Unpopular opinions.

6 hours ago, John Lambies Doos said:
17 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:
It’s not a symbol of hate/racism it’s one of resistance against oppression that goes back to black panther and Olympic Games protests.
The hand gesture I mean not oppression.

Oh I appreciate that, but now it seems to have been highjacked.

By whom? 

Particularly wild take this.

Braveheart is a brilliant film, like 9/10 good.

We all know that it's historical accuracy is about 2/10 at best, but did it ever claim to be historically accurate?

Mel Gibson's Scottish accent is not bad. There are times where it sounds almost Russian, but for the most part it's fine. Brendan Gleeson however pulls off a flawless Scottish accent. In fact I never knew he was Irish until many years after I saw the film (and I was too young to see it in the cinema; my older brother was nearly 16 but was 6'2 so got to see it in Robin's in Dunfermline; back then they had an interval halfway through films that long).

Anyway, great film and phenomenal soundtrack.

Also, don't watch Angus Macfayden's Bruce 'follow up' because it's boring.

39 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Braveheart is a brilliant film, like 9/10 good.

We all know that it's historical accuracy is about 2/10 at best, but did it ever claim to be historically accurate?

Mel Gibson's Scottish accent is not bad. There are times where it sounds almost Russian, but for the most part it's fine. Brendan Gleeson however pulls off a flawless Scottish accent. In fact I never knew he was Irish until many years after I saw the film (and I was too young to see it in the cinema; my older brother was nearly 16 but was 6'2 so got to see it in Robin's in Dunfermline; back then they had an interval halfway through films that long).

Anyway, great film and phenomenal soundtrack.

Also, don't watch Angus Macfayden's Bruce 'follow up' because it's boring.

I bumped into my old Mediaeval Scottish history tutor after I'd graduated and asked him what he thought of the film.

A load of rubbish but Edward I was probably like Patrick McGoohan's portrayal of him was the answer.

On 20/08/2020 at 12:48, die hard doonhamer said:

Photograph and How You Remind Me are top quality tunes.

That's not an unpopular opinion. Just a wrong one.

Nickelback are and always were a crime against music.

Weddings are generally great days out but I’ll never understand people spending an absolute fortune, more often than not when they can’t really afford it. It really is all about show now, and “keeping up with the joneses”

Saying that, my mate married into serious money last year. 3 day wedding, all food, drink etc paid for the entire weekend. The total bill would be well into 6 figures paid by the brides dad, something he could afford easily. The whole weekend was outstanding from start to finish, best wedding I’ve ever been to and more than likely ever will go to. Even if I had that sort of money, I couldn’t justify it for one day, or in their case 3 days.

One of her friends is getting married next year, spent almost 30k so far, with the bill still rising. The girl works part time and the guy has twice recently been under threat of redundancy. After the wedding they’re going to start saving a deposit to buy a house. I can’t get my head round the fact they’d blow 30k on one day, then start from scratch trying to save a house deposit while renting. Brides dad has also paid for a large chunk of the wedding. Something I don’t think I’d be comfortable doing, given their circumstances.

I’m currently engaged, wedding will be small and will cause a lot of grief amongst family, as majority of them won’t be invited. We’re not really bothered about impressing, or offending anyone with our plans.

Back on topic. I’m not particularly one for a fry up, but on the odd occasion I will partake. Spent the last few days at a hotel in #perthshire (I should be in San Francisco, but that’s for another thread ((pttgoyn)), and the fried breakfast was a delight. Anyway, I’m of the (I assume) unpopular opinion that black pudding is a better breakfast staple than haggis.

Back on topic. I’m not particularly one for a fry up, but on the odd occasion I will partake. Spent the last few days at a hotel in #perthshire (I should be in San Francisco, but that’s for another thread ((pttgoyn)), and the fried breakfast was a delight. Anyway, I’m of the (I assume) unpopular opinion that black pudding is a better breakfast staple than haggis.
All I have to say on the cooked breakfast subject is, as always, the "full english" is a fucking myth and is done vastly better up here. Square sausage, tattie scone and haggis ensure that a Scottish breakfast is light years ahead of pishy English ones.