically I buy the same stuff on repeat, plain T-shirt, Polo shirt,  Plain shirt, Jeans.  Just to look like every other pretendy Harvard/Yale wannabe.  (Sometimes I despair at the stuff I've bought which is almost identical to what I already have).

I do occassionally like to think that I'm Chris Bonnington and buy a bunch of overpriced 'outdoor' shyte just so I can pretend I'm an outdoors woodsman when I pop down the shops for a pint of milk or down the local on an autumnal evening.

You name the weather conditions I've got the kit for it.

Want to pretend you're on a yacht with Simon le Bon, I'm yer man in pastel shorts and fvkking sweater!

Fancy a trip to the North Pole, I'll just pack my other padded jacket.

Yours, safe in the knowledge that I'm not the only one in Marlow that does it.

aDONis

I think there's a difference between people who dress like tramps through choice, and I agree there is something to be admired in people that carefree about appearance, and the folk who actually seem to regard it as a badge of honour to look like the prototypical antisocial wee fanny who makes everyone's lives a bit more miserable.

Again, I know it's unfair to prejudge people, but human beings do form impressions based on the very first visual cues, so why you'd actually strive to give off 'I'm a wee ned fanny' vibes if you are not indeed just a wee ned fanny, I do not know.

2 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

why you'd actually strive to give off 'I'm a wee ned fanny' vibes if you are not indeed just a wee ned fanny, I do not know.

It could just be more that people don't give a shit what you think of them.  I honestly haven't heard such judgemental nonsense in a long time.

I am one of those that think clothes are functional items rather like cutlery, I don't spend a great deal of time worrying about what I am buying rather a) does it fit, b) is it comfortable and c) does it have a purpose.

I don't own any joggers btw. I am however often found in walking trousers as I find them both practical and comfortable.

4 hours ago, aDONisSheep said:

I actually admire people who simply don't care about what they look like and how they dress.  One of my best friends just does not give a fvk about clothes.  He owns about 5 t-shirts (some of which are >20 years old), this is supplemented by about 5 white (greyish) work shirts.  His shoes are 'pratical'... you get the picture.

He would much rather spend his money on life, so has a huge social network, because he always says yes.  This is how a conversation with him goes;

aDONis:  I was thinking about going skiing, do you fancy...

Mate: Yes

aDONis:  You don't even know what I'm going to say or how much it's going to cost.

Mate: Just tell me when you know and I'll transfer the cash.

I'll admit to being vain/insecure enough, that I think about what I wear.

Unfortunately, I have no real fashion sense and still suffer from Council House syndrome and have a weakness for buying 'preppy' overpriced gear.

Basically I buy the same stuff on repeat, plain T-shirt, Polo shirt,  Plain shirt, Jeans.  Just to look like every other pretendy Harvard/Yale wannabe.  (Sometimes I despair at the stuff I've bought which is almost identical to what I already have).

I do occassionally like to think that I'm Chris Bonnington and buy a bunch of overpriced 'outdoor' shyte just so I can pretend I'm an outdoors woodsman when I pop down the shops for a pint of milk or down the local on an autumnal evening.

You name the weather conditions I've got the kit for it.

Want to pretend you're on a yacht with Simon le Bon, I'm yer man in pastel shorts and fvkking sweater!

Fancy a trip to the North Pole, I'll just pack my other padded jacket.

Yours, safe in the knowledge that I'm not the only one in Marlow that does it.

aDONis

Fashion is design and design is art. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look...

image.jpeg.a87f617436e91dd51e83d3160b4cbf36.jpeg

When I worked in retail, there used to be a guy that came in to the shop regularly. He was in his late 40s/ early 50s. Every time he came in, he was decked head to toe in Celtic gear. Celtic tracky with the top open so you could see the Celtic top underneath and the tracky bottoms tucked in to Celtic socks. The whole ensemble was topped off with a Celtic beanie hat. He came in one time a few days before the start of a season and I was being pushed by management to make conversation with the customers. In lieu of something better to talk about, I asked if he was looking forward to the start of the new season.

He responded quite seriously with: "I'm not really fussed mate".

I was just bemused, surely this is OFTW behaviour? 

35 minutes ago, ManBearPig said:

When I worked in retail, there used to be a guy that came in to the shop regularly. He was in his late 40s/ early 50s. Every time he came in, he was decked head to toe in Celtic gear. Celtic tracky with the top open so you could see the Celtic top underneath and the tracky bottoms tucked in to Celtic socks. The whole ensemble was topped off with a Celtic beanie hat. He came in one time a few days before the start of a season and I was being pushed by management to make conversation with the customers. In lieu of something better to talk about, I asked if he was looking forward to the start of the new season.

He responded quite seriously with: "I'm not really fussed mate".

I was just bemused, surely this is OFTW behaviour? 

TBF, Neil Lennon never did seem that interested