Unpopular opinions.

41 minutes ago, Bob Mahelp said:

LOL. Sounds like Victorian dad, but as someone pointed out there was a time when you couldn't get into a club or even a city centre boozer dressed in jeans and trainers.

Whoa, they let you in to clubs with trainers on now? That was the only reason I switched to leather shoes in the first place!

Guest Bob Mahelp
23 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Whoa, they let you in to clubs with trainers on now? That was the only reason I switched to leather shoes in the first place!

Haven't been in one since I stopped wearing a suit and tie, so I'm not sure about that.... 😀

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

The Dude had it right.

The shoes jellyfish of The Dude (Jeff Bridges) in The Big Lebowski | Spotern

Apparently, most of the clothes Mr. Bridges wore in the film were his own; including the jelly sandals. Not a look I could pull off but both The Dude and Jeff Bridges are cool as. And I also hate the fuckin' Eagles, man.

I wore a suit and tie for work every day through the 80's and always resented having to change into different dress clothes for a night out at some crappy, small town nightclub. One of the pubs, after an unnecessary and disappointing refurbishment jacked up their prices and put a bouncer on the door. They expected you to wear a tie to get into a plastic poseurs' palace of a pub. That lasted about a month until they noticed hardly anyone was going in.

These days, I rarely have occasion to dress up. Jobby catchers and a t-shirt/sweatshirt when slobbing at home or walking the dog, smart-ish jeans and a collared shirt when I go out, dress trousers and a jacket if it's real fancy but on those occasions, I'm usually over-dressed to the point where people comment.

Too bad because when I wear my (one) suit, I look razor sharp. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
3 hours ago, Shotgun said:

These days, I rarely have occasion to dress up. Jobby catchers and a t-shirt/sweatshirt when slobbing at home or walking the dog, smart-ish jeans and a collared shirt when I go out, dress trousers and a jacket if it's real fancy but on those occasions, I'm usually over-dressed to the point where people comment.

Too bad because when I wear my (one) suit, I look razor sharp. 

To be fair, if you're in the US, going out like that probably makes you the best dressed man in Colorado. 

It never fails to amaze me the amount of stunning women in American bars and restaurants, well dressed and looking great, and accompanied by a fucking slob of a guy who obviously feels that because he's pulled his Stepford wife he doesn't have to make any effort at all. 

Going into an American hotel bar after work wearing a suit and tie and having a Scottish accent is like shooting fish in a barrel (allegedly, of course). 

8 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm a confident enough person but I feel totally uncomfortable when I have to get dressed up for a formal occasion. I just hate feeling physically uncomfortable and for me that's wearing smart trousers and to a lesser extent, jeans.

I couldn't think of anything worse than having to wear a suit for work. We are supposed to be getting new uniforms in my work in the form of polo shirts and cargo style trousers rather than shirts and trousers. I'm hoping it happens. But some folk think it won't look as professional.

Comfort over appearance every time for me. I almost exclusively wear shorts because of this. I'm not heavy, I just find them less restrictive. I'll put on some jeans if we go for a meal at a nicer place but even at 'family friendly' restaurants I'll stick with my shorts.

I think it's a bigger issue that folk judge other people based on what sort of shite they choose to wear.

CEBVLSUVIAAzft-?format=jpg&name=900x900

1 hour ago, Bob Mahelp said:

Going into an American hotel bar after work wearing a suit and tie and having a Scottish accent is like shooting fish in a barrel (allegedly, of course). 

'Things I wish I'd known before I got married' thread for this pish.

Also add, a cute dug. Utter fanny magnets. 

Guest Bob Mahelp
1 minute ago, Shotgun said:

'Things I wish I'd known before I got married' thread for this pish.

Also add, a cute dug. Utter fanny magnets. 

I recommend a St Bernard. Can't go wrong. 

For work I generally look like the sort of person who appears in the tabloids getting locked up for some middle-tier drug dealing and firearms offences.

Off-duty I tend to dress like a cross between Russell Brand and a retired German tennis player. 

7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

For work I generally look like the sort of person who appears in the tabloids getting locked up for some middle-tier drug dealing and firearms offences.

Off-duty I tend to dress like a cross between Russell Brand and a retired German tennis player. 

Hopefully without the Puma hat.

nintchdbpict000334057439.jpg

Edited by welshbairn

The very first job I had, I had to wear a suit and tie. At first I hated it, but after a few months I really liked it. 
Fortunately I've always been good looking, slim and modest, so I quickly realised that a suit and tie was bit of a pull. That's how I met the missus. She loved the suit and was devastated when I turned up for oor first date in jeans and ski jacket (it was January).
Then I worked abroad where the dress code was much more casual, and I bounced between smart/casual and jeans and trainers depending on the day. 
I still miss wearing a suit though. In fact, when I remember back, I used to have 2 suits for work, and a going out suit for the weekend.
LOL. Sounds like Victorian dad, but as someone pointed out there was a time when you couldn't get into a club or even a city centre boozer dressed in jeans and trainers. 
How time moves on. 

Agreed yet folk moan about vaccine passports to go clubbing. They don't know what we had to do to get in.
Late 80s speckly top man suit for me.
Remember fashion moved to double breasted. If you were a skinny c**t with no shoulders it was a tough look.

[mention=70173]Barry Ferguson's Hat[/mention] is one of the best posters on this site who, sadly, has some truly terrific patter under-up-voted. 
I'm pretty sure him, Szamo and Oleksander are all the same person but they all make me laugh so I'm not caring