Unpopular opinions.

1 hour ago, MixuFruit said:

Have you ever seen It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia?

I haven't but I've heard it is funny.

The people saying it is funny also like Friends and The Big Bang Theory so that has put me off watching it.

Have you seen Schitt's Creek?

I haven't but I've heard it is funny.

The people saying it is funny also like Friends and The Big Bang Theory so that has put me off watching it.

Have you seen Schitt's Creek?

I don't mind Friends and TBBT, they are easy viewing. Sunny in Philly is an entirely different ball game though. It's both hilarious and extremely well written. Friends and TBBT are lowest common denominator comedies with little thought behind most gags, I know that but sometimes a light chuckle is all I'm after.

I have never belly laughed at a Sitcom so hard as Sunny (though Trailer Park Boys has run it extremely close). If you want a clever Sitcom that's close to the bone without being genuinely offensive then Sunny is what you need to watch. The first season is only ok on first viewing but you really appreciate it when you go back and view it after going further in to the show.

I will add that the characters are extremely dislikeable and you want no good to come their way yet you can't help but watch them to see how their ignorance continues to stifle their every plan.

Edited to add. I recently started Schitt's Creek and am enjoying that. Again, it's cleverly written. It's not the best Canadian Sitcom though as that goes to TPB which I'd suggest you give a go too.

7 minutes ago, MixuFruit said:

Technically inadmissable as it's Canadian.

Very surprised you're encountering folk who like Sunny and Big Bang Theory. They're at opposite ends of the spectrum imo.

Possibly my son's two favourite TV programmes, oddly enough.

It's all he knows Danny DeVito from  :lol:

22 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
11 hours ago, NotThePars said:
The Righteous Gemstones and Atlanta are maybe my two favourite US comedies from recent years although they both go in weird directions as they go on

I like Atlanta but I wouldn't call it a comedy. It has less laughs than Game of Thrones.

I get what you mean especially with the turn in season two but season one is some of the funniest television I've watched in years. The black network parody and the one where Paperboy gets into a feud with Zan are especially good. 

Edited by NotThePars

I find Miranda so offensive because the wife used to like it and make me watch it. It was just hideously unfunny.

I grew up with Friends so probably appreciate it for nostalgic reasons, I'm sure if it came out now I wouldn't even watch it or would find it dreadful if I did.

Can't understand people saying the characters are 'vile' though. Genuinely quite a weird opinion.

On 17/10/2020 at 22:12, Miguel Sanchez said:

Seinfeld is shite.

I'd never seen it before a few days ago. I saw a thread on a comedy forum mention that the whole thing was on all4 and that series 5 was the golden period. It's only ok. I'm not sure if the stand up bits are supposed to be shite, but i'd rather watch a whole set of Josh Widdecombe than Jerry. 

55 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I find Miranda so offensive because the wife used to like it and make me watch it. It was just hideously unfunny.

I grew up with Friends so probably appreciate it for nostalgic reasons, I'm sure if it came out now I wouldn't even watch it or would find it dreadful if I did.

Can't understand people saying the characters are 'vile' though. Genuinely quite a weird opinion.

Monica: Screeching bully and control freak.

Chandler: Moody, miserable p***k who was a dick to his friends.

Phoebe: 'Kooky', 'wacky' attention seeking tosser who bullied Ross. Also a homophobe.

Joey: Sex offender and almost certainly a rapist.

Ross: Neurotic arsehole who's mental breakdown was played for laughs.

Rachel: Juvenile, entitled tosser who plays 'those games'. 

They were all such insufferable entitled bores as well. They lived a life of absolute comfort well beyond the reach of the majority yet complained about things all the time. Obviously you can be unhappy regardless of your level of comfort and finance, and mental illness can affect anyone regardless of circumstances, but it just seemed that these fools were all about drama for dramas sake. 

Chandler going in a big huff because of an event many years in the past (when Monica drops a knife that goes in to his toe) was one. Monica shagging her dad's pal and not seeing anything wrong with what could potentially be seen as a grooming angle is dreadful (he knew her since she was a kid). 

Edited by DA Baracus

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Monica: Screeching bully and control freak.

Chandler: Moody, miserable p***k who was a dick to his friends.

Phoebe: 'Kooky', 'wacky' attention seeking tosser who bullied Ross.

Joey: Sex offender and almost certainly a rapist.

Ross: Neurotic arsehole who's mental breakdown was played for laughs.

Rachel: Juvenile, entitled tosser who plays 'those games'. 

:lol:

Come on man, it's a sitcom about a group of friends in their 20's navigating being single, not having much money and adjusting to being adults.

They are flawed and behave cuntishly at times, like all humans.

Also, it's a sitcom FFS.

2 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

:lol:

Come on man, it's a sitcom about a group of friends in their 20's navigating being single, not having much money and adjusting to being adults.

They are flawed and behave cuntishly at times, like all humans.

Also, it's a sitcom FFS.

Haha, I do probably over analyse it. I used to love it but I absolutely can't stand it now, and the characters are probably the main reason. I just think they're all awful yet we're supposed to love them.