Unpopular opinions.

6 hours ago, NotThePars said:

I admire Mr Waldo ditching any sort of societal influence on the trades that specific genders take up in favour of getting the calipers out and measuring the female skull

Personally, I'd use a craniometer, but I never implied that.

And yet the gender equality paradox exists - countries that have have done more to remove social influence see a smaller amount of females in, for example, STEM.  The opposite of expected.   But you knew that didn't you?

The question is 'why'? 

21 minutes ago, Mr Waldo said:

Personally, I'd use a craniometer, but I never implied that.

And yet the gender equality paradox exists - countries that have have done more to remove social influence see a smaller amount of females in, for example, STEM.  The opposite of expected.   But you knew that didn't you?

The question is 'why'? 

Presumably there's a myriad of complex historical factors within each individual nation itself that influence which genders tend to enter which sector that go beyond wimmen's brains making them nesters and men's being hunters or whatever 19th century phrenology you're insisting on

On 14/09/2020 at 11:58, MixuFruit said:

A whole generation of guys have hobbled their social skills by spending too much time on the internet as teenagers and decided it's wummin's fault basically.

I find it interesting that the previous generation's outlet for a sense of purposelessness and a lack of outlet for masculinity was Fight Club, now it's an assortment of mentally ill people in online echo chambers. What a world.

Not sure how unpopular it is but people who are right into exercise/their fitness are among the most boring people in our society. I really couldn't care how or when people exercise.

^^^ doesn’t lift ^^^

I love training but I think that you have a point, I try to avoid talking to people about it when they clearly aren’t interested.

Anybody whose life revolves exclusively around one issue tends to be painfully dull. Whether it’s their diet, the love of their football team (or hatred of that other football team), their kids, whatever. 

Strive to be a well-rounded gentleman who can speak passionately on a multitude of topics, from breakfast components to the deficiencies of your partner, from minor daily annoyances to the attributes of Tennents lager and people will flock to your company. 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Not sure how unpopular it is but people who are right into exercise/their fitness are among the most boring people in our society. I really couldn't care how or when people exercise.

I made the mistake of once asking a colleague "good workout?" when he came back from the gym.  A simple "good" would have sufficed, not a 15 min rundown of which machines in which order and setting.

It's strange how people who pay large sums to spend a large chunk of their spare time listening to the same playlist on repeat and stare at a wall are rarely the life and soul of a party.

I made the mistake of once asking a colleague "good workout?" when he came back from the gym.  A simple "good" would have sufficed, not a 15 min rundown of which machines in which order and setting.
It's strange how people who pay large sums to spend a large chunk of their spare time listening to the same playlist on repeat and stare at a wall are rarely the life and soul of a party.

Ah, you got what you deserved then. Never ask about it [emoji38]. I enjoy time on my console when it's possible and obviously QoS but it's not something I discuss unless someone asks me about it in which case I think it's fair game to go on a bit. Though another pet hate of mine is when people ask me about QoS when they know or care not a jot about football. It's just them being polite I suppose but I always think "why ask if you don't care?"

I'm the opposite, fitness daft but other than on the fitness thread I don't discuss it much.

Someone at work talked about doing 20 pressups a day as a challenge on facebook. Then everyone was on about exercise. I'm going to try doing five etc.

Any response from me would sound like I was showing off so didn't even take part. Pleased that anyone wants to try tbh.

Dont feel like taking about it as its just something I do for me and need to do it for mental health reasons.

There is one guy who is pretty serious and sometimes we discuss food or different ideas which is good.

Would never bore someone with what i do with an entire workout. The show off types are usually January quiter types.

12 hours ago, ICTChris said:

^^^ doesn’t lift ^^^

I love training but I think that you have a point, I try to avoid talking to people about it when they clearly aren’t interested.

I think it's more a case of fairly socially unaware people confusing their passion as something other people will care about.

I love my exercise too but I couldn't care less what my colleague at work can bench. 

Very much in the same vein as a 'just the 8 pints for me last night then'.

I think it's more a case of fairly socially unaware people confusing their passion as something other people will care about.
I love my exercise too but I couldn't care less what my colleague at work can bench. 
Very much in the same vein as a 'just the 8 pints for me last night then'.
Having a single passion that one talks of incessantly is the work of a simpleton though, let's be honest. And when that obsession is something as mind numbing as going to a gym, it is multiplied many many times.

54 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

People who are quick to tell you how much they don't like something are generally bores as well. I've met a few folk recently who don't miss a beat when given the chance to say how little they are interested in football.

When you say "given the chance" do you mean when you stop for breath while boring the arse of them about football?