Unpopular opinions.

48 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

This is the very thread for saying such things.

I knew it was to challenge a P&B orthodoxy, but it is a decent comedy.  Not an all-time great obviously, but amusing enough.  I don't think the upper class English woman thing plays well with lots of Scottish blokes.

It must be difficult to defend Miranda Hart as a victim of class/nationality-based discrimination when she's also possibly the least amusing comedian to hit TVs in the twenty-first century. You may well be right, but how would you know?

Just now, Tynierose said:

I'm sorry but Sarah Millican is even worse.

Assuming that Millican has never made you even crack a smile, that implies that Miranda Hart has made you smile at least once.

Minter.

11 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

It must be difficult to defend Miranda Hart as a victim of class/nationality-based discrimination when she's also possibly the least amusing comedian to hit TVs in the twenty-first century. You may well be right, but how would you know?

Nah, she's gently amusing in that British tradition of silly comedy.  

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I get a bit bored of comedians whose main schtick is "how fat am I!" like Jo Brand or "how tall and awkward am I!" like Miranda Hart, but once they get past that they can both be funny, so basically I agree with you.

1 minute ago, welshbairn said:

I get a bit bored of comedians whose main schtick is "how fat am I!" like Jo Brand or "how tall and awkward am I!" like Miranda Hart, but once they get past that they can both be funny, so basically I agree with you.

I agree regarding Jo Brand.  Dawn French used to rely far too much on the same thing.  Miranda goes beyond that though. Her sitcom has some good lines in it and its knowing stupidity has a certain appeal.

18 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

All that time on the Rangers threads has done terrible things to you.

2 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

Genuinely losing respect for a man named after an Alan Partridge joke here.

Not mutually exclusive.

Ach, you never had any respect for me anyway.

I knew Miranda was widely hated on here, which is partly why I piped up on this thread about her.  I'm not entirely sure why she's so universally loathed though.  Any thoughts, beyond just baldly stating that she's crap?

4 minutes ago, Empty It said:

I don't believe anyone in their right mind would find Miranda even slightly amusing, this must be an attempt at trolling.

That kind of logic never ceases to amaze, and annoy, me.

1. This is the unpopular opinions thread.

2. Your opinion isn't objective fact. Neither is his. If he likes something you don't, just grow up and deal with it.

5 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I knew Miranda was widely hated on here, which is partly why I piped up on this thread about her.  I'm not entirely sure why she's so universally loathed though.  Any thoughts, beyond just baldly stating that she's crap?

As previously mentioned, she's never once made me even crack a smile. That's pretty much all I'm looking for from these people.

I'm rating her show below Mrs Brown's Boys as I seem to remember liking Brendan O'Carroll on an episode of QI. I've never seen Citizen Khan.

Somebody's going to white-knight Mrs Brown's Boys now, aren't they.

1 minute ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

As previously mentioned, she's never once made me even crack a smile. That's pretty much all I'm looking for from these people.

I'm rating her show below Mrs Brown's Boys as I seem to remember liking Brendan O'Carroll on an episode of QI. I've never seen Citizen Khan.

Somebody's going to white-knight Mrs Brown's Boys now, aren't they.

Mrs Brown's Boys is absolutely appalling.  A dreadful programme, utterly devoid of wit.

10 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Not mutually exclusive.

Ach, you never had any respect for me anyway.

There's something inherently patronising about a lot of the sitcoms put out by the BBC over the past decade. Miranda, Not Going Out, Citizen Khan, Mrs. Brown's Boys, they all seem to be aimed at the lowest common denominator but in a deliberate rather than a knowing way, as if they're being made by people that think they're above the audience they're making it for but aren't admitting it.

Plus she's weird looking and has an awful voice.

Just now, Miguel Sanchez said:

There's something inherently patronising about a lot of the sitcoms put out by the BBC over the past decade. Miranda, Not Going Out, Citizen Khan, Mrs. Brown's Boys, they all seem to be aimed at the lowest common denominator but in a deliberate rather than a knowing way, as if they're being made by people that think they're above the audience they're making it for but aren't admitting it.

Nothing wrong with Citizen Khan.

7 minutes ago, Miguel Sanchez said:

A strange bracketing together of sitcoms.

Not Going Out is quite sharp.  There's nothing LCD about it and its appeal.  It's nowhere near Mrs Brown's Boys.