Unpopular opinions.

10 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Smoking in general is weird behavior. Why the f**k? Because you wanted to look cool at school and found yourself with a tobacco addiction?

You could say the same about most things in life. 

12 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:
1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:
You could say the same about most things in life. 

I never started masterbating to look cool at school.

I did.

ETA: Mind you, I got expelled not long after.

Edited by Shotgun

I remember being in 3rd or 4th (think I was 14) year at school and estimating that about 70% of the kids in my year smoked. No idea if that was the case in other schools or if it’s the case today but the idea of herds of 14 year olds hanging around together and smoking is most unsettling.

7 minutes ago, throbber said:

I remember being in 3rd or 4th (think I was 14) year at school and estimating that about 70% of the kids in my year smoked. No idea if that was the case in other schools or if it’s the case today but the idea of herds of 14 year olds hanging around together and smoking is most unsettling.

I was in 3rd or 4th year around 1980 and I'd say it was much less than 50% who smoked, I'd guestimate about 25%.  

43 minutes ago, hk blues said:

I was in 3rd or 4th year around 1980 and I'd say it was much less than 50% who smoked, I'd guestimate about 25%.  

This was the year 2000/2001 for me, I do think it was a particularly bad era for underage smoking.

3 hours ago, hk blues said:

Underage drinking was much more a thing in my time than smoking.  

The boozing goes without saying sadly. 14-16 year olds were constantly boozing it up at the weekends. I was considered as being late to the party by not going out drinking until I turned 16.

4 minutes ago, throbber said:

The boozing goes without saying sadly. 14-16 year olds were constantly boozing it up at the weekends. I was considered as being late to the party by not going out drinking until I turned 16.

I played football so didn't hit the bevvy until about 17.  Drank in pubs rather than behind the shops. 

13 hours ago, tamthebam said:

The smell of cigarettes isn't nice but the smell of a cigar is quite pleasant. It's a smell that brings back memories of football terraces to me as you used to get guys smoking cigars at the football.

I'm glad smoking on the buses went. Double deckers weren't so bad as smoking was only allowed upstairs but the bus I got home from school was a single decker where smoking was allowed in the back half and the air conditioning was non-existent. We used to dread a guy called "fag face" getting on as you knew your journey would be polluted with his smoke until he got off. Bugger didn't look very healthy either.

I jacked the fags in at 2040 approx on 26th August 2014, in the area under the stand at TTOP. Last Superking from a pack of 10 I'd bought as a treat for my last day on the tabs. Haven't had  a craving at all since. Those e-cigs are superb. 

Reason for reply - I still find the smell of people smoking unobjectionable, even occasionally pleasant as olfactory memory associates the practise with good times. I'd given up for about a fornight when I approached a smoking shelter outside Jimmy's, and was physically unwell at the smell of people having smoked. Two totally different sensations right there. 

17 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Smoking in general is weird behavior. Why the f**k? Because you wanted to look cool at school and found yourself with a tobacco addiction?

Replace smoking with drinking and ask yourself the same question.

Smoking is cool, that's why millions do it, it's why our movies are filled with smokers, it's why numerous warnings of death and cancer printed on the packet still doesn't stop millions from buying them every single day. I've never understood the rage towards smokers. You think it's a stupid idea? Cool. 

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Well, ferchrissake don't go looking for the level of carcinogens in everday urban air, then. You will lose your shit.

Except there is nothing I can do about breathing in the atmosphere around me, expect for move to the wilderness. Whereas it’s quite easy to actively avoid breathing in people’s second hand smoke.

29 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have to admit when I see school kids with a fag in their hand they look absolutely ridiculous.

The smokers in my school would congregate in large groups round the back of a community centre, there would be 50-100 of them easily and they would all be smoking. It would surely be pretty intimidating for members of the public to walk past.