Unpopular opinions.

33 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Social media, filtering and camera effects etc allowed people to create versions of themselves on line. They are now trying to recreate these looks in real life and incorporating other adjustments they've seen others make. 

We have a directory at work and you're supposed to add a picture, there are clear instructions, despite this there are still photos uploaded that look like they were taken for "insta".

It's exactly this. Interesting few minutes in 'The Social Dilema' that touches upon it. No coincidence at all that despite staying relatively static for decades, since the advent of 'photo' forms of social media in around 2010-2011, instances of suicide, self-harm, body disfigurement and dysmorphia have utterly sky-rocketed in pre-teen and teenage girls. They see themselves on screens so often that their real-life visage becomes intolerably mediocre to them. 

Well I've learned 2 important life lessons today.

1) refrain from offering the benefit of my experience in telling lassies they look a right state. Its lust like being in the house ffs.

2) Change my profile photo. For clarity, I am not Terry-Thomas, nor have I ever been (although I love the idea of cutting about Hamilton in a tifter and cigarette holder).

😆👍

3 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Szamo not knowing who Terry Thomas was made me feel sad :(

It is sad. But kinda funny as well. 

The Germans probably have an extremely long composite word to describe the exact balance of that emotion. 

An emoji needs to be created. With those funny wee dots above it.

8 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

This thought popped into my head after having a look at the instagram of that Glasgow beautician that's been going viral with her saying she'll keep working through restrictions etc.

And let me preface what follows with aye I'm a massive hypocrite and absolutely wid if it came to it.

Lassies these days. The type who are into Love Island and all that. While I can appreciate they go to a lot of effort with their looks, going to the gym, clothes, makeup and all the rest of it, there's just something... off.. about it all. They all look like they're pretty girls and yet they slap on makeup with a brickie's trowel as if they're going on RuPaul's drag race, they wear these paint on clothes from Boohoo and Asos made by south Asian immigrants for illegal poverty wages in Leicester, scary numbers of them going to Turkey for cosmetic surgery, taking diet pills with god knows what in them that they bought off the internet. It's all a bit much, gives me that uncanny valley feeling. They're supposed to look sexy but they've gone too far with it all and it's triggering a fight or flight response.

ETA: this sort of thing:

image.png.f2d5ec6c30d964037201faedb6c87417.png

31 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I got the impression that Maradona was a completely unpleasant individual, with no redeeming personality traits.

He did have an impeccable sense of timing when it came to a cheeky handball or an 80 metre mazy goal

4 hours ago, Szamo's_Ammo said:

I have googled him now.

images.thumb.jpeg.90ab220e427c57ee2c2833330570630f.jpeg

This film title sounds like it could be based on attitudes around the Coronavirus pandemic.

Great film. He's got some great lines in it. 

It's a satire of the post-war consensus. Seems like a Golden Age now, cos even the baddies in it seem more moral than our present leaders. 

Oh, forgot to say, it's also funny.

I got the impression that Maradona was a completely unpleasant individual, with no redeeming personality traits.

Watch the documentary, Diego Maradona. He was the main family bread winner and took financial responsibility for his family from about 15. Still occupies all the room in Peter Shilton’s head and was a fucking tremendous footballer.
Obviously a very troubled guy but I doubt I would have been able to cope with what he did

Just now, NJ2 said:

Watch the documentary, Diego Maradona. He was the main family bread winner and took financial responsibility for his family from about 15. Still occupies all the room in Peter Shilton’s head and was a fucking tremendous footballer.
Obviously a very troubled guy but I doubt I would have been able to cope with what he did

I have watched it. Hitler was probably a nice enough kid as well but he went a bit awry later..

Gascoigne is not given much leeway, largely because of his wife beating...and playing for Rangers, but didn't Maradona get caught using the hand of God to batter his girlfriend?

Regarding the earlier comments about lassies, I think the whole thing started around the rise of celebrity culture.
Then social media jumped onto the bandwagon and the entire thing exploded.
Maybe it was just a few at first then more and now every lassie will want or need to look a certain way or they will be outcast or treated badly.
Programs like geordie shore towie or love Island only exaggerate it and the pressure that this puts on girls is insane.
Then you have the ridiculous situation of perhaps 80-90% of women totally insecure about themselves and needing to fill this with taking selfies or glamorous shots and uploading them for attention on a daily basis.
Its all really sad but its too far gone now.
People might say well they seem to enjoy doing it leave them alone its harmless. I'm not so sure.

For what its worth I think most of them look better without all the fake stuff and trying to like a duck.

I have watched it. Hitler was probably a nice enough kid as well but he went a bit awry later..
Gascoigne is not given much leeway, largely because of his wife beating...and playing for Rangers, but didn't Maradona get caught using the hand of God to batter his girlfriend?

I obviously missed the mass genocide bit of the documentary...
As for hitting women, not that I am aware of? By that, I mean I don’t see it listed in his Wikipedia.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Regarding the earlier comments about lassies, I think the whole thing started around the rise of celebrity culture.
Then social media jumped onto the bandwagon and the entire thing exploded.
Maybe it was just a few at first then more and now every lassie will want or need to look a certain way or they will be outcast or treated badly.
Programs like geordie shore towie or love Island only exaggerate it and the pressure that this puts on girls is insane.
Then you have the ridiculous situation of perhaps 80-90% of women totally insecure about themselves and needing to fill this with taking selfies or glamorous shots and uploading them for attention on a daily basis.
Its all really sad but its too far gone now.
People might say well they seem to enjoy doing it leave them alone its harmless. I'm not so sure.

For what its worth I think most of them look better without all the fake stuff and trying to like a duck.

Every lassie under 30 taking photos of themselves in a pub/club toilet mirror for why??????

Women are a very strange species and generally worth the watching

3 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

As for hitting women, not that I am aware of? By that, I mean I don’t see it listed in his Wikipedia.

I googled "Maradona girlfriend abuse" and apparently there's video but I didn't watch it so can't really comment. 

16 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Looks like it, I wasn't aware of that and he denied it both have addiction issues and obviously that will play into their behaviour but perhaps because Maradona was so good he will get a free pass.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.eurosport.com/football/maradona-accused-of-domestic-violence-after-video-leak_sto4714592/story-amp.shtml

6 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

https://www.itv.com/news/2014-10-28/diego-maradona-secretly-filmed-beating-his-girlfriend-after-row-over-mobile-phone

My point was he might have been a nice kid, but he didn't stay that way.