Unpopular opinions.

Na. Read a bit about this. Flavour wise a pizza isnt in long enough to get any tangible wood flavour. It's all about heat and heat retention. 
Also, for ease of use and wood (pellet or logs) being a pain in the hole, you probably use your gas one many times more resulting in more frequent pizza and getting better at it. 
Long story short, theres nothing in it for flavour but a huge amount in effort

FWIW, you definitely get that wood flavour with the oven I have. The base is brilliantly crispy as well.

I haven't had one from a gas oven but I'm confident I would be able to identify the one made in the wood oven as it has a distinct flavour.

Another tip when making pizza, go to your cash and carry for the mozzarella. I bought a big bag and never realised how shite shop bought mozzarella is until I did this.

3 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

FWIW, you definitely get that wood flavour with the oven I have. The base is brilliantly crispy as well.

I haven't had one from a gas oven but I'm confident I would be able to identify the one made in the wood oven as it has a distinct flavour.

Another tip when making pizza, go to your cash and carry for the mozzarella. I bought a big bag and never realised how shite shop bought mozzarella is until I did this.

Surely the mozzarella sold by cash and carries are sold to shops?

The stuff at cash and carry are huge bags that will likely be sold to takeaways. The only bags of mozzarella I've seen in supermarkets are wee packets.

Edited - unless by "shops" in my first post you thought I meant takeaways? It was supermarkets I was meaning.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:
1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

The stuff at cash and carry are huge bags that will likely be sold to takeaways. The only bags of mozzarella I've seen in supermarkets are wee packets.

Gotcha.

7 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Na. Read a bit about this. Flavour wise a pizza isnt in long enough to get any tangible wood flavour. It's all about heat and heat retention. 

Also, for ease of use and wood (pellet or logs) being a pain in the hole, you probably use your gas one many times more resulting in more frequent pizza and getting better at it. 

Long story short, theres nothing in it for flavour but a huge amount in effort

Hmm, not sure I buy that. With a wood one you can fire a meat joint in after you've finished the pizzas for dinner the next as well, which I guess you wouldn't be able to do with the gas one without leaving it switched on.

They're expensive though, was looking at the one my folks have and it's about £600 at the moment.

8 hours ago, die hard doonhamer said:

Hmm, not sure I buy that. With a wood one you can fire a meat joint in after you've finished the pizzas for dinner the next as well, which I guess you wouldn't be able to do with the gas one without leaving it switched on.

They're expensive though, was looking at the one my folks have and it's about £600 at the moment.

Yeah theres that. Wouldnt waste gas keeping it on for that long for sure. Certainly a trade off to be made depending on how you see yourself using it. I would never have taken the plunge for a brick building wood fired oven at the time. Had I known this 2020 was coming I may have saved up a bit and gone bigger, and I may still one day as I love cooking, but I recommend the gas fired one to anyone I speak to about it for all the reasons I have already mentioned.  

I have to concur with everyone by saying the best pizzas are from wee Italian takeaways. When I lived in Leith I’d go to Eatalias, very nice. La Favorita is great as well but a sit down restaurant more than a takeaway,

A few years ago when I worked for a large Edinburgh based banking group, we had a major IT issue (common occurrence) which took several days and nights of working to resolve. One night th shift manager got told by a higher up to order pizza for everyone on the company Amex. The guy asked how many people were in working, he was told about 50, so he ordered FIFTY large Dominos pizzas to be delivered, along with twenty five assorted sides. I couldn’t believe the restaurant took the order but for the rest of the week (it was my last week IIRC) there were discarded minging pizzas around the office.

My local Italian is annoying because its does brilliant pizza and terrible pasta [emoji20]
This is off-topic but I'm always reluctant to get pasta from anywhere that isn't my kitchen. If it's even the tiniest bit too soft then I want to spew.

Most pasta dishes are a piece of piss to make. I don't understand why people who only eat out once in a while order something they can easily make at home (see also burgers). Why not order something you'd never normally have?

NB I'm talking about orders at mid-range sit down, book a table places, not your local pub or takeaway.

On 08/12/2020 at 14:32, Thistle_do_nicely said:

bombay mix, across from the school. fully expect you/someone else to now jump in and tell you they're rank, but i like em

edit: Woody's next to the Jaconelli's (across from the police station) does a good pizza too imo, can't mind but there's a couple - think it might be the Shock n' Awe one on their menu that I'm really keen on, pretty nippy tho

Thanks. If you like them, charge on son, don't let anyone tell you any different. 

On 08/12/2020 at 14:46, Rugster said:

WHAT'S THE POINT YOU'LL JUST IGNORE THE RECOMMENDATION AND NOT GO!!!!!

My dear Rugster, I have come close to visiting, but I chose train home rather than a 3rd bloody Uber back from Edinburgh that year alone. 

On 08/12/2020 at 14:51, Bairnardo said:
On 08/12/2020 at 14:46, Rugster said:
WHAT'S THE POINT YOU'LL JUST IGNORE THE RECOMMENDATION AND NOT GO!!!!!

His treatment of your good self over the kebab shop recommendations is frankly vile. Its become so awkward I am considering going there myself just so that theres someone to pat you on the head and day well done....

If you could pick me up one as well, thanks. 

You thought my green dot to red dot ration was bad thus far.. 

The correct Star Wars order in best films to worst coming from someone that watched them all for the first time in 2019.

3, 6, 9, 5, 1, 7, 4, 8, 2

10 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

Most pasta dishes are a piece of piss to make. I don't understand why people who only eat out once in a while order something they can easily make at home (see also burgers). Why not order something you'd never normally have?

NB I'm talking about orders at mid-range sit down, book a table places, not your local pub or takeaway.

Aye on one level I'm sure that for example the lasagna in a good Italian restaurant is going to be fantastic, but even if it's going to be far better in the restaurant I can make lasagna myself any time I like. If I'm going out for a meal I want to eat something I'm not likely to be cooking myself.

6 hours ago, Stormzy said:

You thought my green dot to red dot ration was bad thus far.. 

The correct Star Wars order in best films to worst coming from someone that watched them all for the first time in 2019.

3, 6, 9, 5, 1, 7, 4, 8, 2

They're all pretty shite but whatever abomination had Jar Jar Binks was the worst movie of all time.

4 hours ago, Theroadlesstravelled said:

They're all pretty shite but whatever abomination had Jar Jar Binks was the worst movie of all time.

Jar Jar was a good character. Hated by old men that somehow forgot the existence of Ewoks and got all raging that they had some light relief in the film.