Unpopular opinions.

Dog social psychology is more higherarchical than ours. 
Dogs treat their owners as a dominant member of the pack. At the risk of anthropomorphism, that relationship is akin to one of love and respect.
However, it is not mutual in the same way that love and respect from a fellow human more often is, or at least should be. 
Dog owners effectively exploit the social psychology of lower animals to receive that unconditional love/respect-like emotion.  For the vast majority of dog owners who treat their dogs well and love them, it probably feels like a reciprocal relationship.
But the dog doesn't love you because you love it, it would love you the same if you kicked it and fed it gruel. Because dogs have no self respect. 
Cats however are evil geniuses. I am comfortable with the mutual suspicion and distrust between me and the cat that lives at my house. 

“Higherarchical”

1 hour ago, engelbert_humperdink said:

On the point of Jack russels as small as they are I wouldnt dare lump then in with other small dogs. They are ferocious hunters with attitude.  An old flatmate of mine had a jack russel and they are barry dogs if a little bonkers.

And are tiny. The only way one of these fuckers damages a Rottweiler or Doberman is as a choke hazard.

Dogs are lovely charming creatures

Cats are mysterious aloof creatures

I love both.

People who keep reptiles or lizzards as pets are usually a bit odd. There's something not quite right about it and I'm sure that its not a total coincedence that all the people I've known to keep them also have other strange traits such as bright pink hair, multiple facial piercings, coming out as lesbians in their 30s and leaving their wives for school age children.

5 minutes ago, Doctor said:

Dogs are lovely charming creatures

Cats are mysterious aloof creatures

I love both.

People who keep reptiles or lizzards as pets are usually a bit odd. There's something not quite right about it and I'm sure that its not a total coincedence that all the people I've known to keep them also have other strange traits such as bright pink hair, multiple facial piercings, coming out as lesbians in their 30s and leaving their wives for school age children.

The guy in Bradford who murdered a load of women with a crossbow had pet snakes and lizards.  He used to walk the lizard on a lead.

Conclusive proof that people who keep cold blooded animals as pets are fucking weirdos.

I’m walking into an obvious slagging here but I had 2 leapord geckos and then a bearded dragon in my teens - early 20’s. Quite enjoyed the look of a well kept vivarium and enjoyed watching them walking about the place and eating crickets/locusts. The geckos were a bit boring as they are nocturnal but bearded dragons are non stop on the move and genuinely enjoy human interaction. Don’t think anyone I knew ever thought they were a strange choice of pet. 

My pal had a bearded dragon called Bob, it was a lovely wee thing and it would happily sit on your shoulder as you watched TV. He's not a 30 year old lesbian with pink hair and I'm not aware of any crossbows under his ownership. I accept he may have been the exception to the rule though.

3 hours ago, throbber said:

But your dog doesn’t know how long you are going to be gone for, whether it’s 10 minutes or 10 days. It is still worried that you aren’t coming back and it’s being abandoned so is happy when you come back. I’m not doubting that they are loyal and loving animals, I just think a lot of dog owners overestimate the strength of their relationships with their pets. 

The Evening News headline tonight:

THROBBER IN "GREYFRIARS BOBBY WAS A C*NT" CLAIM ROW

Spoiler

probably not the first time Throbs has been the subject of an Evening News headline to be fair... !

25 minutes ago, Shotgun said:

Is this a euphemism?

Sadly no, and my girlfriend was never really fond of my bearded dragon so I doubt I will ever own one again. I know It sounds ridiculous but a vivarium can add a great deal to the ambiance of any room and is part of the reason there are so many normal reptile enthusiasts out there. 

12 minutes ago, throbber said:

Sadly no, and my girlfriend was never really fond of my bearded dragon so I doubt I will ever own one again. 

9 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Is this a euphemism?

Honest to doG, when I first read Throbber's post, I thought it said "my girlfriend was never really fond of a bearded dragon", and thought he really was using a euphemism. 😁

8 minutes ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Is this a euphemism?

Nope, she just said she found it creepy and didn’t like it’s scaly green skin and unpredictable/erratic movements. She would always leave the room when ever I took him out to play as well.