Unpopular opinions.

3 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It really is, see we can do this all day can't we? After Life is only remarkable because it combines the two forms of desperation which have largely defined his career outwith the office:

A desperation to have mass appeal by cramming as much sentimentality into whatever he makes as possible 

A desperation to be taken seriously as a "thinker," and show he doesn't give a shit about offending people.

The fact he creates a plot device (dead wife) to justify both those things in After Life is admittedly quite clever. 

I have no problem at all saying that almost everything he has made since extras wouldn't have gotten out of the pitch meeting if his name wasn't attached to it. Case in point his toe curlingly bad films. Sorry 

Having watched Afterlife recently I honestly believe it's the most glaring example of the dumbing down of popular culture. It's every bit as lowest common denominator as say Gogglebox but because it's incredibly mawkish and Gervais really sticks it to those 'christ tards' people elevate it to be something profound when it's the dramatic equivalent of liking the "I fucking love science" page and thinking you're an intellectual. 

ETA: although the narrative conceit of giving your main character who is just you with a different name a dead wife so everyone can tell you how brave and wonderful you are while you slay those sacred cows like astrology is really funny I'll give Gervais that.

Edited by NotThePars

Yuh huh yuh huh Mr galaxy brain. Do you really believe Gervais shouldn't have apologized to the families of disabled children who were offended (perish the thought) by his referring to people constantly as "mongs"? Was it a massive intrusion on his right to free expression that some people thought he had taken that a bit far.
Please tell us the signs that "edgy comedy" is dying or under serious threat due to bloomin PC brigade. Every single one of the three mentioned above have or have had in recent years major television shows and stand up specials, and I don't think anyone has directly compared them to someone like Manning. 
Complaining about censorship and free speech from massive platforms on social media, massively successful stand up tours and syndicated tv shows is hilariously stupid. Being taken in by it is honestly embarrassing. 
One of my favourite tv moments of recent years was Bill Maher's face when Bill Burr told him cancel culture was a stupid thing to get worried about and didn't really exist.

Have you watched any of the 3 guys mentioned live? I have and in each of their shows they've had to explain how a joke isn't offensive. Why on earth would a comedian be doing that if they didn't feel some heat on them for their material?

I can't comment on the "swampy" thing other than what I saw on one of his shows, which as I've already said, wasn't offensive if the context of the joke. If he's said it elsewhere as an offensive slur then I haven't seen it but would view it differently.

You seem pretty het up about it all though and I can't help but think you just really don't like the guy.

Is there a cut off point for where a 'comedian' doesn't have to apologise for what they say or are we supposed to just allow certain folk claim that their chosen career in being openly racist, homophobic and disablist is just part of the act and we're going to kill their livelihoods if we stop allowing them to be an arsehole? 

Having watched Afterlife recently I honestly believe it's the most glaring example of the dumbing down of popular culture. It's every bit as lowest common denominator as say Gogglebox but because it's incredibly mawkish and Gervais really sticks it to those 'christ tards' people elevate it to be something profound when it's the dramatic equivalent of liking the "I fucking love science" page and thinking you're an intellectual. 

ETA: although the narrative conceit of giving your main character who is just you with a different name a dead wife so everyone can tell you how brave and wonderful you are while you slay those sacred cows like astrology is really funny I'll give Gervais that.
I don't find After Life particularly funny tbh. But I don't think it's really about the comedy. It's a guy struggling to cope with the loss of his wife, hardly a good area to be joking about. It had light elements of comedy relief but I found it to be edging more on the side of drama than comedy.

I think it got the praise it deserved.

Is there a cut off point for where a 'comedian' doesn't have to apologise for what they say or are we supposed to just allow certain folk claim that their chosen career in being openly racist, homophobic and disablist is just part of the act and we're going to kill their livelihoods if we stop allowing them to be an arsehole? 
I'd say when it's openly abusive/unacceptable. Some people are offended by things that others aren't though which is what makes it a slippy slope and I'm a big believer in context. Offensive words in comedy aren't always offensive - see Sunny in Philly who use all manner of offensive words.

Gervais did a joke on cot death and a couple stormed out. It made the papers and he was slated for it. He pointed out that they had sat through other crude jokes about disabled people gay people etc. but then stormed out because they didn't like that part. It wasn't any more offensive than anything else in his show but because they didn't want to laugh about that he was out of line.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

Gervais did a joke on cot death and a couple stormed out. It made the papers and he was slated for it. He pointed out that they had sat through other crude jokes about disabled people gay people etc. 

danny devito wow GIF by QuickBooks

27 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Have you watched any of the 3 guys mentioned live? I have and in each of their shows they've had to explain how a joke isn't offensive. Why on earth would a comedian be doing that if they didn't feel some heat on them for their material?

I can't comment on the "swampy" thing other than what I saw on one of his shows, which as I've already said, wasn't offensive if the context of the joke. If he's said it elsewhere as an offensive slur then I haven't seen it but would view it differently.

You seem pretty het up about it all though and I can't help but think you just really don't like the guy.

Asking you questions you can't answer isn't being het up pal but nice try, we were talking about the existential threat of people being offended by comedy not Ricky Gervais particularly. 

