Unpopular opinions.

Done a fair bit of traveling and I must admit I like trying the local stuff as opposed to just trying their version of western style menus. 

It can be a bit hit or miss though.  In India the curries were amazing.  China was confusing as hell as many of the places I visited did not have English language menus and when you have me that does not like fish and her that is a veggie it can be akin to a drunk staggering through a minefield...you know at some point you are gonna come a cropper.

26 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Done a fair bit of traveling and I must admit I like trying the local stuff as opposed to just trying their version of western style menus. 

It can be a bit hit or miss though.  In India the curries were amazing.  China was confusing as hell as many of the places I visited did not have English language menus and when you have me that does not like fish and her that is a veggie it can be akin to a drunk staggering through a minefield...you know at some point you are gonna come a cropper.

Being a vegetarian in China is a massive limiter. Not that there isn’t ‘vegetarian’ dishes available, but outside of the muslim noodle shops you will be hard pushed to get something served that is truly vegetarian. Even standard noodles and tofu will have been mixed with some meat broth or such like.

It takes a fair bit to get your head round Indian food in India, but once you do its fantastic. For a vegetarian, its a great place.

Yeah, we got a little red book (based on Mao's little red book idea) with translations and text phrases etc.  We got a guide to write, "I am a vegetarian I do not eat meat".

He said he was struggling to write it in a way it made sense to a local as their idea of being a veggie us a bit of a head scratcher for them.  Like you said, even vegetables can be cooked in a meat based stock.

Went to a Buddhist monastery and the veggie stuff there was amazing.  Done people had  duck, they brought out a plate duck meat and a plate of bones for you to suck and chew on!  Local at the next table was crunching away like there was no tomorrow.

Asian food can be fucked up, all those deep fried insects and any curries etc.

She lived the food in indulis.  We try to take in a cooking class when we travel as not only is it fun and tasty but gets you an idea of what the locals use and like.

4 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

Yeah, we got a little red book (based on Mao's little red book idea) with translations and text phrases etc.  We got a guide to write, "I am a vegetarian I do not eat meat".

He said he was struggling to write it in a way it made sense to a local as their idea of being a veggie us a bit of a head scratcher for them.  Like you said, even vegetables can be cooked in a meat based stock.

Went to a Buddhist monastery and the veggie stuff there was amazing.  Done people had  duck, they brought out a plate duck meat and a plate of bones for you to suck and chew on!  Local at the next table was crunching away like there was no tomorrow.

Asian food can be fucked up, all those deep fried insects and any curries etc.

She lived the food in indulis.  We try to take in a cooking class when we travel as not only is it fun and tasty but gets you an idea of what the locals use and like.

Yes, vegetarianism is (was) alien to China, although I understand it is starting to take root.

Don’t tell your misses, but I would doubt what the guide wrote would make any difference what so ever. 

Got to say even the insects that are eaten, at least in Thailand, are tasty and a great beer snack. In reality they are that fried and covered in spicies, you could be eating anything. Just the visual and the ‘sensation’ which have zero bearing on the food itself.

I am usually in India a week a month or so but haven’t been since Covid and fair miss the food.

A guy took us to this restaurant courtyard which looked a shit hole.  Are of plastic plates.  A place you would have kept walking past.  They had BBC reviews on the grubby walls from God knows how long ago.

Best food I have ever tasted.

As you will know, in Asia you have to remember you are in the developing world and have to let a lot of stuff pass you by and not be judgemental...but I drew the line at egg with fetus as a street snack.

Loved the food in Vietnam and Morocco funnily enough.

17 minutes ago, Sugar_Army said:

A guy took us to this restaurant courtyard which looked a shit hole.  Are of plastic plates.  A place you would have kept walking past.  They had BBC reviews on the grubby walls from God knows how long ago.

As you will know, in Asia you have to remember you are in the developing world and have to let a lot of stuff pass you by and not be judgemental...but I drew the line at egg with fetus as a street snack.

Yep, in fairness I eat pretty much anything but draw the line at Hot vit lon/Balut (duck embryo).

The best places are usually off the beaten track without a doubt. 

Funnily, when I lived in the UK I was a terribly fussy eater.

8 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

It takes a fair bit to get your head round Indian food in India, but once you do its fantastic. For a vegetarian, its a great place.

In all the years I went to India I pretty much turned veggie when I was there. Tremendous country for veggie fodder as you say. 

Edited by Melanius Mullarkey

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

In all the years I went to India I pretty much turned veggie when I was there. Tremendous country for veggie fodder as you say. 

Why don’t you move back there? I don’t think they have squirrels in India. 

3 minutes ago, Rasputin said:

Why don’t you move back there? I don’t think they have squirrels in India. 

Bit racist m8.

Although if it wasnt so Covidy I'd happily piss off to Kerala or somesuch.

Had a quick look there and India has giant technicolour squirrels apparently. 

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Bit racist m8.

I ain’t bein racist of nuffink, but..

My dog’s raison d’être is to hunt squirrels so if you need to borrow him some time just let me know. 

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Bit racist m8.

Indeed they do - check out this fabulous wee fella*- 

Multi-coloured giant squirrel captured in stunning images in India | Indian  giant squirrel, Giant squirrel, Animals

I say "wee fella", but the name "indian Giant Squirrel" prompted a further Google, revealing

The Indian giant squirrel (an animal in Karnataka, India), can reach lengths of 18 inches.

13 hours ago, Sugar_Army said:

Had some great stuff and some not so good in Cambodia. Did not dig the fetus egg but some of the bugs were tasty.

IMG_0047.JPG

37 minutes ago, Pato said:

Did you see the guys in America eating dangerous amounts of beef to own the libs because of a rumour Biden wanted to ration red meat

One of the funniest things I've heard in recent times was, "Have you seen those Americans, Damn, they eat like they've got free healthcare."