Unpopular opinions.

27 minutes ago, Quiet Riot said:

Anybody who uses Spotify or any of the other streaming services obviously doesn't care about music.  The sound quality is appalling.  If a song is worth listening to then it's worth buying the CD.

Okay, nerd.

3 hours ago, MixuFruit said:

My unpopular opinion: stealing most of the music you listen to but paying full whack for an album from artists you really like is more ethical than paid streaming.

What about stuff you enjoy but not enough to buy? 

Streaming is a great way to get money to the squad players on the fringes of the first team on a pay per play basis. 

2 hours ago, Quiet Riot said:

Anybody who uses Spotify or any of the other streaming services obviously doesn't care about music.  The sound quality is appalling.  If a song is worth listening to then it's worth buying the CD.

Pfft. Recorded music is for heathens. Nothing beats the dress circle at la scala for acoustics. 

3 hours ago, Quiet Riot said:

Clearly nonsense. Tidal offers (as one example) “master” recordings at better than CD sample rates if you are prepared to pay for the top monthly subscription. 

6 hours ago, Quiet Riot said:

Wat.

You can change the sound quality in settings. 

5 hours ago, Munter said:

Clearly nonsense. Tidal offers (as one example) “master” recordings at better than CD sample rates if you are prepared to pay for the top monthly subscription. 

I've tried to get Tidal working on my iPad and on my phone I take to gym or on runs. It won't work on either. It's - twice - been free trials I've 'bought' off Groupon so that might have something to do with it but there's a few folk I know who have had exactly the same problems with the service. 

See, this is my issue with music these days - paying for subscriptions. Not only do we have standard subscriptions but we’ve got premium ones as well! Folk just don’t seem interested in owning music anymore. I still make a point of buying CD’s of albums I really like. I like actually owning a hard copy, something I can hold in my hand and look at. If I want to get into new bands I’ll listen on YouTube first. If I find myself listening to them often I’ll then buy their music.

I despise subscription culture. People will just pay money for the rest of their days for things that they will never own.

11 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

See, this is my issue with music these days - paying for subscriptions. Not only do we have standard subscriptions but we’ve got premium ones as well! Folk just don’t seem interested in owning music anymore. I still make a point of buying CD’s of albums I really like. I like actually owning a hard copy, something I can hold in my hand and look at. If I want to get into new bands I’ll listen on YouTube first. If I find myself listening to them often I’ll then buy their music.

I despise subscription culture. People will just pay money for the rest of their days for things that they will never own.

You don't own the music. You own a bit of plastic. 

9 hours ago, Quiet Riot said:

Rubbish. A streaming service played through a really good streamer, amp and speaker set up is outstanding. The sound quality will be appalling if played through stuff not fit for purpose. Still nothing to beat playing LPs through a good system, though.

You don't own the music. You own a bit of plastic. 

Sakes man, must you be so petty. You know what I mean.

Say I’ve got visitors round for a few drinks. I’m hardly going to say “would you like to see my Spotify playlist that I’ve made?” On the other hand I could have a CD or record collection sitting there which people can actually look at, look at the front and back covers or open it up and read the booklet. It makes music more enjoyable IMO.

22 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Sakes man, must you be so petty. You know what I mean.

Say I’ve got visitors round for a few drinks. I’m hardly going to say “would you like to see my Spotify playlist that I’ve made?” On the other hand I could have a CD or record collection sitting there which people can actually look at, look at the front and back covers or open it up and read the booklet. It makes music more enjoyable IMO.

I do like the paraphernalia that comes with physical media: the cover art, the track info etc and i appreciate that you can't skin up on an mp3file. 

There's upsides to subscription too. I'd say about half of the tracks i have on my sd card are also on cds that are in my attic and only have a couple of listenable songs due to scratches and cracks. About a quarter are tracks i' d never have encountered without random playlists and probably wouldn't ever buy a whole album of. So less fragile, more diverse. 

1 hour ago, jamamafegan said:

In my opinion you simply can't beat owning a physical copy of an album, i buy a lot of vinyl and can spend hours looking at the artwork and reading the sleeve notes whilst listening to the music.