I've seen specials by all three live but not the incidents mentioned. Did they explain that it wasn't offensive within the show? Because if so that's what we like to call a narrative construct and is a form of punctuation used consistently in stand up. See Stewart Lee directly addressing the daily mail after his bit about Jeremy Clarkson's kids. They also wouldn't have explained why something isn't offensive, because that isn't possible. They will have explained why the joke wasn't intended to be/shouldn't be considered offensive. Is this the only example you can find of the insidious march of cancel culture in comedy? It seems a little weak to me and courting this controversy hasn't done anything to stop their careers has it? 

I wasn't discussing any swampy thing, I don't know what that is. Again, feel free to Google his repeated use of the word "swampy", he ended up apologising for it and claiming he didn't know it meant disabled people (despite using it to say that people were behaving in the stereotypical manner of disabled people). Another light for free speech went out that day I'm sure you'll agree. 

It's very telling that you conflate the treatment of offensive content in Sunny with the above stand ups, as it couldn't be more different. Makes me suspicious you watch the Lethal Weapon episodes laughing because "that IS how black people talk!"

Eta just realised that Swampy is on the filter for a word derived from a central Asian nomadic people and used to describe those with Down's Syndrome

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

29 minutes ago, NotThePars said:

This kind of sums up my thoughts to be fair. He is the thick person's clever person

Asking you questions you can't answer isn't being het up pal but nice try, we were talking about the existential threat of people being offended by comedy not Ricky Gervais particularly. 

I've seen specials by all three live but not the incidents mentioned. Did they explain that it wasn't offensive within the show? Because if so that's what we like to call a narrative construct and is a form of punctuation used consistently in stand up. See Stewart Lee directly addressing the daily mail after his bit about Jeremy Clarkson's kids. They also wouldn't have explained why something isn't offensive, because that isn't possible. They will have explained why the joke wasn't intended to be/shouldn't be considered offensive. Is this the only example you can find of the insidious march of cancel culture in comedy? It seems a little weak to me and courting this controversy hasn't done anything to stop their careers has it? 

I wasn't discussing any swampy thing, I don't know what that is. Again, feel free to Google his repeated use of the word "swampy", he ended up apologising for it and claiming he didn't know it meant disabled people (despite using it to say that people were behaving in the stereotypical manner of disabled people). Another light for free speech went out that day I'm sure you'll agree. 

It's very telling that you conflate the treatment of offensive content in Sunny with the above stand ups, as it couldn't be more different. Makes me suspicious you watch the Lethal Weapon episodes laughing because "that IS how black people talk!"

It wasn't a joke they were narrating. They were bringing up people being offended in comedy and pretty much saying the same things that have been said on here.

If he has said that out with the context of a joke then it is offensive and he was correct to apologise. As I've already said, offensive language is acceptable assuming context is correct. Just using that word freely is an entirely different matter. Swampy is clearly autocorrect for the word we've been using.

If you're unable to have a reasonable conversation and instead prefer to insinuate I'm a fan of discrimination and a racist as you've so (un)subtly put in there then we'll leave it at that, thank you.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

It wasn't a joke they were narrating. They were bringing up people being offended in comedy and pretty much saying the same things that have been said on here.

If he has said that out with the context of a joke then it is offensive and he was correct to apologise. As I've already said, offensive language is acceptable assuming context is correct. Just using that word freely is an entirely different matter. Swampy is clearly autocorrect for the word we've been using.

If you're unable to have a reasonable conversation and instead prefer to insinuate I'm a fan of discrimination and a racist as you've so (un)subtly put in there then we'll leave it at that, thank you.

So just to summarize:

The only evidence you can find of the terror of offended people destroying comedy is some stand-ups deliberately inserting material into their shows to stoke the fires of it and grow a fan base.

You think people's use of language can actually be problematic and that context is important (but only you can choose what context is valid or invalid) and that apologising for poor choice of language isn't actually a threat to anything.

You are flouncing off because you are offended at a joke which, in context, was absolutely fine. 

What a dreadful mess to get yourself into to justify laughing at jokes about cot death and disabled folk

So just to summarize:
The only evidence you can find of the terror of offended people destroying comedy is some stand-ups deliberately inserting material into their shows to stoke the fires of it and grow a fan base.
You think people's use of language can actually be problematic and that context is important (but only you can choose what context is valid or invalid) and that apologising for poor choice of language isn't actually a threat to anything.
You are flouncing off because you are offended at a joke which, in context, was absolutely fine. 
What a dreadful mess to get yourself into to justify laughing at jokes about cot death and disabled folk

You forgot to add I'm a racist ;)

3 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
54 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:
If you can't understand that joke and think anyone was actually calling you a racist you've no business being out the house you moron

Moron now. And it's me who's apparently rattled.

You can't pull him up for saying it claiming he's rattled when you've been calling folk morons in previous posts. 

Unless it's an admission that you're both rattled then carry on. 🤠

You can't pull him up for saying it claiming he's rattled when you've been calling folk morons in previous posts. 
Unless it's an admission that you're both rattled then carry on. [emoji1783]
You keep your nose out, you're the only one who's had me rattled by using Danny against me :(

5 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

And based on your "Quite simply wrong" before conceding his films are bad, I would suspect the same.

Hey, it was my "Quite simply, wrong", not his.

Don't give him the credit for arrogantly dismissing someone's unpopular opinion in a thread specifically designed as a platform for providing them.