Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Monica: Screeching bully and control freak.

Chandler: Moody, miserable p***k who was a dick to his friends.

Phoebe: 'Kooky', 'wacky' attention seeking tosser who bullied Ross. Also a homophobe.

Joey: Sex offender and almost certainly a rapist.

Ross: Neurotic arsehole who's mental breakdown was played for laughs.

Rachel: Juvenile, entitled tosser who plays 'those games'. 

They were all such insufferable entitled bores as well. They lived a life of absolute comfort well beyond the reach of the majority yet complained about things all the time. Obviously you can be unhappy regardless of your level of comfort and finance, and mental illness can affect anyone regardless of circumstances, but it just seemed that these fools were all about drama for dramas sake. 

Chandler going in a big huff because of an event many years in the past (when Monica drops a knife that goes in to his toe) was one. Monica shagging her dad's pal and not seeing anything wrong with what could potentially be seen as a grooming angle is dreadful (he knew her since she was a kid). 

Quiet Ross Geller GIF by Friends - Find & Share on GIPHY

10 hours ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

Eastbound and Down is the greatest US comedy show of all time.

18 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

The first series specifically, is absolutely glorious.

When he crashes the car while pished then moves a sleeping Steve into the driver's seat had me howling for ages at the time. 

The Will Ferrell outtakes are gold:

1 minute ago, Dee Man said:

When he crashes the car while pished then moves a sleeping Steve into the driver's seat had me howling for ages at the time. 

The Will Ferrell outtakes are gold:

Its the daft wee bits of patter that always got me, his wee self made, self help tape. "I play real sports, i'm not trying to be the best at exercising" A particular one that buckled me was when they explained the wee lassies name was IIRC Rose after the Titanic character and KP looked at the laddie and went "Whats his name fucking Shrek?"

The office is absolutely in the category of classic british comedy. Pretty much everything Gervais has done since (extras just about gets a pass) has been boring unfunny dog dirt
^^^ Hasn't watched After Life type post.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:
2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:
The office is absolutely in the category of classic british comedy. Pretty much everything Gervais has done since (extras just about gets a pass) has been boring unfunny dog dirt

^^^ Hasn't watched After Life type post.

I have, it's absolutely dreadful

9 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

55 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Quite simply, wrong.

5 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:
I have, it's absolutely dreadful

It really isn't.

It really is, see we can do this all day can't we? After Life is only remarkable because it combines the two forms of desperation which have largely defined his career outwith the office:

A desperation to have mass appeal by cramming as much sentimentality into whatever he makes as possible 

A desperation to be taken seriously as a "thinker," and show he doesn't give a shit about offending people.

The fact he creates a plot device (dead wife) to justify both those things in After Life is admittedly quite clever. 

I have no problem at all saying that almost everything he has made since extras wouldn't have gotten out of the pitch meeting if his name wasn't attached to it. Case in point his toe curlingly bad films. Sorry 

16 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

It really is, see we can do this all day can't we? After Life is only remarkable because it combines the two forms of desperation which have largely defined his career outwith the office:

A desperation to have mass appeal by cramming as much sentimentality into whatever he makes as possible 

A desperation to be taken seriously as a "thinker," and show he doesn't give a shit about offending people.

The fact he creates a plot device (dead wife) to justify both those things in After Life is admittedly quite clever. 

I have no problem at all saying that almost everything he has made since extras wouldn't have gotten out of the pitch meeting if his name wasn't attached to it. Case in point his toe curlingly bad films. Sorry 

His films are bad. No argument there.

But I suspect the fact his name is attached to his work influences your opinion on him, based on the above.

Just now, Dons_1988 said:

His films are bad. No argument there.

But I suspect the fact his name is attached to his work influences your opinion on him, based on the above.

And based on your "Quite simply wrong" before conceding his films are bad, I would suspect the same.

If someone wants to set themself up as an auteur (which Gervais has) then people consider their work as a body as well as individually. Once you see the patterns in which they work it's hard not to notice them.

I look forward to his next project where an unlikeable person who says horrible things to people is redeemed because the script says so, it'll be a big shock for the viewers I'm sure. Perhaps a put upon woman will get her just rewards for putting up with his awful male characters, that would be nice and again very surprising.

Yet to see any of you lads saying why you actually like his work btw, nor actually challenge any of the points I've made. What do you find funny about Derek, specifically? Outside of the one good Liam Neeson sketch, what were the high points of *checks notes* Life's Too Short? Do you enjoy his OUTRAGEOUS! stand up? Is telling your mate to act as stupid as possible and pissing yourself laughing on a podcast really that funny? Help me understand