Unpopular opinions.

Pepperoni on a pizza is a horrible choice of topping. All that happens is the grease runs and overpowers everything. Even when it's from proper Italian takeaways.
That wouldn't be a problem in proper Italian takeaways because Italian pepperoni pizzas don't have meat.

10 hours ago, buchan30 said:

Across all 8 series their are good/memorable and bad episodes. Series 8 was actually my favourite and i think series 4 and 6 as well.

True, but the theme of the show changed with Series 3. Until that point it was about the last human alive, stuck in an empty godless universe with no company but a glitchy AI, a humanoid cat descendent with no empathy, and a hologram of possibly the worst human being to exist outside of Scottish football forums. It was pretty damned bleak.

Then Kryten arrived and the show turned into a group of chums gadding about the universe meeting weird Dr Who creatures and getting into sci-fi scrapes. It's a lot of fun, and I doubt they could have kept going with the initial premise for much longer anyway, but it's a different show. I've only read (well, listened to the audiobook of) one of the original novels, but it seemed a lot more like the show at the start. It was very good, BTW; that's another thing to add to the lockdown list.

Edit: they also ripped off John Carpenter's Dark Star quite chronically, but that's another matter!

Edited by BFTD

The American capitalist ideology of -  excel in life or get f**k all , helps bring out the best in people who have the brains and energy . Many of those same people in this country would just coast through life in mediocrity despite being capable of better , in much the same way that some players settle for being the big man at the old firm instead of taking their career as far as possible.

It's the getting f**k all part if you fail that's a bit harsh

The first series of Blackadder is far superior to the others.

As much as I like the first series, this is incorrect.
Red Dwarf started going downhill after the first two series.
I'd say the decline in quality started after series 3. Series 7 definitely the worst of the pre-2000s series.

19 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

The American capitalist ideology of -  excel in life or get f**k all , helps bring out the best in people who have the brains and energy . Many of those same people in this country would just coast through life in mediocrity despite being capable of better , in much the same way that some players settle for being the big man at the old firm instead of taking their career as far as possible.

I'm genuinely unsure about this - the fact that you spend your whole existence telling everyone else how great you and your country are doesn't make it true.  They tend to set the bar low for themselves and high for everyone else, resulting in exactly what you'd expect.  

Definitely an unpopular opinion so fair play.  

19 hours ago, effeffsee_the2nd said:

Only if your value judgements are measured in dollars. 

I quite like the last Fantastic Four film. It's an absolute mess in a variety of different ways, not least because it entirely forgets about needing a third act until the film's almost over, but it's such a masterpiece of poor design and decision-making that it becomes entertaining despite it's sheer banality.

I quite like Suicide Squad for the same reasons. They both feel like a behind-the-scenes story about how they got fucked up would be more interesting than the films themselves.

I kinda got the sense with Suicide Squad that there was something of a good movie hiding within it somewhere. Despite being a mess, I did enjoy it a bit. More down to the characters themselves than anything to do with the plot.

Interested to see another run taken at it.

Guest TheJTS98
On 12/01/2021 at 23:54, effeffsee_the2nd said:

This would be a good opinion if the playing field were level. But it's not. The deck is stacked heavily in favour of certain members and groups in society and heavily against others.

For example, Harvard's annual intake of new students is usually around a third 'legacy' families. Going to Harvard is a huge leg-up in life and around a third of people who get that leg up get it because mummy or daddy went there and are rich enough to sling Harvard a few quid. Or even in the most 'meritocratic' sense, if not through giving the uni money, at least were able to make the idea of Harvard perfectly attainable for their kids (while it is not for most), and able to provide a good home with the 'right' cultural influences and knowledge of the arts etc, probably private schooling, tutoring, and extra-curricular activities to help them get in. Other kids have no chance.

This is just one example of the complete lack of fairness in society. There are whole books full of others. American elections since 1988 have offered the voters seven chances choose a President called either Bush or Clinton. Who'd bet against a Trump on the ticket in 2024?

The idea of meritocracy is completely flawed. It is pure fantasy and a dangerous fantasy at that, since it justifies the power, wealth, and influence of those who benefit from it, while denigrating the efforts of those who never had anything like as good a chance.

The idea that western capitalism rewards life's hard-working geniuses is a fiction that ignores inheritance of wealth and influence, skewed educational opportunities, societal biases that open up work opportunities, and dumb luck. Lots of things in life are just luck. We'd be better off as a society recognising that. Anyone doubting that should consider that Ivanka Trump has attended G20 and consider the ludicrous chain of events that led that her getting there.

So, this American capitalist ideology you speak of is essentially a tool to preserve wealth, position, and influence in a small section of society in a self-perpetuating system that justifies itself by claiming to be a meritocracy, while the measures of that meritocracy are designed to keep others out.

Good opinion apart from that.

Edited by TheJTS98

On 18/01/2021 at 00:48, Theroadlesstravelled said:

The covid lockdown doesn’t really bother me.

I must admit the initial lockdown didn't bother me too much, I enjoy working from home, I'm saving a fair amount of cash and last year I would go for walks in the sunshine or sit outside with a few cans soaking up the sun. There was also the novelty of watching classic Euros games and classic Wimbledon matches and just felt like it was something we had to persevere with for a few months then back to some sort of normality but lockdown in winter is awful and the sooner it ends the better.